The Farce that is Keith Yandle's "Iron Man Streak"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Since when is "hits taken" a positive measure?

Using the data you referred to, for this year, the top 20 guys in hits taken all all junk for the most part.

When referring to players in the top 20 least hits taken, half the list is all-stars.

The OPs point is that he's giving the puck away to avoid the hit. Which is pretty much the worst thing a defenseman can do.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
The OPs point is that he's giving the puck away to avoid the hit. Which is pretty much the worst thing a defenseman can do.
Exactly, and he "avoids hits" at literally double the next NHL defenseman. This is a clear sign he is doing it with purpose. His stats from before the last 3 seasons indicate he was taking an average of 2.6 hits a game, meaning he was more willing to "go into the dirty areas" to make a play.

He actively avoids doing it nowadays, and last night's game against Toronto had multiple examples in it.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
A248B0C8-A85F-4436-B7B0-F381401B285E.png

At this point everyone should know that Yandle isn’t a very useful player other than on the power play.

The problem is that it takes like 5 years for people here to notice a player has gotten worse. Most people here still think Doughty is an elite defenseman as well.

jetsfan91

May 29, 2013
Yeah.. avoiding hits is a good thing pal. Getting clobbered doesn’t make you tougher. I couldn’t disagree more with your statement.

Reactions: stopclickbait

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
Saw the first few comments and skimmed through the OP but just came here to say I think Yandle is one of the most underrated players of the last 10 years, I loved him with the Rangers and he was badly underused

Reactions: stopclickbait

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Saw the first few comments and skimmed through the OP but just came here to say I think Yandle is one of the most underrated players of the last 10 years, I loved him with the Rangers and he was badly underused

He's not the same player... Honestly he should be benched.

Reactions: senior edler

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Yeah.. avoiding hits is a good thing pal. Getting clobbered doesn’t make you tougher. I couldn’t disagree more with your statement.

Avoiding hits that are required to make a defensive play is not a good thing.

I get what some are saying about how he's an offensive dman and tries to be elusive. But he's taking half the amount of hits as the next lowest guy. The only way you do that is too actively avoid contact even when you need to take it to make a play.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Does the fact that the top 20 in giveaways/60 has four other defensemen who played for Florida factor into this?

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
did you just steal this from reddit and take credit for it or are you the same guy?

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
It's really weird to see you try and spin Yandle's elusiveness and his ability to avoid being hit as a negative thing.

Or, he's actually watching his player on a game-to-game basis and sees something with his eyes that you don't see.

"Elusiveness" :laugh:

Demandedace

Apr 9, 2015
Didn’t Yandle get his teeth blasted out just this season and say “screw it” to come back later on? Seems like he’s a more hardcore dude than you are

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
If you are giving up the puck to avoid the hit, um, no?
It's impossible to back that notion up with statistics, though. You would have to watch every single Florida game to see if he's giving up the puck all of the time to avoid hits and give a subjective opinion. Yandle is an offensive defensemen who takes a lot of risks with the pucks. Yes it leads to turnovers, but it also leads to a lot of points.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
It's impossible to back that notion up with statistics, though. You would have to watch every single Florida game to see if he's giving up the puck all of the time to avoid hits and give a subjective opinion. Yandle is an offensive defensemen who takes a lot of risks with the pucks. Yes it leads to turnovers, but it also leads to a lot of points.

News flash. There are still crazy Panther fans that watch every single game, even right here on these very boards. And they will all unanimously confirm that Yandle gives away the puck a lot to avoid contact.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
He's playing hockey at the highest level on earth.....even if he's not looking for contact doesn't the mere fact of being an active NHLer for that many consecutive games make for a great achievement? How reckless does he need to be the please a random panther fan?

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
He's playing hockey at the highest level on earth.....even if he's not looking for contact doesn't the mere fact of being an active NHLer for that many consecutive games make for a great achievement? How reckless does he need to be the please a random panther fan?

It's not a great achievement to constantly try to not get hit, to not hit, to never block, and never even tie up a man in front of the net. At least 5 times last night he stopped skating and let a Leaf get the puck so he wouldn't get hit. The sad thing is that was one of his best games in awhile. All Panthers fans think he's a joke and a coward. He's playing like he doesn't give a damn about the Panthers' playoff hopes, only his streak.

Reactions: senior edler
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad