The Ex-Jackets Thread (Any Bob/Bread/Duchene/etc. discussion here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Not sure what you guys are all on about. Nobody on the panthers board is blaming bob. He literally stopped two breakaways in a row and got scored on directly afterward because Ekblad didn’t cover anyone who was in front of the net after the save.

We all know that Bob, duchene, and Panarin are going to have success on their new teams. But if duclair and Dzingel do then that’s a true indictment against torts and his ability to get stuff out of players. If Dzingel has a good year for Carolina I’m going to be upset with torts because there was no reason he shouldn’t have fit in here.
Then he'll certainly earn his money with the Panthers. I just don't understand how I heard people magically call the Panthers a Cup contender while ignoring a bad D and the fact that Q basically got fired from Chicago because the team had a horrible D. Those 2 aren't miracle workers. Just goes to a show more proof that goalies are a product of the play in front of them.

Besides Bob is a shiny new toy for them. Once he's been there a while he won't be immune to criticism.

Reactions: thebus88

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Then he'll certainly earn his money with the Panthers. I just don't understand how I heard people magically call the Panthers a Cup contender while ignoring a bad D and the fact that Q basically got fired from Chicago because the team had a horrible D. Those 2 aren't miracle workers. Just goes to a show more proof that goalies are a product of the play in front of them.

Besides Bob is a shiny new toy for them. Once he's been there a while he won't be immune to criticism.

did anyone call them a cup contender? I know people said they were a playoff contender (me included) but they’re at best the fourth best team in their own division.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think the Panthers could f*** off for another month and still come back and end up with 105 pts. They're bad but they're also close to being great.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I think the Panthers could **** off for another month and still come back and end up with 105 pts. They're bad but they're also close to being great.
Their forward group is fantastic . Maybe they will want to beef up there defense , and we can get a forward from them

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
did anyone call them a cup contender? I know people said they were a playoff contender (me included) but they’re at best the fourth best team in their own division.
I’ve seen the term used, I don’t remember where, probably a show on nhl radio on Sirius.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
We all know that Bob, duchene, and Panarin are going to have success on their new teams. But if duclair and Dzingel do then that’s a true indictment against torts and his ability to get stuff out of players. If Dzingel has a good year for Carolina I’m going to be upset with torts because there was no reason he shouldn’t have fit in here.

I mean Dzingel was highly successful prior to coming to the cbj as well . It’s not like he forgot to play hockey when he came here . There is a mountain of evidence to suggest Torts is the issue .

chart.png

Correlation alone does not constitute evidence.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Bob had above average defense playing in front of him the past couple of years, now, not even close. Not saying he will be exposed as an average goaltender but I don't see a another Vezina anytime in his near future.

I'm sure most guys who win the Vezina don't have bad defenses in front of them, but tough to define how good they (the D) were. But we know how good Bob was. He won a lot of games for us.

Bob is usually a slow starter. I wouldn't be worried if I was Florida yet.

That being said many times last year I was ok overpaying for Bob for 3-4 years but not for the length of time he got. Florida is going to be stuck with him in some advanced years.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Dzingel flat out sucked here, period. I don't think he "forgot how to play hockey" but he sucked so bad on this team, I don't think Scotty Bowman could have gotten anything out him, let alone Torts. He was one of the worst players I've ever seen suit up for the CBJ within the past 10 years.

Reactions: Hipster Letestu

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Dzingel flat out sucked here, period. I don't think he "forgot how to play hockey" but he sucked so bad on this team, I don't think Scotty Bowman could have gotten anything out him, let alone Torts. He was one of the worst players I've ever seen suit up for the CBJ within the past 10 years.

I think you might be remembering the playoff part more. That's where he sucked, to my mind. When things got heavy he had nothing to offer. In the regular season I think Dzinger was just okay.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I think you might be remembering the playoff part more. That's where he sucked, to my mind. When things got heavy he had nothing to offer. In the regular season I think Dzinger was just okay.

He put up 12 points in 21 regular season games (same as Duchene, actually) - good enough for a 47 point pace.

I think the insertion of Texier threw him off in the playoffs and he kind of got lost on that left side. I don't remember specifics, but he was bad in the playoffs and also not put in a great position to succeed (coaching). Wennberg took his spot and struggled just as much.

Dzingel's gonna go off for 25-25-50 this season and Duclair will become an NHL regular. But how many will see it as a Torts coaching issue?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He put up 12 points in 21 regular season games (same as Duchene, actually) - good enough for a 47 point pace.

I think the insertion of Texier threw him off in the playoffs and he kind of got lost on that left side. I don't remember specifics, but he was bad in the playoffs and also not put in a great position to succeed (coaching). Wennberg took his spot and struggled just as much.

Dzingel's gonna go off for 25-25-50 this season and Duclair will become an NHL regular. But how many will see it as a Torts coaching issue?

I would like to have kept Duclair, but either way I'm not too concerned by what Dzingel or Duclair do. Unless they're 60 pt guys they're just more of that mercurial scorer type that needs special conditions to succeed, and I don't think the Jackets have a strong need for that.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Looks like Bob was maybe a product of our defense first mentality here . 15 minutes left in the 2nd period against the devils :D, he’s given up 4 goals on 10 shots .

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
Looks like Bob was maybe a product of our defense first mentality here . 15 minutes left in the 2nd period against the devils :D, he’s given up 4 goals on 10 shots .
Yikes. So much offensive talent in Florida, but the defense is crap. Oh well, Bob's laughing all the way to the income-tax free bank down there.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Yikes. So much offensive talent in Florida, but the defense is crap. Oh well, Bob's laughing all the way to the income-tax free bank down there.

and also still won the game.

We all know he’s a slow starter. It’s only going to get better for him and them. I wonder when that happens if people here will still be posting about it.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
and also still won the game.

We all know he’s a slow starter. It’s only going to get better for him and them. I wonder when that happens if people here will still be posting about it.
When he was young , maybe he could respond from these slow starts. His past 5 years he’s clearly trending to look as if his skill set is diminishing . Gaa of 2.69, 2.75 , 2.06 , 2.42, and then last year 2.58 . This deal is going to look really bad for the panthers .

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
When he was young , maybe he could respond from these slow starts. His past 5 years he’s clearly trending to look as if his skill set is diminishing . Gaa of 2.69, 2.75 , 2.06 , 2.42, and then last year 2.58 . This deal is going to look really bad for the panthers .

yeah no shit he signed for 7 years as a 30 year old. Look at what happened to Luongo, Quick, and Lundqvist.

Bob is still going to be one of (if not the) best goalies in the game for 3-4 years. Health permitting of course.

Reactions: Dumais

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
yeah no **** he signed for 7 years as a 30 year old. Look at what happened to Luongo, Quick, and Lundqvist.

Bob is still going to be one of (if not the) best goalies in the game for 3-4 years. Health permitting of course.
I disagree, statistically speaking, he hasnt been one of the better goalies in the league since 2016-2017. Sure he has streaks where he gets hot. But for a goalie in his first year of his contract that will turn 31, That will be a brutal contract, not even considering his playoff warts.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
I disagree, statistically speaking, he hasnt been one of the better goalies in the league since 2016-2017. Sure he has streaks where he gets hot. But for a goalie in his first year of his contract that will turn 31, That will be a brutal contract, not even considering his playoff warts.
I happen to think he’s one of the best in the game. Evidently the CBJ, NYI, and FLA agreed since they all tried to sign him. He chose Florida. He’ll fall off eventually, maybe even sooner than my projection (I know you’re rooting for it!) but It’s not our concern anymore, but I’m sure we’ll be reading about it a lot this year if it doesn’t go well for him/them.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

That's not a clear trend. Also nobody takes GAA seriously, nor should they.

yeah no **** he signed for 7 years as a 30 year old. Look at what happened to Luongo, Quick, and Lundqvist.

Yeah he'll be one of the best for the next few years, and I wouldn't be so sure he wouldn't be good for the last few years too. Quick was never on his tier, so I'd leave him out. He's only put up .920+ twice in his career, he's just been terribly overrated. Luongo aged pretty darn well, I must say. He only had one season under .920 from age 34 to age 38, with a .929 at age 38. The Panthers have had a good experience with old goalies, taking Luongo's contract paid off for them.

Lundqvist tailed off at age 34. I'd argue that for elite goalies he and Ryan Miller are two of the earliest guys to fall off the pace. There's a cluster of guys dominating into their mid 30s. Elite G's stay elite longer than elite skaters, for whatever reason people think it's the other way around.

The top group of 8 on this list is a good comparison group for Bob. It's a lot of guys who were having some of their best seasons in their mid 30s. What I really want is a list of all the top guys (for their time period) through age 31, minimum 400 starts, where we also have data at least through age 36.

I think that would be something like:

Lundqvist
Miller
Roy
Brodeur
Belfour
Hasek
Luongo
Rinne

Would you want those guys in their mid 30s? Other than Lundqvist and Miller, yeah you obviously would, they were winning Vezinas.

Then there's guys who were dominant in their mid 30s who don't make this list because they weren't good enough in their 20s, Sean Burke, Thomas Vokoun, Tim Thomas, etc..

I disagree, statistically speaking, he hasnt been one of the better goalies in the league since 2016-2017.

Actually he has been, and I'd argue his numbers are more outstanding given that he was playing behind safe is death.

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
We will see where Bobs #s end up, starting to look like even with the Safe is Death mentality, that our defensive core is a luxary to play behind.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
We will see where Bobs #s end up, starting to look like even with the Safe is Death mentality, that our defensive core is a luxary to play behind.

I'd bet from a goalie's perspective, it doesn't matter as much if it's Seth Jones or Scott Harrington defending a 2 on 1. It's still a 2 on 1.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad