HAPPY BIRTHDAY! The Erik Gudbranson era is over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
That would be such a Benning thing to do. Turn down a 2nd and 4th round pick for Gudbranson only to extend him to an awful contract, and then a year later trade him for a 3rd/4th line tweener.

Agreed, but at least Miles Wood is an NHL player. We should take that deal and run.

Reactions: timw33

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
That would be such a Benning thing to do. Turn down a 2nd and 4th round pick for Gudbranson only to extend him to an awful contract, and then a year later trade him for a 3rd/4th line tweener.

I am so mad that we could have essentially just traded McCann for Gudbranson by recouping a 2nd and 4th, admitting we made a mistake, and move on. And still McCann for Gudbranson would have been a horrible trade.

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I am so mad that we could have essentially just traded McCann for Gudbranson by recouping a 2nd and 4th, admitting we made a mistake, and move on. And still McCann for Gudbranson would have been a horrible trade.

At this point I don't care what the return would be for Gudbrandson. Removing him from the roster would improve the team, could use his salary in the offseason for someone that can actually play defense.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just can't see a deal for Gudbranson unless the Canucks are willing to take some serious contract money back. The TDL might be the only chance they have, as teams are desperate for blueline depth heading into the playoffs. But re-upping him for $4m a season was utter lunacy.

But the clock is ticking for Benning. Gudbranson has become such a lightning rod in VanCity, I just can't see any way they can bring him back next season. Past time to move on.

Reactions: Robongo01

elwin316

Jun 4, 2009
He’s been on the ice for 58/142 ES goals against this year, or 41%.

But he’s also missed 5 games, so that puts the number in the games he’s played right back up to about 45%.

Man that's brutal, wow.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
So is he going to be traded or not? So done with watching him on this team.

May 31, 2006
4Qhn45T.png

Jesus Christ how bad is Brandon Manning?

moog35

Jul 25, 2007
The argument you are making is such a mess I don't know where to begin.

I'll just pretend you actually mean what you are saying here and address the points.

Why would you make this argument?

Do you actually think anyone thinks that the Sedins or Tanev should show bravery by fighting for their team mates?

Tanev has taken more punishment than any other D man on the canucks roster and it is catching up to him. He full well knew this taking hit after hit to play the puck out of the zone for the Canucks.

The Sedins took just as much punishment drawing penalties and punsihing the opposing team on the PP instead of retaliating.

Gudbranson retaliates for him self in situations where he actually managed to draw a penalty.

Edler arguably is a bit squeamish when it comes to the physical side of the play but he too does absorb a fair amount of punishment and blocks a ton of shots.

What exactly does he do well? I can think of 1 thing: He is a way above average fighter.

Everything else he is bad at: Skating, Shooting, Passing, Blocking shots, Reading the play, Board battles, Net front battles, Being a team mate... etc. He is strong but that doesn't manifest in to anything positive on the ice.

What is it that people are being unfair about?

How the **** does anyone assessing Gudbranson as a hockey player make them cowards?
Even if the said posters are cowards, what does this have to do with the argument at all?

You need to check on your logic.

I know you are angry because for some reason you feel Gudbranson is unfairly treated by the Canucks fanbase here While Im 100% sure you are of firmly on the side that doesn't believe in any kind of hockey analytics; but there is a MOUNTAIN of evidence that shows how detrimental he is to the team every time he steps on the ice. The fact that he is delusional about his fact and apparently blind to unfortunate reality that the one useful thing he can do is to sit int he penalty box for 5 mins for fighting means he is either:

1. A coward because he doesn't want to endure the pain that he might feel during a fight
2. An idiot who doesn't know what is the one thing he can do to be of use to the team

I don't think he is an idiot. From all I've heard from JD Burke & Botchford he is actually a smart well spoken guy 1 on 1. So that leaves us with option no 1.

Horrible post

Your saying Gudbrandson is a coward because he doesn't want to endure the pain he might feel from a fight? :laugh:

You realize that he fights a few times a season, and usually wins despite having had major wrist surgery.

You spent your entire post defending Edler, Tanev and the Sedins saying that they are now cowards even though they have a combined 0 career fighting majors yet you call Gudbrandson a coward because "he doesn't want to endure the pain that he might feel during a fight" despite the fact that he has 31 career fights and 3 already this season.

Just to reiterate I don't think any of those players are cowards. I have a much different definition of a coward than you and some posters here do.

You just can't call Gudbrandson a coward based on him not fighting enough, yet defend the Sedins, Edler and Tanev for not being cowards because they take hits, block shots and absorb punishment, despite the fact that none of them have ever had a fight. Gudbrandson also blocks shots, takes hits and absorbs punishment :laugh:

Your post literally proved my point on how ridiculous the argument for Gudbrandson is. Thanks for having such a flawed post and proving my point :laugh:

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
Remember when Gudbranson went to the media and blamed Hutton for that pairing’s ****ty play and completely threw Hutton under the bus while talking himself up?
Class act, all the way. Future Captain material.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Horrible post

Your saying Gudbrandson is a coward because he doesn't want to endure the pain he might feel from a fight? :laugh:

You realize that he fights a few times a season, and usually wins despite having had major wrist surgery.

You spent your entire post defending Edler, Tanev and the Sedins saying that they are now cowards even though they have a combined 0 career fighting majors yet you call Gudbrandson a coward because "he doesn't want to endure the pain that he might feel during a fight" despite the fact that he has 31 career fights and 3 already this season.

Just to reiterate I don't think any of those players are cowards. I have a much different definition of a coward than you and some posters here do.

You just can't call Gudbrandson a coward based on him not fighting enough, yet defend the Sedins, Edler and Tanev for not being cowards because they take hits, block shots and absorb punishment, despite the fact that none of them have ever had a fight. Gudbrandson also blocks shots, takes hits and absorbs punishment :laugh:

Your post literally proved my point on how ridiculous the argument for Gudbrandson is. Thanks for having such a flawed post and proving my point :laugh:

You have serious reading comprehension issues.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
Remember when Gudbranson went to the media and blamed Hutton for that pairing’s ****ty play and completely threw Hutton under the bus while talking himself up?
Actually I don't remember that one, when did it happen and what was said?
I seem to remember Sutter publicly said something pretty bad about, was it Goldobin?
Some leaders Benning acquired eh?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Just can't see a deal for Gudbranson unless the Canucks are willing to take some serious contract money back. The TDL might be the only chance they have, as teams are desperate for blueline depth heading into the playoffs. But re-upping him for $4m a season was utter lunacy.

But the clock is ticking for Benning. Gudbranson has become such a lightning rod in VanCity, I just can't see any way they can bring him back next season. Past time to move on.

I dont think casual fans understand what Gudbranson is. They just think he is a "physical force" and a "defensive d man."

So most people just look at where he was drafted and assume he is good at somrthing.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
As the pace of the NHL game ramps up with speed, finesse and skill, Gudbranson is mired in quicksand, and every year it gets worse. Not really very mobile; doesn't really process the speed of the game and can't execute a breakout when he does possess the puck.

The scary thing is that when Jimbo acquired him, he opined that he 'had a great first pass'. But every pass I see is either to a forward who's being checked, or off the glass and out.

If he was earning the league minimum like Schenn, I supposed you could live with it. But other than Edler, he's the highest paid d-man on the team, which makes him virtually untradeable.

What makes it tough is that from all reports he's a 'stand-up guy" who's well regarded by teammates and casual fans. But like Del Zotto who was also a solid-citizen, he just can't play.

Makes you seriously wonder if Jimbo and Canucks are capable of identifying a decent d-man via trade or free agency.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Actually I don't remember that one, when did it happen and what was said?
I seem to remember Sutter publicly said something pretty bad about, was it Goldobin?
Some leaders Benning acquired eh?

Ben Kuzma: Hutton, Gudbranson disconnection needs immediate attention

Was first season they played together, they were struggling and got questioned about it by the media and Gudbranson said the following -

“If I’m chasing out of position to make a play, there has been a breakdown somewhere at some point,” said Gudbranson. “My intention is to get in front of shots and take away passing lanes. We started off well as a pair, but we’ve been kind of separate and a little disconnected and just playing too far apart.

“We’re going to watch video and see what’s going on and this is a process with a young guy. He (Hutton) has less than 100 games and it takes 300 to learn to defend well."

“He might be going through something and he’s feeling it inside, but you’re excited to work with him and I’ve got to find that connection better than I have. It takes time for a skilled guy and sometimes less is more, but he’s also good when he’s playing on that edge.

“He’s going to be a great player in this league and we’re going to get through this.”

Gudbranson just happened to have over 300 games played lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad