The Europa Universalis IV Thread

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Still finishing up my German game. French keep sowing discontent.

I wanted to finish xonsquering the rest of German lands, but now I want to break up France out of spite.

Also wondering what to do with my next up. I didn't do a colonial game before so maybe Portugal.

Also haven't played outside Europe. Any suggestions?

I would suggest Ternate, a tiny one province nation in SE Asia. It is ridiculously fun. Their national ideas give you a colonist early on, so with exploration as your first idea group you can have three colonists really early.

Also, you can expand like crazy early on because very few other countries even know that you exist, so you don't have to worry about coalitions.

Once you get going it's very easy to dominate the highly lucrative Moluccas and Malacca trade nodes, and which point you'll have more money than you know what to do with.

It's also easy to island hop to the new world, which helps institution spread a lot.

I just kinda chose them at random a little while ago and they are easily one of my favourite countries now.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
EU keeps bugging out on me when i try to close the game. It keeps telling my that i am still playing the game on steam, but when i go to the task manager to force the program closed it tells me access denied. I am the admin on the computer.

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
I would suggest Ternate, a tiny one province nation in SE Asia. It is ridiculously fun. Their national ideas give you a colonist early on, so with exploration as your first idea group you can have three colonists really early.

Also, you can expand like crazy early on because very few other countries even know that you exist, so you don't have to worry about coalitions.

Once you get going it's very easy to dominate the highly lucrative Moluccas and Malacca trade nodes, and which point you'll have more money than you know what to do with.

It's also easy to island hop to the new world, which helps institution spread a lot.

I just kinda chose them at random a little while ago and they are easily one of my favourite countries now.

This sounds awesome...I now want to try this so bad.

I'm drawn to one province minor nations (like Riga). It's just so fun to start from such small beginnings.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
So I just started a game as Florence with the intentions of turning the three province republic in to Italy and controlling the entire Eastern Mediterranean. Tough to break out of the little buffer zone I'm in at the start. Lucca allied with some powers that I'm not ready to take on yet (Austria, Papal State) and Ferrera allied with Venice. Siena, on the other hand, somehow only allied with Provence. Target locked. I allied myself with, well, some people ima need to take out to get this done. Savoy, Millan, Austria, and Hungary are all my allies at this point.

First war was a bit of a ***** honestly. I stack wiped Siena but with Provence being so spread out and having a PU over Lorane I was a bit outmatched to start. I managed to hold on and after taking the two holdings he has on the Mediterranean they sent a couple armies my way. I managed to take those out and siege down their capital before peacing out, taking one of the two provinces they have on the Mediterranean, and forcing them to nullify their alliance with France. Next war I took out Provence itself and now am starting to eyeball Ferrera since I should have enough favors saved up to get Hungary to tie up Venice for a bit for me. Unfortunately Milan took out Mantua already (********) so I'll have to turn my guns on them sooner then I figured I might. That or I might go after Savoy instead, I'm sure I'll be able to get the Swiss on my side and get their provinces back to them in that war, though they're allied with France which is... problematic.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
As Florence, I'd recommend doing what historic Florence did and ally France.

Florence game I did after vacation in Florence :laugh:
medicinmen.jpg

Mucho marches and obligatory Commonwealth PU.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Yeahhhhh about that. After forcing Provence to cancel their alliance with France and then taking those two provinces they're not so happy with me. :laugh:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Poked the bear as Germany. Jesus. Won the war, but really didn't make any legit gains.

All my manpower got eaten up by those unlimited Russian doomstacks.

Guess I'll help Spain break France up instead.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Poked the bear as Germany. Jesus. Won the war, but really didn't make any legit gains.

All my manpower got eaten up by those unlimited Russian doomstacks.

Guess I'll help Spain break France up instead.

Hey, that's still better than most historical nations fared against Russia.

Always seems like Russia just gets to a point of no return. If they haven't been stopped by then, they aren't going to be stopped.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire

Always seems like Russia just gets to a point of no return. If they haven't been stopped by then, they aren't going to be stopped.
Unless, of course, the player makes it their point to do so. I always try to kill them off (unless they're the rare Novgorod-formed breed or the even rarer minor-formed ones) if playing long enough.

In my recent Burgundy game, they were quite strong (you can barely see them in the screenshot, but they're owning PLC and ate parts of Sweden):
burgundy.jpg

I kinda took offense to that:
burgundy3.jpg

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

It is scary as only Russia and Hungary was able to stop a full alliance of Germany, Spain, Sweden while they were also finishing a war with the Ottomans and Persia.

If a Space marine lead alliance cant basically push past a stalemate, what can?

Thing is they were a valuable ally in my rise to Prussia and eventually Germany.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I started a new game as Brandenburg and formed Prussia on my first attempt. I tried other times in the past, but this was a perfect storm. I rivaled the Tuetonic Order and took the mission for Neumark. I started a spy network on TO and then the event came up where the TO would sell me Neumark. I took it and took the mission Pomeranian Succession. Took Stolp and the other province. I took them and claimed Danzig and Konigsberg. Took them as well. Just had to wait until admin 10 and the reformation.

The one thing that sucked was that Lithuania was the Emperor and the leader of the Catholic League. Not even 3 years into the league forming they declared war on Bohemia and I didn't join the Protestants right away, the Ottomans didn't join and France joined the Catholics. Poland join the Protestants. So the Protestants got screwed over because the two biggest powers for the Protestants didn't join.

Europe is kind of goofy. Stryia is the Emperor. Normandie exists and Alencon too.

My allies were Sweden, Poland, and Lithuania. The only left is Sweden. I lost Poland because I claimed their throne and they didn't like that lol. I later allied with GB since I needed another ally.

edit: I formed Germany.

Last edited:

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
I started a new game as the Mikmaq native tribe. Since I am still learning the game I used the consul commands to give myself money, tech upgrades to match the European powers at the time and some colonists to learn that aspect of the game. Quickly began expanding my territory to include all of Atlantic Canada, Quebec around the great lakes and into the Ohio valley before the Europeans arrives in the late 1500's. The British set up the 13 Colonies in Jamestown but I managed to expand south and east enough to block them into a small area. This now gave me the ability to upgrade to a monarchy and get some ships and I began to explore around Cuba and reach Europe. My army and Navy aided in the liberation war of the West Indies (now the nation of Haiti) and this gave me the confidence to begin preparations to annex the 13 Colonies. In that following war which also resulted in the Mikmaq invasion of Great Britain resulted in not only the conquest of the 13 colonies, but also the Mikmaq conquest of Ireland (Now named Mikmaq Britain).

The question is where do I go from here, Do I focus on the conquest of North America and remove Spanish Florida and Scotland off the map (Scotland proper was conquered by Great Britain so now Scotland is in Northern Mexico) or do I look to expand my power in Europe and begin the era of reverse colonization.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
As Florence, I'd recommend doing what historic Florence did and ally France.

Florence game I did after vacation in Florence :laugh:
medicinmen.jpg

Mucho marches and obligatory Commonwealth PU.

So I was never able to get anywhere near this big unfortunately. Castile got the Iberian Wedding while Naples was still under control of Aragon so there went any chance of expanding south since France still ****ing hated me, as did GB for god knows what reason.

Poland was teamed up with me, as was Hungary. But for some reason Hungary kept allying with a bunch of smaller Balkan states and eventually got smashed by the Ottomans. Commonwealth, Austria, and I were able to get a bunch of that territory back from them, as well as get back Serbia, Bosnia, and Greece, but that was by the time time ran out on the game. Somehow they ended up allying with Bohemia early in the game (wut?) and it was an absolute ***** trying to handle that as Bohemia went full on PacMan on the Germany region outside of Austria early on.

Doesn't help that I somehow never managed to get a PU over any of the nations that I did have good relations with at any point (Spain, Austria, Commonwealth, Hungary)

I may try a Burgundy or Brandenburg game next.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Brandenburg was a fun game. Not the easiest start, but once you start to get the ideas going and form Prussia, things start to roll a bit.

Now I'm Germany and basically just trying to figure out how I want to end the last 100 years of the game now that I have basically reached Germany's pre-WW1 borders.

The discipline boosts they get is just absurd.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Lots of interesting features coming in the new expansion. Ages with objectives. The Absolutism mechanic. Seems like a 4th unit type (though it has only been shown for Manchu). Also some kind of HRE mechanic for China?

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
I'm not a fan of the objectives given how they're chosen. A lot of it unachievable by most of the world (like the "objective" to spawn the vile heresies) and the country specific bonuses are absurd (+5 diprep as Austria is beyond insane).

Played Odoyev for Kinslayer lately. Was actually lot of fun:
odo2.jpg

Eradicated Muscovite "culture" as well.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
A small i head into 1800 I've noticed a few things.

Siegeing has become an utter chore. **** level 8 forts. Doesn't appear to be a good counter for them.

Also I'm shocked by how few revolutions have fired. Monarchy's still rule the realm and no colonial country has declared independence.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire

Siegeing has become an utter chore. **** level 8 forts. Doesn't appear to be a good counter for them.

Also I'm shocked by how few revolutions have fired. Monarchy's still rule the realm and no colonial country has declared independence.
Level 8 forts you say?
siege.jpg

:laugh:

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol

Max cannons (25), a high siege general, siege ability from offensive, and the Modern Siege Weapons policy from innovative and offensive makes them go down in under 100 days almost every time.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Just reached the end of my first time game as the Micmaq empire. (sorry if the maps are too large).

North and South America Empire
Mikmaq%20empire%201.png

European Expansion into Micmaq Britian and Normandy
Mikmaq%20Empire%202.png

Started out give the Micmaq starting European level technology (minus the navy as they can't build that until they enter a monarchy or something like that). Quickly began sending out colonist around Atlantic Canada and Quebec. Was beginign to expand out west and conquering the Huron when European ships began to appear on my coast. So I began to expand down south to try and prevent them from landing on the east Coast. But the Brits set up the 13 Colonies. After encircling them and preparing for an invasion I get in contact by The British West Indies asking me to support their Independence which I do as it would be a test of mettle vs the British. BWI wins it Independence and become Haiti and has been a thorn in my side ever since.

Scottish Mexico quickly becomes Scotland as England become Great Britian, Spain settles Florida and the French and Portuguese set up on the west coast. Now the race for the empty spaces of NA is on. The 13 Colonies, Ireland and Florida are conquered by me, Scotland sets up in Mexico and Texas, The Rocky Mountains south become the board between myself and France (at this time my Ally), and the French pen Portugese Alaska and Oregon behind them. I spend the next little while colonizing the rest of the territory that i encircled in my rush to prevent the French and vassaling most of the remaining tribes.

The French would bring me into several wars in this interlude as we beat the British for colonial territories (I received 1 territory on the British Island). But the war that ended our alliance was The war of Portuguese succession, which pitted France and I against Portugal, Spain, Haiti and England. I held my own keeping the Haiti fleet and army subdued and forcing England to sign a separate peace treaty, But the Spanish and Portuguese kicked Frances ass and forced the end of our alliance. This had to happen sooner or later as they controlled the second largest territory in NA and I rather that it wasn't me that broke the alliance. But before I started a war with France I started a holy war against Britain to claim more territory, shrinking them down to essentially Wales.

1 more war against France to conquer its North American territory, part of French Columbia and Normandy. I then spent the rest of the game quelling French Mexican and Catholic rebels while converting their religions and cultures where I could. I think I am going tot keep playing this game until I take over the whole world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad