The exact moment a career came to an end

scott clam

Sep 12, 2018
Maybe not literally, but....
mark-messier-canucks.jpg

Reactions: Sentinel

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
Looking at this thread is actually depressing. You never know when it’s last game or in our cases the players we follow

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
Lafleur in the 1984 playoffs in the Good Friday Massacre game. Score tied at 2 in the 3rd period after that long delay. He gets wide open in the slot and Naslund feeds him a beautiful pass, just him and Bouchard. It ticks off his stick and rolls to the right where Chabot picks it up and scores. To me, Lafleur just looked like he lost all confidence from being benched by Lemaire.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I know he played for many years after that, but I don't think Janne Niinimaa was ever the same player after the conclusion of his rookie year, when Darren McCarty turned him inside out for the Cup-winning goal in 1997.

Not sure about this one. Niinimaa had several years of very solid hockey in Edmonton. If anything, getting traded from the Oilers to the Islanders is what started his decline. Niinimaa really liked Edmonton (maybe the weather reminds those Finnish guys of home?) and was reportedly devastated at being traded, to the point that the guy looked legitimately depressed out there any time I saw him play after the trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad