The Europa Universalis IV Thread

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Ya lol sorry about that. I've tried to take screenshots before, but my F keys are binded in kind of a strange way. I'll take a look at it again. It certainly beats crappy phone photos though lol. :laugh:

My nine provinces were:
Constantinople, Alexandria, Carnik, Bessarabia, Venezia, Treviso, Ragusa, Rosetta, and Hüdavendigâr

Ya, basically I vassalized Serbia and fed it most of my provinces original (sans Treviso and Venezia itself). I also released Milan as a vassal and fed it Brescia and Verona. I did have Byzantium as a vassal too, but eventually I released them in order to attack them and get them to transfer their trade power. I had about five countries transferring trade power to me (learned just how awesome trade wars are).

This was not an easy game at all and it might be one of the hardest achievements I have attempted so far (sans Great Khan maybe). You should try it...really an unique experience. The first and probably only game I've ever played where Diplo points where WAY more valuable than Admin points. Really had to take advantage of every single trade benefit I could possibly get my hands on. Just a totally different focus to this game than most games of EU4. Knowing your skill at the game, I think you could definitely do it and you'd have a ton of fun with it.

Near the end, I had to kill Spain to eliminate their trade power in Alexandria. My 250 ship heavy frigate fleet :)laugh:) utterly destroyed their 83 ship fleet (including 33 triple deckers) in literally five seconds. I think by the end I was something like 250 over my fleet limit lol.
Well I started a Venice game yesterday and played for a bit. So far it's more of annoyance than fun game though (I loathe spread-out empires). :laugh:

Day 1 allied Austria & Poland; and declared reconquest on Albania. Fabricated on Byzantines and Ragusa. Annexed Albania, declared on Byzzies, took Constantinople & Athens, vassalized the rest. Gave them Athens back, made them a march & forced them to convert -> insta-rebellious vassal for a long time. Bleh. Declared on and annexed Ragusa turbo-fast. Then Crimea attacks Genoa, Austria gets called in & drags me into war with Ottomans. Oh jolly. Had to white peace out all out of manpower. Austria lost to Styrian rebels and is now much reduced. Allied France to alleviate that. Annexed Corfu & Naxos, peacevassaled the Knights. Byzzies finally turned loyal.

I guess the plan is to release Aquilea and feed them my Italian lands, release Croatia and give them the Croatian lands & finally feed Byzantium Greek lands. They can even all be marches. Still... a disjointed empire feels vile.:laugh:

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Well I started a Venice game yesterday and played for a bit. So far it's more of annoyance than fun game though (I loathe spread-out empires). :laugh:

Day 1 allied Austria & Poland; and declared reconquest on Albania. Fabricated on Byzantines and Ragusa. Annexed Albania, declared on Byzzies, took Constantinople & Athens, vassalized the rest. Gave them Athens back, made them a march & forced them to convert -> insta-rebellious vassal for a long time. Bleh. Declared on and annexed Ragusa turbo-fast. Then Crimea attacks Genoa, Austria gets called in & drags me into war with Ottomans. Oh jolly. Had to white peace out all out of manpower. Austria lost to Styrian rebels and is now much reduced. Allied France to alleviate that. Annexed Corfu & Naxos, peacevassaled the Knights. Byzzies finally turned loyal.

I guess the plan is to release Aquilea and feed them my Italian lands, release Croatia and give them the Croatian lands & finally feed Byzantium Greek lands. They can even all be marches. Still... a disjointed empire feels vile.:laugh:

The disjointed aspect certainly makes you focus on making sure your navy is top notch. Like I said earlier, the game is an unique experience. I suppose that is a good thing AND a bad thing. :laugh:

Having the Austrians dead is a blessing in disguise. One less thing to worry about lol.

You took Constantinople really fast. That's super impressive. In my game, I also attacked Ragusa and Albania pretty much on Day 1, attacked and vassalized Serbia/Bosnia, and then I went to war with the Turks. They had already taken Constantinople by that point. We won the war (with help from France and Poland), then I created Byzantium and fed it all of the mainland Greek provinces.

Keep in mind, you don't have to dismantle your empire till the very end. I'm sure you know that, but it's worth the reminder.

Looks like you are well on your way. Keep it up and keep us posted on your progress. :) What ideas are you planning on taking?

By the way, I updated my previous post and included HD screen shots. Figured out how to do it...my shortcut key was some strange key combination.

Last edited:

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
The Venice game is going horribly. I done goofed and released all non-trade center provinces way too early (I only had Venice, Ferrara, Ragusa and Constantinople left). I conquered Hudavendigar and Canik, but my three idiot vassals allied together and their independence war is bugging out...

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
I have never played a Venice game that has gone well once I attempt expansion.

It isn't an easy game. You are a strong and wealthy power as Venice, but you are surrounded by powers that MILITARILY far outrank you both in terms of numbers and usually ideas.

I was only able to get the achievement on the third attempt. The first two ended in miserable failure (I think in one I somehow managed to be at war with the Turks AND the Austrians at the same time :laugh:). I have to say I found France to be a very reliable ally.

And sorry Arcand! Give it another whirl. Like I said, it took me a few trys too. There is a reason this is considered a hard achievement on the EU4 wiki,

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It isn't an easy game. You are a strong and wealthy power as Venice, but you are surrounded by powers that MILITARILY far outrank you both in terms of numbers and usually ideas.

I was only able to get the achievement on the third attempt. The first two ended in miserable failure (I think in one I somehow managed to be at war with the Turks AND the Austrians at the same time :laugh:). I have to say I found France to be a very reliable ally.

And sorry Arcand! Give it another whirl. Like I said, it took me a few trys too. There is a reason this is considered a hard achievement on the EU4 wiki,

I only tried three games, but each time failed to win over France. Probably should've tried out Austria, but I'm sure at that time frame they were allied with Milan anyhow.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
I only tried three games, but each time failed to win over France. Probably should've tried out Austria, but I'm sure at that time frame they were allied with Milan anyhow.

Perhaps I got lucky. For sure I was able to get Poland (and by extension Lithuania as well) as an ally pretty much from Day 1.

A diplomatic reputation adviser might tip the balance. :)

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
I have never played a Venice game that has gone well once I attempt expansion.
Oh the expansion itself was going splendidly, the game just bugged out:

- I only had trade provinces (Venice, Ferrara, Ragusa, Constantinople, Hudavendigar & Canik)
- I had three marches - Byzantium (all Greek culture lands sans Cyprus and Chios), Croatia (all Croatian culture lands + Montenegro + Albania) & Aquilea (my starting mainland possessions in Italy)
- since they had all high liberty desire, they allied each other and with Florentine support Byzantium declared independence when half my army got wiped by Ottoman rebels
- they got of course utterly demolished by my allies France, Austria & Poland
- I even found time to declare & win a quick war for Chios on Genoa in the midst of it

Alas, the game is bugged. If I peace Byzantium out, they remain my vassals - but Croatia & Aquilea remain independent. If I peace them out separately, they don't become my vassals again. And there is no option to vassal them in the peace deal available, and I can't take all their lands in the peace deal either. It's pure ********.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
:laugh: In my first game Poland immediately went to war with seemingly everyone and got crushed. After that I was really, really wary of pairing with them.

I usually don't ally with England but ended up doing it anyway in one game. All it got me was war with France with zero support. I'm not sure they ever landed troops on the continent.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Oh the expansion itself was going splendidly, the game just bugged out:

- I only had trade provinces (Venice, Ferrara, Ragusa, Constantinople, Hudavendigar & Canik)
- I had three marches - Byzantium (all Greek culture lands sans Cyprus and Chios), Croatia (all Croatian culture lands + Montenegro + Albania) & Aquilea (my starting mainland possessions in Italy)
- since they had all high liberty desire, they allied each other and with Florentine support Byzantium declared independence when half my army got wiped by Ottoman rebels
- they got of course utterly demolished by my allies France, Austria & Poland
- I even found time to declare & win a quick war for Chios on Genoa in the midst of it

Alas, the game is bugged. If I peace Byzantium out, they remain my vassals - but Croatia & Aquilea remain independent. If I peace them out separately, they don't become my vassals again. And there is no option to vassal them in the peace deal available, and I can't take all their lands in the peace deal either. It's pure ********.

It's kind of annoying that your doge, styled centuries earlier as Dux Dalmatia by a Roman emperor, was fundamentally unable to fulfill that title due to a glitch.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
:laugh: In my first game Poland immediately went to war with seemingly everyone and got crushed. After that I was really, really wary of pairing with them.

I usually don't ally with England but ended up doing it anyway in one game. All it got me was war with France with zero support. I'm not sure they ever landed troops on the continent.

England is such a strange Duck in that game. It's about 50-50 whether they bother to actually provide tangible support in a war effort. :laugh: Generally I find them to be pretty terrible allies and I try to avoid allying with them if I can.

I find Poland-Lithuania to be a pretty good ally...if for no other reason that their combined army (especially at the beginning) is just so enormous.

Sucks to hear about that bug :/

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
England is such a strange Duck in that game. It's about 50-50 whether they bother to actually provide tangible support in a war effort. :laugh: Generally I find them to be pretty terrible allies and I try to avoid allying with them if I can.

I find Poland-Lithuania to be a pretty good ally...if for no other reason that their combined army (especially at the beginning) is just so enormous.

Sucks to hear about that bug :/

Yeah, that's been my experience with England going back to EU2. I ally with them, they get into a war with some massive neighbor of mine, then I take the brunt of the war while England does nothing. It happened enough for me to avoid them as I can.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
I decided what the hell and continued the Venice game in spite of that vile bug. Situation as of 1595:

venice1595.jpg

Ideas-wise, I have gone Plutocratic - Influence - Expansion - Trade so far. I will be taking Quantity and Maritime for sure next.

Last edited:

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
I decided what the hell and continued the Venice game in spite of that vile bug. Situation as of 1595:

venice1595.jpg

Ideas-wise, I have gone Plutocratic - Influence - Expansion - Trade so far. I will be taking Quantity and Maritime for sure next.

Impressive stuff. Keep it up! Glad you didn't give up on the game. True spirit of Iron man right there! I like mega Montenegro...gotta love it.

Something I forget about doing sometimes is to look at the policies. For this achievement in particular, getting some of those policies that help trade will be huge for you. Every little bit counts. Also, converting to reformed will help give you further assistance on the trade front.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Just started a new game. Going to (try) form Prussia as Brandenburg and get the achievement for having at least 125 percent discipline. Than I am going to try and form Germany. Wish me luck!

Current thinking for my first three Idea Groups: Offensive, Economic, and Quality. Offensive and Quality both give your armies more discipline. I am choosing Economic due to the policy that one can enact once the Economic and Quality Idea groups are completed (five percent boost in discipline). Of course I already have to go Protestant to form Prussia and the Discipline Church Aspect available to you as a Protestant country gives you another 2.5 percent increase. Brandenburg starts out with insane military ideas which innately give a boost to Prussian military prowess (including discipline).

Forming an Absolute Monarchy will give me another boost. I could take Religious if I really need the extra points...the Religious and Offensive policy gives a further 2.5 percentage increase in discipline. Have to take advantage of all of these little boosts here and there. :)

Might take Influence at some point to reduce the A.E. penalties I'll inevitably be suffering (also allows me to better handle vassals).

Last edited:

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Don't know if the guys read the developer diaries, but the new patch/DLC that is being worked on sounds pretty epic.

I'll link y'all to the latest one, which discusses an entirely new mechanic that allows one to manage the various factions within one's borders.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...-diary-october-1st-2015.884554/#post-20023246

I personally think this is a very exciting development and one that will allow for yet more dynamism in this game (as if it needed it :laugh:). The "Revanchism" feature that gives a boost to a country if it loses territory (due to the nationalist feelings that loss of territory engendered) adds an interesting flavor to the game.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Urghble, I can't seem to get the final few % in the Venice game...

venice_blergh.jpg

You are so close! You got this.

Couple things you can do.

Have you converted to Reformed yet?

Make sure to grab some of the trade policies to give you that extra boost.

Are your trade ships protecting trade in Alexandria and Constantinople? I'm sure they are, but you might need even more of them to get that extra percentage. Heavy frigates are pretty awesome in this regard. It might kill your capacity to make money, but I'm fairly sure an extra 100 trade ships would get you the achievement.

If someone is taking a big percentage in those two nodes, go to war with them and kill their fleet. Should give you a nice boost.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad