The Europa Universalis IV Thread

May 27, 2012
Earth
Well, we "won" the league war. The Protestant League had 550K Infantry, 120k Cavalry, and 150 ships

We(Catholic League) had 400k Infantry, 90k Cavalry, and 250 ships. I just peaced out when I could and made the side pay money. We had a 50% War Score, but It was starting to get sketchy when Sweden, Russia and the Ottomans starting creeping into central Europe. I came coe to losing a huge battle. Just barely won and peaced out asap.

The Commonwealth and Hungary were buffers for the Ottomans and Russia. Sweden was occupied with Riga and Livonian Order. England got obliterated by Scotland and Desmond, both my allies. I gave them both land after peacing out with England.

Castille, Aragon and I just dealt with everyone else. I won't be Emperor for much longer though.

So now the HRE is neither Catholic or Protestant.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Well, we "won" the league war. The Protestant League had 550K Infantry, 120k Cavalry, and 150 ships

We(Catholic League) had 400k Infantry, 90k Cavalry, and 250 ships. I just peaced out when I could and made the side pay money. We had a 50% War Score, but It was starting to get sketchy when Sweden, Russia and the Ottomans starting creeping into central Europe. I came coe to losing a huge battle. Just barely won and peaced out asap.

The Commonwealth and Hungary were buffers for the Ottomans and Russia. Sweden was occupied with Riga and Livonian Order. England got obliterated by Scotland and Desmond, both my allies. I gave them both land after peacing out with England.

Castille, Aragon and I just dealt with everyone else. I won't be Emperor for much longer though.

So now the HRE is neither Catholic or Protestant.

I thought you had to get the forced peace out event to get freedom of religion in the HRE?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Forced peace, or no one takes a wargoal requiring 50 war score that sets an official religion for the HRE. It's so the most historical result occurs more frequently.

Yeah that. My league stomped all over in the league war in my current league so I didn't get historical peace, but I know it was possible.

Protestants won pretty handily thanks to the combined might of me, Russia, and Spain. England never got proper forced over, Poland/Li never formed the Commonwealth and were basically completely run over by Spain and Russia, while I and the smaller HRE states kept Austria busy.

I've seen Poland go bankrupt twice, lose its vassals, and have the PU with Lithuania fall apart as a result. Consolidating Prussia was cake thanks to that.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Something I've always been curious about when it comes to the league war - If the Protestant side wins, what determines who the first Emperor will be? I've had times where I lead the Protestants to victory, while obviously being the most powerful nation in the HRE, only to see some crappy little country become Emperor. They always lose it as soon as their ruler dies too, since they're too weak to actually do anything, at which point I usually win a unanimous vote. Just seems odd that I wouldn't be the first Emperor after the war when I did all the work and all the electors love me.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Something I've always been curious about when it comes to the league war - If the Protestant side wins, what determines who the first Emperor will be? I've had times where I lead the Protestants to victory, while obviously being the most powerful nation in the HRE, only to see some crappy little country become Emperor. They always lose it as soon as their ruler dies too, since they're too weak to actually do anything, at which point I usually win a unanimous vote. Just seems odd that I wouldn't be the first Emperor after the war when I did all the work and all the electors love me.

Yeah I am not sure how it works either. Sweden became Emperor in my game.

A lot of electors got tossed at the end of the League war and one person voted Sweden and there you go. Once the new Emperor restored a bunch of electors things went back to normal.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
My Prussian game goes on. Now beginning to pick apart the HRE and collect the provinces I need to form Germany.

Russia has become insanely and scary powerful. Add on a PU with Hungary and they are basically invincible. They can just send stack after stack at 40k+. They absolutely destroyed France and allies in a Hungarian succession war (with my help). Luckily I have a long standing alliance with them.

As long as I keep Russia on my good side and keep my AE below coalition levels, there is nothing to stop me from forming Germany.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They can join at 50 AE but generally will only do so if there's enough states willing to take you on.

I believe it takes power into effect. The remaining HRE minors had 50+ AE against me but never formed a coalition I assume because that even together they would get rolled.

So I try to just make sure France, Russia, Sweden, and Austria has low AE before I keep rolling.

It is 1700 so I'm trying to speed up as I want to get my Germany to the Meditarrian and a border with France. .

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Trying to figure out how to finish my game.

First going to clean up the rest of the German provinces and bring them into fold. I could clean up the rest of Lithuania and connect my borders in Russia?

What next? My current allies are Spain, Russia (who has a PU with. Hungary) Austria, and Sweden.

Do I try and gobble up Austria? Break apart France? Break up the Ottomans and leave them to the mercy of the Persians?

Or do I get really risky and try and poke the Russian bear?

I could also make it a point to kick Spain out of Italy.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
They can join at 50 AE but generally will only do so if there's enough states willing to take you on.

Does the Diplomatic relation or AE of other states also count? I am playing a Byzantine game where I greatly expanded into Ottoman territory which pushed my AE to over 100 with the Ottomans, Mamaluks and 1 other state. However those 3 states were rivals with each other and had just gotten over their own war taking chunks out of the Ottoman emipire, so no Coalition was formed. My AE in Europe was also 0 or near zero. I was then given the mission of taking Southern Italy (owned by Spain) and I did that in 1 war defeating the Alliance of Spain and Austria. But as soon as I did that I had basically all of Eastern Europe forming a coalition and declaring war on me.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Does the Diplomatic relation or AE of other states also count? I am playing a Byzantine game where I greatly expanded into Ottoman territory which pushed my AE to over 100 with the Ottomans, Mamaluks and 1 other state. However those 3 states were rivals with each other and had just gotten over their own war taking chunks out of the Ottoman emipire, so no Coalition was formed. My AE in Europe was also 0 or near zero. I was then given the mission of taking Southern Italy (owned by Spain) and I did that in 1 war defeating the Alliance of Spain and Austria. But as soon as I did that I had basically all of Eastern Europe forming a coalition and declaring war on me.

It's because you're conquering heretics. They don't care about that. However they do care about attacking Italy because Orthodox/Catholic are related in comparison to Islam.

For example, Portugal always or usually takes North Africa. Spain and Aragon don't care that much but it's the North African nations that won't like you. However if you decided you wanted chunks of Spain/Casitlle, then the howls will get AE from closer European nations

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Idk. This Russia/Hungarian PU that formed in my game looks invincible.

In a game I had a while back, Russia got a PU over Hungary as well, but the combination of Commonwealth and Denmark took them down, so it can happen. I think the main thing is the war needs to be fought on more than one front. Much easier to win battles if half their army is fighting somewhere far away. Russia by itself had the largest army in the world, and Hungary had expanded a fair bit before the PU so they were pretty damn good as well, but they seemed to be running in circles with Denmark's army coming through Sweden while Commonwealth was running over Hungary.

Still, it might not be best to poke the bear. You could always just let them help you conquer everything else.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
In a game I had a while back, Russia got a PU over Hungary as well, but the combination of Commonwealth and Denmark took them down, so it can happen. I think the main thing is the war needs to be fought on more than one front. Much easier to win battles if half their army is fighting somewhere far away. Russia by itself had the largest army in the world, and Hungary had expanded a fair bit before the PU so they were pretty damn good as well, but they seemed to be running in circles with Denmark's army coming through Sweden while Commonwealth was running over Hungary.

Still, it might not be best to poke the bear. You could always just let them help you conquer everything else.

Commonwealth never formed. Poland is long gone and Lithuania is only good for keeping our borders seperate for now.

Sweden owes me favors, but I'm not sure they will join and even if we got Spain on our side I'm not sure we could win a war with them handily. Maybe if I timed it while they were warring with the Ottomans.

It is a tempting attempt at a prize but equally tempting is breaking France apart.

So many options and so little time.

I do love how uniquely different games develop. Best thing about the game. So many interesting stories and dynamics form over the course of the centuries.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The other thing that is really confusing to me is the economics of the game. If i do not use the console commands I go broke really quickly.

It seems daunting but it start to makes sense as you play. Trade is the moat complicated. Rule of thumb is you automatically collect money from you capital trade node so use your merchants to direct as much trade as you can there while you build power around it (through development and navy). Only the second biggest ships create trade power. Navies are expensive though.

How difficult the economy is greatly depends on your start.

Don't be afraid to cut the military funding and mothball forts during peacetime. Strong allies will do a better job holding off aggressive neighbors at the start. Just don't forget to turn the funding back up when you are ready for war (there is ab option to do that automatically).

Taking territory is the best way to boost the development, but if you have spare monarch points, investing them into province development isn't bad.

When you get the money. Churches in high base tax provinces and Workshops on high production provinces will really start to boost things. Anything 8 and up should get one of those buildings.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Still finishing up my German game. French keep sowing discontent.

I wanted to finish xonsquering the rest of German lands, but now I want to break up France out of spite.

Also wondering what to do with my next up. I didn't do a colonial game before so maybe Portugal.

Also haven't played outside Europe. Any suggestions?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad