HAPPY BIRTHDAY! The Erik Gudbranson era is over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Poo at least manages to have 1 shockingly amazing rush every 15 games and otherwise completely sucks. Gudbranson just completely sucks.

Reactions: xtra

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Ok fine you win, I change my vote to Gudbranson for worst NHL player. But I still loathe Pouliot.

Pouliot isn’t a good player and when he makes mistakes they’re howlers but he at least has some ability to move the puck and push the play to the opposite end of the rink.

Gudbranson is just a trainwreck every night at both ends of the rink. He’s the worst player in the league.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
Pouliot isn’t a good player and when he makes mistakes they’re howlers but he at least has some ability to move the puck and push the play to the opposite end of the rink.

Gudbranson is just a trainwreck every night at both ends of the rink. He’s the worst player in the league.

To be honest, Pouliot wasn't that bad when he was paired with Stecher. Made the plays that he needed to. It was only when he was paired with Gudbranson that he tried to do too much, leading to all of the turnovers.

It's not a surprise that Biega pretty much went from the pressbox straight to playing ahead of Gudbranson on the 2nd pairing. Hopefully, even with Biega's awful turnover that led to the game-winner for the Sharks, Biega still plays ahead of Gudbranson.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
The funniest thing about that quote is that Ben Hutton's rookie year he played better hockey than Guddy has ever in his career

The majority of the faltering between him and Stecher has been imposed by the coaching staff removing any offense from their play and use

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The reason any Gudbranson pairing gets buried possession wise is pretty easy to see. It goes beyond Gudbranson likes to simply throw the puck to the opposition 30-40% of the time no matter what so they pressure him.. It's that the opposition knows that even when he's not under pressure he will throw the puck away so they don't need to worry about him and as a result they then concentrate on applying pressure his partner. That forces turnovers from that side or forces the play back to Gudbranson who then gives the puck up because he sucks. It's explicitly what the Sharks (I think) did to the Preds a couple years ago. They noticed that Weber was really struggling with the puck...in many cases that would result in keying in on Weber. The Sharks instead keyed on Josi and took Josi out of the play. The players talked about it after the series as being a turning point.

Duodenum

Jul 7, 2008
East Vancouver
View media item 4095
I would like to congratulate Guddy in leading the league in the minus column aka the Green Jacket Award. Congrats Erik and hope you can keep it up!
I checked naturalstattrick for defenseman statistics since the 2010-11 season.
No other defenseman has even come close to the 4+ goals against average (per 60 minutes) Gudbranson is averaging after 50+ games.

This could be a historically bad season.

Last edited:

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
I checked naturalstattrick for defenseman statistics since the 2010-11 season.
No other defenseman has even come close to the 4+ goals against average Gudbranson is averaging after 50+ games.

This could be a historically bad season.
He's minus 200 right now?

Duodenum

Jul 7, 2008
East Vancouver
He's minus 200 right now?
He's minus 25.

Edited above post to include (per 60 minutes).

This is a season not seen since before 2010-11, yikes.

I'm just going to stop looking as it only gets worse for Gudbranson. Honestly, not even worth it anymore. We all know he's been terrible.

4.03 GAA/60, that's historically bad. Not even the worst defensemen in the league over the past 8 years could come close to that mark. The Canucks aren't even in the bottom 10 worst GAA in the league I don't think so it's not a team thing.

Last edited:

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
He's minus 25.

I'm just going to stop looking as it only gets worse for Gudbranson. Honestly, not even worth it anymore. We all know he's been terrible.

4.03 GAA/60, that's historically bad. Not even the worst defensemen in the league over the past 8 years could come close to that mark. The Canucks aren't even in the bottom 10 worst GAA in the league I don't think so it's not a team thing.

Everyone knew what you were talking about that there was little need to edit. It's just the usual suspects being intentionally obtuse.

Reactions: Peter10

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
He's minus 25.

It's disappointing, He still has one more year to turn it around because they won't get much return with the contract he has. It's a little bit of blessing in disguise those stats look like that. Now he won't be traded to cup contender at the deadline. He could also be very useful in the playoffs in a rough series. Look how useful he was against Anaheim.He threw some big hits and fought Getzlaf. Sure, his minutes are cut down right now, but you'll be happy we have him when it gets rough. Against Anaheim again next week. Green knows when to use him and he gets a bad rep on the PK. He's actually better there.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
It’s a blessing in disguise we are keeping a player that is actively affecting your team negatively on the scoresheet to historical levels?

I’m stunned at the stupidity of that comment

I’m happy to have him cause he’s bad at hockey and making it easier on team tank but wanting him when it get rough instead of a 5min a night goon is hilarious

timbermen

Nov 14, 2017
It’s a blessing in disguise we are keeping a player that is actively affecting your team negatively on the scoresheet to historical levels?

I’m happy to have him cause he’s bad at hockey and making it easier on team tank but wanting him when it get rough instead of a 5min a night goon is hilarious
Do those stats include his PK work?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I felt compelled to look up Erik's game log.

Since his last goal (Nov 10th vs. Buffalo), he has played 37 games.

During this 37 game sample, he has 1 assist and is -25. This is a shocking stretch of hockey and it's no wonder Travis has dropped his minutes considerably. But that kind of contributes to how shocking this level of play is. He's essentially playing soft 3rd pairing minutes and is still getting absolutely eviscerated.

When you read this thread and still see folks all in on Gudbranson it's a pretty good idea who's opinion is worth a grain of salt or not.

Reactions: timw33

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
I felt compelled to look up Erik's game log.

Since his last goal (Nov 10th vs. Buffalo), he has played 37 games.

During this 37 game sample, he has 1 assist and is -25. This is a shocking stretch of hockey and it's no wonder Travis has dropped his minutes considerably. But that kind of contributes to how shocking this level of play is. He's essentially playing soft 3rd pairing minutes and is still getting absolutely eviscerated.

When you read this thread and still see folks all in on Gudbranson it's a pretty good idea who's opinion is worth a grain of salt or not.

But Petey was only injured twice in that time, and would have been injured five times if not for the steely gaze of gudbranson and his stern words to the press. My cat told me so.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
It's disappointing, He still has one more year to turn it around because they won't get much return with the contract he has. It's a little bit of blessing in disguise those stats look like that. Now he won't be traded to cup contender at the deadline. He could also be very useful in the playoffs in a rough series. Look how useful he was against Anaheim.He threw some big hits and fought Getzlaf. Sure, his minutes are cut down right now, but you'll be happy we have him when it gets rough. Against Anaheim again next week. Green knows when to use him and he gets a bad rep on the PK. He's actually better there.

Didn't we lose that game 1-0?
I don't care about physical play. If we lose games, and he does nothing to contribute to the scoresheet and is responsible for goals against, then we need to cut bait on him.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The Anaheim game? The one where he was on for the only goal against in the entire game and played a season low ~13 mintues, that anaheim game?

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Truculent, mentor, 'good in the room', 'stands up for team-mates', 'good on the PK'...

Qualities that attempt to justify employing one of the worst players in the league.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver

I think it's an attempt to drive up the asking price amongst all the GMs who follow HF Boards.

Reactions: xtra
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad