The Final Official Crosby Thread(all Talk Goes Here, Punks...or Else)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
mytor4 said:
odds are against the rangers in the overall picture. its 42 balls against 2 and i for one will laugh when anyone but the rangers get crosby.
I know the odds. But you don't. It's 48:3, not 42:2. I'm saying that if we get Crosby, everyone can ***** as much as they want.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Vincent_TheGreat said:
They may be the biggest media market, but the biggest hockey market is Toronto, no doubt!
Yeah, I don't think anyone's really disputing that. Toronto is definitely the biggest hockey market in the world. But if the Rangers don't get Crosby, I hope he goes to Montreal, for his sake.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
New York, LA, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, Denver, and Detroit would all be great destinations for Crosby (for the NHL's sake I mean). Toronto? Not so much. Its still a Canadian city.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
"And the Lord said: 'Let us make Crosby a Ranger.' And Crosby was made a Ranger and it was good."
--Book of Gretzky, Chapter 99, Verse 87

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
My own Crosby wish-list...

Edmonton #1 (Of Course!!!)
Montreal #2 (Just to get the franchise back into competing against the Yanks for most Pro Championships)
Chicago #3 (Poor 'Hawk fans deserve better as an original 6 team)
Ottawa #4 (could create a great dynasty)
#5 (anyone not named Flames/Leafs/Rangers!!!)

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
nazzy said:
Here you Laugh fans.. now its guaranteed Toronto will not get Crosby. :biglaugh:

Party on Wayne!!! Now if you could just go ahead and do that for the Flames and Rangers as well!!! :biglaugh:

NYRGoalieGlut*

Wranglers110 said:
Just heard on ESPN's "Pardon the Interruption" show by Jay Mariotti:

"Who's Sidney Crosby? He's not LeBron James." :biglaugh:

You really took it out of context. All he meant is that he's not a big enough star to make people like hockey in America. That's true, no one's a big enough star. Until Americans think that hockey was invented in America it won't be popular here.

As far as the other stuff. You people need to grow up. Until you prove that the Rangers did something illegal (I mean against hockey rules) there's no case. You can't be arbitrary and say. Well teams that fit this criteria will get 3 balls except for the Rangers. Just grow up and stop whinning. Rigging the lottery is wrong either way, and I hope it's not rigged. It's not more wrong if it's the Rangers, either.

The Dopefish

Jul 22, 2005
Springfield, MA, USA
New York is the last team that deserves SC. They've spent a crap-ton of money and haven't seen the Cup finals since 1995.

Now, here's who I think deserves him the most:

1. Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh may not be the big market they (read: the media) is asking for but it would be a good place for him to start. He could turn out to be not as good as they're saying (unlikely), but what a blow it would be if he ended up in NYC and the combination of failing and media scrutiny would be even more destructive. Pittsburgh is probably a closet hockey town (I mean, they're not a baseball or basketball town, and football in Pittsburgh doesn't last past January :D) and another Mario-esque player will probably help their economics. If there is any justice they'll win the lottery. (I also say Pitt because I'm a Pens fan. :D)

2. Boston. The Bruins have been out of the Cup finals for longer than the Rangers, but not for a lack of trying. Boston is a B-class market and the Bruins will like to have someone for Joe Thornton to hand the reins over to. Boston is the championship capital of the US right now (less basketball) and the Bruins are positioned well enough to make a run without him...but with him, they'd be a near-lock for Cup finalists. (I also say Bruins because they're my local team. :))

OK, onto the non-personal preference picks.

3. Los Angeles. In deeply thinking about it, LA would make perfect sense: A-class market, southern market, history with Gretzky. Now, LA is a basketball town and has plenty of other teams but a well marketed Crosby (like a well marketed Gretzky) could make a decent impact.

4. Montreal. The royalty of the NHL has been in a similar boat to the Rangers, having been out of the finals for a decade. The Habs like their local talent anyway.

Any of the other B-class markets (Toronto, Chicago, Washington...Detroit?) would be reasonable.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
NYRGoalieGlut said:
You really took it out of context. All he meant is that he's not a big enough star to make people like hockey in America. That's true, no one's a big enough star. Until Americans think that hockey was invented in America it won't be popular here.

As far as the other stuff. You people need to grow up. Until you prove that the Rangers did something illegal (I mean against hockey rules) there's no case. You can't be arbitrary and say. Well teams that fit this criteria will get 3 balls except for the Rangers. Just grow up and stop whinning. Rigging the lottery is wrong either way, and I hope it's not rigged. It's not more wrong if it's the Rangers, either.
If we don't get him, people will laugh at us just because we didn't get lucky, but if we get him, everybody will scream 'fix'!

The Rangers are the team that everybody loves to hate. That's why we don't 'deserve' Crosby. I would say that next to Blackhawk fans, we (The fans) derve him the most. Chicago has had Bill Wirtz, which is enough torturing, and we have had Dolan and Sather manning the ship. That's torture enough for the fans. And we haven't made the playoffs in 8 years (7 hockey seasons, just wanted to make it seem more torturous ;) ).

And BTW, I never said that the ownership deserved him. No ownership deserves him after what they have done to our sport.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Soooo.... pittsburgh eh?

Screw what's good for the NHL. I'm happy for him, he'll get to play with Mario for a little while at least, which should be good for him.

espo*

So what does everyone here think his best case scenario for points is with the pens next year.?..To me,i think he could possibly max out at 55.I can't see him getting any more then that his first year

The Dopefish

Jul 22, 2005
Springfield, MA, USA
First of all, he's going to start one way or another. What line he's on or what position he plays is the big question. If the Pens can thieve Malkin back from Russia you're possibly looking at a Lemieux-Malkin-Crosby line (and this is before free-agency). The first thought of that being, "Wait, that's three centers on the same line." Well, Mario once played the wing in a comeback and if Crosby is as flexible as they're touting he and/or the other two probably could do the same. And, as we're all well aware, Mario Lemieux is a proven point machine.

In this new day and age where obstruction is a thing of the past (I'll believe it when I see it) as well as the various other "improvements" and the competition committee, one would hope we could see the sort of point production that was around before the last lockout. Let's refresh with the last 20 seasons of points:

03-04: St. Louis; 38-56-94
02-03: Forsberg; 29-77-106 (3)
01-02: Iginla; 52-44-96
00-01: Jagr; 52-69-121 (2)
99-00: Jagr; 42-54-96
98-99: Jagr; 44-83-127 (3)
97-98: Jagr; 35-67-102 (1)
96-97: Lemieux; 50-72-122 (2)
95-96: Lemieux; 69-92-161 (10)
94-95: Jagr; 32-38-70 (lockout)
93-94: Gretzky; 38-92-130 (8)
92-93: Lemieux; 69-91-160 (10)
91-92: Lemieux; 44-87-141 (9)
90-91: Gretzky; 41-122-163 (10)
89-90: Gretzky; 40-102-142 (10)
88-89: Lemieux; 85-114-199 (9)
87-88: Lemieux; 70-98-168 (10)
86-87: Gretzky; 62-121-183 (7)
85-86: Gretzky; 52-163-215 (10)
84-85: Gretzky; 73-135-208 (10)

For me, personally, the goal of the competition committee should be to find ways to get the best scorers back to at least 1.5 PPG (123 points). The 150 point player may be a stretch (can you imagine Mario staying in Pittsburgh with the kind of money he could've commanded if he played in his prime during the last CBA and he wasn't a man about the team?) and the 200 point player should be an impossibility.

That said, I don't see any reason SidCros can't get 100 points this season if he plays 82 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad