The Erik "Gudzilla" Gudbranson Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
I dunno i'm gonna be cautiously optimistic that JR has a clue, and that Gonchar can rehab Gud's game. I mean that worked out well when I thought that about the JJ signing right? ;)

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
McQuaid would have been a better get simply because he's a UFA and they would have needed to clear Pearson's (or someone's) salary anyway. Now we just have to pray that someone will take Johnson or Gudbranson from us.
You just know JR is gonna have to package our first with one of these trash bags.

lmfl123

Jan 25, 2015
Watched a few of the condensed games that they have on Youtube for the Canucks last night. In his defense, that entire team appeared to be awful in their own end. I would say Hutton and Tanev definitely stood out in a worse way although they showed up more on the offensive side, too. Limited viewing and all, but we didn't give up anything of value and didn't really do tremendous damage to our cap position since we weren't willing to ship off Hagelin for futures. When he went to Vancouver it sounds like they had some pretty high hopes for him. Given these expectations and the team's performance the negativity is almost certainly overboard.

Realistically, I think our bigger problem is hanging on to players like Hagelin (UFA in particular). But that's a necessity when you can't fill from within and unfortunately it is also difficult to make trades when you are light on tradeable assets.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Because he just traded him for somebody who most likely could have been acquired for something like a 4th round pick?

Jim Benning is also widely considered one of the worst GMs in hockey and is the GM of a bottom feeder. Jim Benning was also the guy who gave Gudbranson the contract that made him overpaid.

Do we really want to start talking about Jim Benning's credentials here? He's a straight up dunce. Assuming that he saw Gudbranson as a problem is at least generous towards him, and at most absolutely baseless.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Some of you guys are hoping he gets back to being as good as he was in Florida.

That was 4yrs ago.

JJ is also crap and got crappier.

All hope is lost.

Reactions: Doogle

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Maybe we should give him a chance to suck in a Pens uniform before we say he sucks?
I tried that with JJ. I wanted to believe, now I am jaded.

People said that about Johnson, then he put on the Pens sweater and still sucked...
This

I'd be way less worried about this trade, incidentally, if I felt that the bench was getting through to the team, but I don't think they are and I have much larger doubts about the effectiveness of the coaching staff than I necessarily about whatever our roster composition is.
Not sure I would excuse JR in the mess of things to come

I'm going to cry when I see Johnson-Gudbranson on the ice. Or laugh hysterically. Or both.
It should be entertaining one way....or another

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Ill give the guy a chance, but on paper this looks at best like a boneheaded knee jerk move. At worse tge front office has embraced this idea that size and physical play trump speed and skill in this NHL... and that means Sid and Geno will win no more cups....

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Some of you guys are hoping he gets back to being as good as he was in Florida.

That was 4yrs ago.

JJ is also crap and got crappier.

All hope is lost.

I'm pretty sure the most optimistic people who know anything about Gudbranson have the high hopes of "dumped in the off-season for nothing" :laugh:

Ill give the guy a chance, but on paper this looks at best like a boneheaded knee jerk move. At worse tge front office has embraced this idea that size and physical play trump speed and skill in this NHL... and that means Sid and Geno will win no more cups....

It is 100% a knee jerk reaction to Letang getting injured in a fight. I just wish it was one that I knew was more short term.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Do we really want to start talking about Jim Benning's credentials here? He's a straight up dunce. Assuming that he saw Gudbranson as a problem is at least generous towards him, and at most absolutely baseless.

And what's the alternative - that he really think Pearson's offense is going to make up for the loss of one of their top 6 defensemen? Clearly he is comfortable replacing Gudbranson with whoever their #7 was because let's face it Tanner Pearson isn't going to make enough difference in offense to make up for the loss of a decent defenceman. They still have a shot at the playoffs, after all.

In his defense, that entire team appeared to be awful in their own end.

So is ours and still some defencemen are clearly worse than others.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm pretty sure the most optimistic people who know anything about Gudbranson have the high hopes of "dumped in the off-season for nothing" :laugh:

It is 100% a knee jerk reaction to Letang getting injured in a fight. I just wish it was one that I knew was more short term.
We hope he can be dumped. The guy is literally the worst defenseman by all metrics. That's like trying to unload a used toilet from a gas station.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
And what's the alternative - that he really think Pearson's offense is going to make up for the loss of one of their top 6 defensemen? Clearly he is comfortable replacing Gudbranson with whoever their #7 was because let's face it Tanner Pearson isn't going to make enough difference in offense to make up for the loss of a decent defenceman. They still have a shot at the playoffs, after all.

Yes, because that's a completely believable scenario. It's entirely believable that Benning thought this deal was a struggling #5 defenseman for a struggling 3rd line winger, and that he needed a 3rd line winger more than a #5 defenseman. Not only does this match how Gudbranson has been used and who else the Canucks have on their roster, it also matches Benning being an idiot.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
In my totally unscientific but extensive experience, when pundits and GMs refer to players as "great locker room guys" when you ask them about said players' glaring deficiencies... ah... they ****ing suck.

Yeah, a good rule of thumb is that if you're bringing up anything outside of their play when talking about a player, that player most likely sucks.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Kinda my theory on Oleksiak being traded.

He got KTFO and JR was like, trade that wussie boy...

Oh I think that was a lot of it. Oleksiak also just wasn't very good. But looking over what this team has done since then... yeah.

One way or the other this team is often being GMed with a fan mentality. A particularly stupid fan mentality.

"HUR... my rival beat up the guy I bought to beat HIM up! YER FIRED! DERP"

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah, a good rule of thumb is that if you're bringing up anything outside of their play when talking about a player, that player most likely sucks.

Yep...so what if he can skate the puck out, make a good first pass, has decent hockey IQ and can shoot the puck on the net...he doesn't hit goddamn it!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
To be fair, if Oleksiak's purpose was being an enforcer and he got KTFO by Wilson, I don't exactly blame JR for trading him after. He didn't do his 1 job, I don't blame JR for dumping him after :laugh:

So obviously, everyone should hope Gudbranson gets knocked out by Wilson, because that would definitely make JR want to move him then.

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
To be fair, if Oleksiak's purpose was being an enforcer and he got KTFO by Wilson, I don't exactly blame JR for trading him after. He didn't do his 1 job, I don't blame JR for dumping him after :laugh:

So obviously, everyone should hope Gudbranson gets knocked out by Wilson, because that would definitely make JR want to move him then.

If that's REALLY what this management team thought Oleksiak was/is... then goddamned we truly are f***ed.

I just always assumed it was GM lip service when it came to the "stands up for our guys" bullcrap. I figured that was just a nice little thing to fatten up the guy's resume and you actually bring him on for his ability to (sometimes) move the puck up the ice, use his big frame to lean on people in the corners and occasionally use his big clapper. But clearly I was giving these morons too much credit.

Oleksiak wasn't and never will be a fighter. Or at least not one of any merit or intimidation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad