The English Lower League thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I got a feeling Leeds are going to keep being able to scrape up late points. They have a strong and deep squad for the championship, it just feels right for them this year.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
This is such a shame...Bolton may not have been a fancied club but they had some really good players put the shirt on and had a long run in the Premier league.

Bolton has a modest place in English football history, but a place nevertheless. They are one of the original teams from the 1888 Football League, and own the unenviable record of playing most seasons in the English top flight without ever being crowned champions. They have won four FA Cups, though, two of which are especially notable - the 1923 'white horse' cup final (nothing to do with narcotics in case anyone was getting their hopes up), and their 1958 win over a Manchester United team patched up following Munich. Their centre forward from that era, Nat Lofthouse, is considered among England's greatest in that position, and his goal in the final - when he shoulder charged Harry Gregg into the net while he held the ball, was famously contentious.

Bury are two-times FA Cup winners, back in the Edwardian era. Remarkable as it may sound now, in the twenties, they once finished as high as fourth in the top division.

But even if neither club had ever achieved a thing, it's the ruin to long-lasting, community groups that's the truly desperate matter here.

Reactions: gary69

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
But even if neither club had ever achieved a thing, it's the ruin to long-lasting, community groups that's the truly desperate matter here.

Sad stuff for sure. Hopefully they can turn this unfortunate time into a good come back story in the coming years.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
To be honest Bury doesn't have much left beyond that history anyway, one of the worst attended clubs wherever they played as long as I can remember, but Bolton would be a real shame.

Reactions: N o o d l e s

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Throw back to the days when winning on a rainy day in Stoke was a way to measure a player....Nowadays they cannot seem to win anywhere.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Parkinson and his assistant have resigned at Bolton so now they have more problems

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Just started watching Sunderland Till I Die (finally). What a depressing city/club, hopefully they get bc up the Championship this year

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Leeds have been on the upswing for a few years now and I don't know how much longer a club that will likely sustain itself once it reaches the Premier League can spend in the Championship. They're out of the woods of their financial implosion, are probably gonna have 35,000 people a game at Elland Road the whole season and Bielsa is an underrated manager. They're looking a Premier League club at this point.

Other than Swansea, Fulham and maybe West Brom I just don't know who is left to truly oppose them and even that's because those are regular members of the Premier League. It's early but they were top of the league almost all of last year and are doing it again

God help Man United if Leeds DO come back. It's gonna be like a scene from a horror movie of a psychotic ex lover showing up like "it me agaaaiiiinnnn..... Oh you THOUGHT you were rid of me bitch?" I know Man United don't give them a second thought but I know Leeds still do

Last edited:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
God help Man United if Leeds DO come back. It's gonna be like a scene from a horror movie of a psychotic ex lover showing up like "it me agaaaiiiinnnn..... Oh you THOUGHT you were rid of me *****?" I know Man United don't give them a second thought but I know Leeds still do

Should be a lot of fun having them back up just for this.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Should be a lot of fun having them back up just for this.

If Leeds can make it back that first matchup is going to be must watch football. Not many rivalries were as intense as that one and I'm not sure if all those years apart are going to quell it. It's possible but feels unlikely since the EPL championship is likely going to be an unattainable goal for Leeds. Their matchups with Man United are probably going to be akin to the Iron Bowl between Alabama and Auburn where if you don't win it all that year at least you beat your sworn rival

But otherwise I agree. I may have to start pulling for Leeds so I can see this happen

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
If Leeds can make it back that first matchup is going to be must watch football. Not many rivalries were as intense as that one and I'm not sure if all those years apart are going to quell it. It's possible but feels unlikely since the EPL championship is likely going to be an unattainable goal for Leeds. Their matchups with Man United are probably going to be akin to the Iron Bowl between Alabama and Auburn where if you don't win it all that year at least you beat your sworn rival

Oh Leeds fans remember, they will be so loud for that game. My guess is it will remind Man U of the old days and the rivalry will spark as if nothing has changed

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Oh Leeds fans remember, they will be so loud for that game. My guess is it will remind Man U of the old days and the rivalry will spark as if nothing has changed

It's a crappy thing to do to a newly promoted team for a first game but IF Leeds are promoted this year they can always have their first game back in the EPL against Man United at Elland Road. As if it was not dramatic enough right? If that game actually happened and Leeds won it would be their biggest win in a dozen years and the response by the fans would be mass hysteria

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Just started watching Sunderland Till I Die (finally). What a depressing city/club, hopefully they get bc up the Championship this year

It's being reported that they're about to receive an injection of funds from an American investment fund. So they may finally achieve the domination of the third tier their loudest-mouthed fans were so confident they'd enjoy last year.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
My God Stoke has fallen apart as a club. Sunderland fans need not feel like they've fallen from grace alone. Huddersfield too. It's possible both are going to be relegated with the way they're playing

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Huddersfield punched way above their weight, not really a Premier League club and I suspected they were going to struggle regardless this season

Still early days (especially with Bielsa's teams) but Leeds look to be cruising with Charlton being the early surprise package

Bolton playing today but getting hammered at home by Ipswich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad