The English Lower League thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
this Reading vs Leeds game has reminded me just why I hate Leeds so much.

They should have been down to 8 men in the first half, and Reading should have had 2 penalties so far in the second, dirty dirty team.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
The top two in the Championship play tonight, namely Southampton and Reading. Since they're both six points clear of West Ham, hopefully they'll do the civilised thing and play out a nice draw. At the bottom of the league, Doncaster and Portsmouth are all but relegated and Coventry are four points from safety after bungling a 1-0 lead in their relegation showdown with Bristol City.

In League One, the two Sheffield clubs continue to dispute the second automatic spot behind Charlton.

Fleetwood should achieve promotion to the Football League tomorrow, whilst two from Barnet, Hereford and Macclesfield are set to drop out of the league.

Meanwhile, Swindon might clinch the League Two title in front of a crowd of exactly zero fans, because their game against Gillingham next Saturday will have to be played behind closed doors following a row involving Kent Police.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Evans' absence had huge ramifications on Saturday, since Sheffield United lost 1-0 at MK Should Never Have Been Allowed to Exist. United's lead over Wednesday is now one point with two games remaining. Meanwhile, thumbs down to Notts County for clownishly being thrashed at home by Bury to allow (hawk, spit) the Hertfordshire swine into a playoff spot.

It's Boro v Cardiff for the final Championship playoff spot and Portsmouth went down this weekend. As too did Coventry, so often the top flight's Houdini club in the eighties and nineties. The Sky Blues' owners failed to file their most recent accounts on time, the implication being that they wanted to wait and see whether the club stayed in the Championship before they made any financial commitments to City's future.

Swindon clinched promotion from League Two and Crewe hold the final playoff spot. Meanwhile, there's a sharp contrast between the fortunes of Fleetwood and Macc. The former join the Football League next season, but the latter are 92nd of 92. Hereford gained a point on Barnet but remain second from bottom.

If West Ham do not win at Leicester tonight, Southampton return to the Premier League. More importantly, Sam Allardyce looks a bit more stupid.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Ched Evans should not be in jail if Cody McDonald isn't. How can one person be convicted of **** but not another? I hope he appeals.

themightyquinn

Jun 10, 2007
Toronto
Championship - would be good to see the Saints come up. They had a long drop and a long time in the wilderness. Would be nice to see them in the top flight. As a Spurs supporter would like to see Birmingham come up in the playoffs just for Chris Hughton...a genuinely good guy who does well wherever he goes. Failing the Blues, would like Blackpool again just for more Holloway interviews.

League 1 - prefer Wednesday to come up vs. United. Only because I didn't like Sheff Utd. suing West Ham for staying up. Wendesday deserves a chance. Would also like to see Orient stay up. Thought they were safe but 0W, 4L, 1D in the past 5 put them in jeopardy.

League 2- Glad to see Bradford not get relegated. 11 years ago this weekend they were in the Premiership playing Everton. Now they sit almost 80 places below them in the League Table! :amazed:

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I'd love to see Southampton end up in the play-offs purely because I know someone who is so adamant this season they'll get promoted.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Forest are safe :D

Took us long enough!

Financial Fair Play has been passed by the vast majority of the 72 football league clubs. FFP (or TBOTE, the beginning of the end) is going to be a disaster. I like the idea, but the notion of only spending to your income is brutal when you consider that relegated Premier League clubs are handed £16m a year, just for the act of getting relegated.

Forest are the third highest grossing club in the league for ticket sales and our annual turnover was £15.6m. Therefore, relegated clubs will be given literally double the disposable income that the rest of the league are allowed. This is exactly what the Premier League want, the same 25/26 teams rotating by the years as the rest of us struggle to keep up, hamstrung by the new financial restraints.

How long before w**kers like Phil Gartside suddenly re-suggest the break-away league? Would suddenly look less ridiculous if there's the same 25-odd teams in it every year...

kg458

Capstronaut
Jan 31, 2008
Boston
Took us long enough!

Financial Fair Play has been passed by the vast majority of the 72 football league clubs. FFP (or TBOTE, the beginning of the end) is going to be a disaster. I like the idea, but the notion of only spending to your income is brutal when you consider that relegated Premier League clubs are handed £16m a year, just for the act of getting relegated.

When Championship clubs get promoted, will that bonus count towards the year they're promoted or the next year?

If I understand correctly, clubs demoted to the Championship aren't subject to the Championship FFP rules. Also, clubs getting promoted to the PL are still subject to fines based upon the Championship FFP rules for their deficit for the previous year.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Dear god. I can't wait for next week. Crawley lost and Torquay drew. If they both draw and we win, we're up. If either wins, then we can't do it. If they both lose and we draw, we're up.

Can't. Wait.

AlanHUK

5-14-6-1
Nov 27, 2010
Nottingham, England
Took us long enough!

Forest are the third highest grossing club in the league for ticket sales and our annual turnover was £15.6m. Therefore, relegated clubs will be given literally double the disposable income that the rest of the league are allowed. This is exactly what the Premier League want, the same 25/26 teams rotating by the years as the rest of us struggle to keep up, hamstrung by the new financial restraints.

How long before w**kers like Phil Gartside suddenly re-suggest the break-away league? Would suddenly look less ridiculous if there's the same 25-odd teams in it every year...

The thing is while they'll have twice as much due to the £16m in the first year after relegation, they'll also have a much higher wage bill.

Then if they don't make it back up instantly they're shafted. Much like Leicester will be if they don't make it up next year while the rules aren't at their strictest.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Sheffield Wednesday return to the Championship at United's expense. The Blades will meet some team or other whose name escapes me in the play-offs, while I think Huddersfield face the McDonalds fast food chain, or something.

Wycombe, Chesterfield, Exeter and Rochdale were demoted to League Two. Coming up with Swindon are Crawley and (drum roll, Errol) Shrewsbury Town! The play-offs paired Southend with Crewe and Torquay with Cheltenham. Shrimper will be supplying us with up-to-the-minute nervous breakdowns.

Hereford were relegated to the Blue Square Conference. Having finished 17 points ahead of Luton, Wrexham were eliminated from the play-offs by the Hatters. York defeated Mansfield in the other tie. Good luck to the Minstermen, but I'd bet on Luton prevailing.

Meanwhile, progression to Wembley will no doubt have swollen Sam Allardyce's already grotesque head to even vaster proportions. Blackpool and Birmingham meet tonight for the right to defend civilisation at Wembley.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad