The exact moment a career came to an end

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
he played the next season and was suspended 30 games for stepping on jarkko ruutu's leg before being traded to the wild and ending his career there
RG0BS1U.gif

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
I know he's not like a super star but I will never forget Jordan Eberles first NHL goal. It was like "who is this kid?"

phillyb

Jan 21, 2014
Carbomb would go on to play 39 more games after this, but to me, this will always be the end of his career.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
- Gary Suter's cross-check on Kariya's face
- Owen Nolan sucker punch on G. Courtnall

Nolan was a real prick with his sucker punches. That kind of thing should result in draconian punishment from the league.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Out of respect for the player, the local media never did run this story.

However, Chris Phillips' final year with Ottawa was a disaster, so much so that he hung around just long enough to eclipse Daniel Alfredsson's franchise games played mark by one game, and then was LTIR'd.

The interesting part of that story is that the very next game following his all-time games played ceremony and subsequent scratching, the Senators began their 'Hamburglar' run of 21-1-2 and improbably made the playoffs on the last day of the regular season.

Addition by subtraction.

WestCoast CyberG

Nov 5, 2018
Doug Gilmour's second shift after rejoining the Leafs, tore his ACL and subsequently retired.
Oh man, I lived in Trawna at the time and the city was BUZZING for the return of Dougie...was such a let down for the fans to watch him crawl off on all fours.

It was anti-climatic from my perspective, Gilmour was bouncing around late career between NJ/Chi/Buf and the Habs and was in sharp decline after 2 x 100pt seasons mid career.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
- Gary Suter's cross-check on Kariya's face
- Owen Nolan sucker punch on G. Courtnall

Nolan was a real prick with his sucker punches. That kind of thing should result in draconian punishment from the league.

Didn't Berard end it with a hit?
...and then Berard himself, who didn't leave but was never the dynamic skater he was after Hossa.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Pat Peake going feet first into the boards at full speed.

Henry Boucha taking a stick to the eye from Dave Forbes

Dan Cloutier lets in Nick Lidstrom's shot from center ice.

Ted Green gets clubbed over the head by Wayne Maki

Mark Messier signing with the Canucks

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Out of respect for the player, the local media never did run this story.

However, Chris Phillips' final year with Ottawa was a disaster, so much so that he hung around just long enough to eclipse Daniel Alfredsson's franchise games played mark by one game, and then was LTIR'd.

The interesting part of that story is that the very next game following his all-time games played ceremony and subsequent scratching, the Senators began their 'Hamburglar' run of 21-1-2 and improbably made the playoffs on the last day of the regular season.

Addition by subtraction.

Was it really 21-1-2? That is unbelievable. I thought there were a couple more losses.

Damn near 24 straight wins.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Tommy Salo

Bears repeating.

Tommy Salo was a much respected goalie who had just put together three solid starter seasons in Edmonton.

Here is his international record before being scapegoated for the Olympic favorite Swedish loss after one fluky bad goal:

wiki said:
International
wiki said:
  • Won a Winter Olympic gold medal with Sweden in 1994.
  • Won a World Championships gold medal with Sweden at the 1998 Men's World Ice Hockey Championships.
  • Won a World Championships silver medal with Sweden at the 1997 Men's World Ice Hockey Championships.
  • Won a World Championships bronze medal with Sweden at the 1994 Men's World Ice Hockey Championships.
  • Won a World Championships bronze medal with Sweden at the 1999 Men's World Ice Hockey Championships.
  • Won a World Championships bronze medal with Sweden at the 2001 Men's World Ice Hockey Championships.
  • Won a World Cup of Hockey bronze medal with Sweden at the first World Cup of Hockey in 1996.
  • IIHF World's Best Goalkeeper 1997, 1998 , 1999
  • IIHF - The World Championships All Star Team 1997, 1998, 1999
Two years after that one fluky bad goal, Salo was out of the NHL, having just put up back-to-back sub-0.900 save % seasons, his confidence shot. His whole country had pointed a finger at him even though his bloody team couldn't score against Belarus? Ugh.

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
The exact moment Komisarek's career ended was when he finally fought Lucic.

Before that Komisarek was seen as a big tough defender and all at once Lucic shattered that image, and physically broke him. Komisarek injured his shoulder in this fight and was nothing more than a pylon after.

then 4 years later, Lucic would put an exclamation point on it

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I know he played a little after, by Horton was done after this hit. He never looked the same

I disagree with this.

Horton was having a good 2012 until sustaining another concussion. I think they win back to back cups if he was available in the playoffs. In the 2013 finals run he put up a stat line of 7-12-19 despite fighting a shoulder injury (thanks Iginla).

As soon as he signed in Columbus, his career was done, practically overnight.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
The exact moment Komisarek's career ended was when he finally fought Lucic.

Before that Komisarek was seen as a big tough defender and all at once Lucic shattered that image, and physically broke him. Komisarek injured his shoulder in this fight and was nothing more than a pylon after.

then 4 years later, Lucic would put an exclamation point on it

I thought Komi did ok in that second one.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Didn’t end his career per se, but Detroit’s Jason Williams was never the same after a Raffi Torres hit.

He wasn’t a star by any means, but he had a few productive years prior to the hit

I think you're confusing the Torres hit with Williams broken leg during his 2nd stint with Detroit.

The Torres hit happened back in 06-07 after Williams had put up one productive season. He didn't miss much time and while he wasn't as great in the rest of his first tour with Detroit, he was productive in the 2-1/4 seasons he spent with Chicago, Atlanta and Columbus.

The real career killer was the broken fibula when he was brought back to the Red Wings on a classic Holland re-tread for 2009. He started the year with 7pts in 10 games. Then after 5 with no pts, he broke his fibula and missed almost 3 months. When he returned he put up 8 pts in 44games and was a healthy scratch for some of the playoffs. Then he had no NHL work to start the next season, had a tryout with the Whale in the AHL and then was a deadline add for the Stars that a became a bit part down the stretch before they missed the playoffs by 2pts. After that he was AHL depth for the Pens and then the Oilers before finishing his career in Europe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->