Pre-Game Talk: The Final Week (@VGK, vs LA x2)

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Why? Those remaining 2 games versus LA could leapfrog the Avs over Car, Fla and Pitt, all teams we could potentially meet in the SCF.

Im more concerned with seeding and beating VGK as a point over home ice advantage in the SCF

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I still think our #1 priority should be staying ahead of Minnesota. They have two games left against a St. Louis team that is going to be resting a lot of guys. Forget Vegas, I think it's very likely they win out and potentially knock us down to third in the division if we're not careful.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
AJ was saying yesterday that journalists are now told by the league to submit their Norris ballot ASAP.

There's a good chance that the vast majority of the votes will be in already before the end of the season, especially now with Fox', Letang's and Hedman's seasons being over.

So it looks like no matter what Makar does in the last week, it will have little to no impact on the Norris vote.
What’s the hurry?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I think we beat Vegas. I think Cale wants the Norris more than he lets on. He’s simply a much better hockey player than anyone on the teams he faces this week. I think he takes over and tries to earn the Avs the #1 seed while trying to earn himself a Norris at the same time.
How likely does he actually take it?

Azrael89

Feb 13, 2017

Not a good sign. Expect plenty of AHL guys playing tomorrow.

Apparently home ice isn’t a priority at all. Or the roster is so injury riddled it doesn’t matter where the Avs place because they can’t ice a competitive roster anyway.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I guess it would be weird to abandon their strategy late in the season.

Bednar said in training camp that they would rest guys when they had minor injuries and that being healthy for the playoffs was the priority. That’s exactly what they’ve done all year.

They’re prioritizing health over getting 1st place in the division. We’ll see if it pays off.

Reactions: jabubenice

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Just play bunch of AHLers and goon it up against Vegas. Take runs at Kolesar and Reaves etc...

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm guessing we might see some young guys play against LA if the Avs lose to Vegas. That could be why they made some more call ups. I can't see them resting with the top seed on the line.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Even if we beat Vegas, there’s no way they lose to the Sharks so we would have to win all 3 of the last games to get the outright win in the division (don’t know who has the tiebreakers between us and Vegas).

Either way, I’d rather just rest guys and end up in 3rd than risk our star players against Vegas this close to playoffs.

Forceberg

Mar 9, 2012
If we lose against Vegas I say rest every top player for the last 2 games. Makar, Rants, Landy, Toews, Gru...

That's far more important than home ice.

Ray Bourque said home ice is very important. :naughty:
But maybe not this year.

Last edited:

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Win or loss tonight, who cares.

I don´t want anyone on our team to get hurt. I want a healthy squad for the playoffs. That´s all i wish for at this point.

Reactions: Peter Peckerwood

SD Avs Fan

Jul 1, 2019
I am a little surprised by the reaction. The Avs should be going all out to finish as high as possible. The best way to go into the playoffs is by playing meaningful games not by worrying about resting guys. That can backfire for the playoffs as there will be alot of rusty guys that haven't played for awhile. We all know how the Avs do after long layoffs. The team itself might not have had a layoff but many of the player will have. If the Avs worry about merely staying healthy they won't be in playoff mode and it won't matter anyway. I do not have a good feeling about this post season.

SD Avs Fan

Jul 1, 2019
Look at the home records (most of it without any fans at all) and tell me it doesn't matter.

Vegas 21-4-2
Colorado 20-4-2
Minnesota 21-5-2

All three teams in the top 5 of all NHL teams at home. Nah but lets just rest everyone and hand over home ice. I don't get it. If the players can't stay healthy for the last 3 games of the regular season what is it gonna be like when the ramped up intensity of the playoffs happen.

As far as I am concerned the playoffs start in Vegas tonight.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Look at the home records (most of it without any fans at all) and tell me it doesn't matter.

Vegas 21-4-2
Colorado 20-4-2
Minnesota 21-5-2

All three teams in the top 5 of all NHL teams at home. Nah but lets just rest everyone and hand over home ice. I don't get it. If the players can't stay healthy for the last 3 games of the regular season what is it gonna be like when the ramped up intensity of the playoffs happen.

As far as I am concerned the playoffs start in Vegas tonight.
Home ice would obviously be preferable, but Colorado are 2-1-1 in away games in Minnesota, including an OTL with Miska in net.

5-1 W
3-4 OTL
5-4 W
3-8 L

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad