The Farce that is Keith Yandle's "Iron Man Streak"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Disclaimer: Lots of esoteric stats to prove a point.

TL;DR - Keith Yandle is the softest "Iron Man" in NHL history.
Keith Yandle currently sits 4th in NHL history for all-time "Iron Man Streak" or consecutive games played without loss to injury or other factors. Normally this is supposed to be a point of pride, but Keith Yandle has made a farce of his NHL career simply to gain a personal achievement.

This season, Yandle has the lowest amount of "Hits Taken" in the NHL at 0.62 over 60 minutes for defensemen. The NEXT lowest defenseman this season is Josh Morrissey, doubling Yandle's "hits taken over 60 minutes" for 2nd last overall. For reference, the league average for players with a minumum of 20 games played is around 4.5 hits taken/60.

Over the last 3 seasons, Yandle still ranks last, again being doubled by the next lowest defenseman. Past 3 seasons, Yandle has averaged 0.8 hits taken (Suter is 2nd last at 1.58 hits taken).

If you go back a few seasons from 2013 - 2015, Yandle's numbers are a lot more respectable, with his "Hits Taken" stat sitting at an average of 2.25 hits taken over 60 minutes. Obviously he has significantly let up in his physical play to help keep his iron man streak going.

Now, you could argue that Suter's numbers are low as well so why doesn't he get the flack for being "soft"? Well over the last 3 years, Yandle not only gets hit the least, meaning he isn't really willing to go into corners to make a tough play when it's needed, he's also bottom 10 in the league in hits thrown. You could definitely argue that he is quick footed and just avoids any physical contact because that's his style of play (offensive defenseman are rarely physically imposing players that throw the body around, this is a fact), but what really kills me is the next stat.

In the last 3 seasons, Yandle is ranked 2nd last in giveaways/60 5 on 5 \(3.82 GA/60\), behind only Mike Matheson (who averages 3.84 Giveaways over 60 mins). What this is a clear sign of is that not only does Yandle NOT play the body, he is much more willing to make a rushed play or flat out give the puck up instead of taking a hit, all in the name of his pathetic iron man streak.

If anyone watched his game last night, it's become quite evident that Yandle fears any sort of contact for risk of ruining his streak. I counted about 3 or 4 times last night that he actively poked the puck away or just didn't go into the corner so as to not risk "getting hurt".

I think it's time to call attention to this. What's the point of the iron man streak if you don't actually play hard and put your best foot forward in all games? For comparison, the last iron man streak to be broken in the NHL was Kal Alzner's, and over the last 3 years of his streak he averaged a respectable 5.85 hits taken and 4.69 hits thrown over 60. I know Alzner is a slower defenseman but at least he still played physically.
For further comparison, the next longest Iron Man streak currently active in the NHL is Patrick Marleau's, only 12 games behind Yandle's at 840 consecutive games played. During Marleau's last 3 seasons, he's thrown an average of 3.86 hits over 60 minutes and been hit an average of 4.41 times over 60 minutes.....and he's a forward. Defensemen are known to take a hit to make a play!

Yandle has made a farce of this "Iron Man Streak". It's directly effected his play, his team's ability to perform and his influence on others. This post was just to call attention to someone who will soon approach setting an NHL record for his Iron Man Streak by playing scared, protected and safe to a fault. And he's getting paid $6.35 Million a year while doing it.....

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
Lmao I bet you equate penalty minutes with toughness and grit too.

The only thing that having lots of hits indicates is that your team very rarely has the puck when you're on the ice.

Go look at the NHL leaders in giveaways and then explain how all those dudes are soft and rack up giveaways because they don't want to get hit instead of them just making plays with the puck frequently.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
I don't think he avoids contact in order to prolong his iron man streak. I think he just avoids contact, and a result of that has been reduced injury risk and not missing games.

If he got hurt and actually had to miss some games, do you really think he'd come back as a more physical and reckless player since, with the iron man streak over, he in a sense had nothing more to lose? This is just his playing style, streak or no streak.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Kessel is right up there for active game streak, it's not like people don't know that it's easier to do if you're a softer player.

Reactions: Dominance

ProjectPanthers

Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee

The only thing that having lots of hits indicates is that your team very rarely has the puck when you're on the ice.

Go look at the NHL leaders in giveaways and then explain how all those dudes are soft and rack up giveaways because they don't want to get hit instead of them just making plays with the puck frequently.
LMFAO here's the bottom 11 in giveaways over 60 in the last 3 NHL seasons:

upload_2020-2-28_12-9-39.png

Notice all the higher numbers next to everyone's name? All of these statistics indicate Yandle is almost non-existent defensively. He is just not engaged in the play in his own zone.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
He's averaged well over one blocked shot per game throughout his streak, so it's not like he's doing everything he can to avoid getting hurt.

Throwing big hits has never been a part of his game, and while it certain contributes to his ability to play so many games in a row, it shouldn't detract from the streak's impressiveness. Would you rather him throwing his body around like Wendel Clark and playing 20 games per season?

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Shouldn't avoiding hits be a testament to his iron man streak and not a "farce"?

Not if actively avoiding hits has actively hurt his play. I wouldn't care if he takes zero hits if he was actually effective. He's the worst defenseman on our team by a mile, and his defensive play doesn't make up for the offense he provides.

Reactions: senior edler

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
LMFAO here's the bottom 11 in giveaways over 60 in the last 3 NHL seasons:

View attachment 328485

Notice all the higher numbers next to everyone's name? All of these statistics indicate Yandle is almost non-existent defensively. He is just not engaged in the play in his own zone.

This is a cool screen cap. Matheson, Yandle and Ekblad are all at the top of the list in terms of giveaways per 60. No wonder Bobrovsky is getting lit up on a nightly basis.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Offensive defender that has the puck on his stick a lot gives it away more than anyone else.

More to follow at 11.

Giving it away is not the problem if the net offense being provided outweighs the giveaways. That is not what's happening with Yandle. He is a net negative because he gives away the puck with dumb decisions and by actively avoiding contact.

ProjectPanthers

Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
He's averaged well over one blocked shot per game throughout his streak, so it's not like he's doing everything he can to avoid getting hurt.

Throwing big hits has never been a part of his game, and while it certain contributes to his ability to play so many games in a row, it shouldn't detract from the streak's impressiveness. Would you rather him throwing his body around like Wendel Clark and playing 20 games per season?
I would rather him contribute anything defensively on a team that struggles in their own zone.....

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I stopped reading because it's dumb. Yandle has played over 19,000 minutes (317 full NHL games) and 900 shots have hit his body since the last time he missed a game. I don't care if he never absorbed a hit, playing 800+ games without getting hurt is amazing. You do understand that taking a hit isn't even the most common cause for injury right? Way more guys miss games because of muscle or joint injuries that don't involve much contact at all. Hell, a lot of injuries don't even happen during games, they tweak something in practice. The guy hasn't even gotten sick enough to miss a game in a decade.

ProjectPanthers

Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
I stopped reading because it's dumb. Yandle has played over 19,000 minutes (317 full NHL games) and 900 shots have hit his body since the last time he missed a game. I don't care if he never absorbed a hit, playing 800+ games without getting hurt is amazing. You do understand that taking a hit isn't even the most common cause for injury right? Way more guys miss games because of muscle or joint injuries that don't involve much contact at all. Hell, a lot of injuries don't even happen during games, they tweak something in practice. The guy hasn't even gotten sick enough to miss a game in a decade.
LOL keep reading then.

Average defenseman in the NHL takes 4.5 hits over 60 minutes. Yandle is league low at 0.6, next lowest is 1.2.

Now what's more likely, Yandle is a slick, quick footed defensemen who can avoid even the fastest NHLers? Or that he doesn't risk anything and never, EVER is willing to make a sacrifice to make a play?

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006

He's not talking about just hits, he's also talking about hits taken. To take hits, you have to have the puck. If you watch his play, he has the puck, avoids a hit, gives it away. That's what is being shown in the stats. This isn't the same thing as Barzal giving it away a lot, this is a bad player giving it away with a net negative impact.

mw2noobbuster

Jun 28, 2016
Alberta, Canada
Giving it away is not the problem if the net offense being provided outweighs the giveaways. That is not what's happening with Yandle. He is a net negative because he gives away the puck with dumb decisions and by actively avoiding contact.
Dumb decisions with the puck doesn't relate to his ability to play an absurd amount of minutes and games injury free. He's an offensive defensemen, he's naturally going to take more risks with the puck.

Reactions: stopclickbait
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad