Speculation: The emergence of Chabot.

If EK was still here, would Chabot have had this opportunity?

• Total voters

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Chabot is number 1 on the Score's Norris trophy power ranking.

If he finishes leading defensemen with 70+ points, it's going to be interesting to see how much of a dent he makes in the voting. I don't think he's been consistent enough in our own end to merit a Norris if there is a better all around defender in the 60+ point range, but points usually dictate a big part of the Norris voting.

We've seen the "Due Doughty" rule, in that a player on a non-playoff team is disqualified from placing first in Norris voting. This might be enough to keep Chabot form winning the Norris, even if he maintained his ridiculous 80-90 point pace. (Which he almost certainly won't maintain, but still)

With that said, Chabot winning the Norris despite the Senators missing the playoffs would be an interesting story considering EK got robbed of the Norris 3 years ago when we missed out on the post season.

Reactions: Cosmix and bert

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
It's flat out amazing to watch this kid. I remember watching Karlsson at his age - and he was amazing, but Chabot's also got that ice in his veins and can gallop up the ice - again, perhaps not like 65, but he's got a LOT of the same attributes. Stunning development. He's already a star.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I love Karlsson and I still miss him from time to time. But let me be honest, Chabot is way better than I expected he would be this early on. Chabot and the rest of this young core are making me forget about Karlsson a little bit. I was really excited about Karlsson when he first came into the league, and thought he would be the saviour of our blueline. Karlssson gave us some great years, but I think Chabot will be better long term.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I was half listening as my fireplace was being serviced, but the gist of Sportsnet Central was how Burns/Karlsson is not working at all and it is a very bad fit for San Jose. They made it sound like the team will not sign Karlsson. They said they are essentially the same kind of high risk defenceman, and on and on.

So, it is very easy to assume that Chabot and Karlsson would be a slam dunk. Personally, I don't think Chabot is this effective with Karlsson on this team. he wouldn't get the prime PP minutes for starters.

I do think that if Karlsson re-signed, Chabot eventually would have been to this level at some point. I just think that everything was accelerated with the Karlsson trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: DylanSensFan

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
we could have had Karlsson and Chabot on the same blueline SMH

next year man next year.

Chabot - DeMelo
Lajoie - Karlsson
Who The - Hell
Cares

In seriousness

Chabot - DeMelo
Lajoie - Karlsson
Wolanin - Jaros

:amazed::amazed:

:crossfing:crossfing

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
If GB deployed Chabot properly last year, this would not have been such a surprise.

This org needs to right past wrongs and instead of ignoring their highly talented generational young defenceman, they need to be marketing him like the star player he is.

Instead, we get Boro shoved down our throats.

Honestly, I'd rather Boro take the media heat and let Chabot do his thing. Chabot will be a superstar and he will have to give tons of interviews and be the go to for our marketing, but right now I just want to watch him develop on the ice, game to game.

Reactions: bert

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Honestly, I'd rather Boro take the media heat and let Chabot do his thing. Chabot will be a superstar and he will have to give tons of interviews and be the go to for our marketing, but right now I just want to watch him develop on the ice, game to game.
Not talking "media heat",which BTW, Boro takes absolutely none of, the media LOVE him because the org does.

I am talking about marketing this team. Star players should be used in marketing campaigns. Not fringe NHL defencemen.

DylanSensFan

Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Not talking "media heat",which BTW, Boro takes absolutely none of, the media LOVE him because the org does.

I am talking about marketing this team. Star players should be used in marketing campaigns. Not fringe NHL defencemen.

Yeah, well... Eug's pet will always get first crack. They may also be trying to play the Ottawa boy angle. They should be pushing Chabot for marketing materials, but I think that the organization thought they might have a bigger dumpster fire on their hands than what we are seeing now. In which case, best to protect prospects in the beginning.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I was half listening as my fireplace was being serviced, but the gist of Sportsnet Central was how Burns/Karlsson is not working at all and it is a very nad fit for San Jose. They made it sound like the team will not sign Karlsson. They said they are essentially the same kind of high risk defenceman, and on and on.

So, it is very easy to assume that Chabot and Karlsson would be a slam dunk. Personally, I don't think Chabot is this effective with Karlsson on this team. he wouldn't get the prime PP minutes for starters.

I do think that if Karlsson re-signed, Chabot eventually would have been to this level at some point. I just think that everything was accelerated with the Karlsson trade.

I think EK and Chabot could have been on the PP together and do well, just like I think Karlsson and Burns could be, but DeBoer doesn't put them together on it.

Reactions: coladin

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I was half listening as my fireplace was being serviced, but the gist of Sportsnet Central was how Burns/Karlsson is not working at all and it is a very nad fit for San Jose. They made it sound like the team will not sign Karlsson. They said they are essentially the same kind of high risk defenceman, and on and on.

I think the one key difference is that Karlsson and Burns are both RD, so they don't play together in any 5v5 situation.

Karlsson and Chabot, theoretically, could have formed one pairing. We won't know how it would've worked, but that could have been a dynamic combination, especially in situations where you need to score.

Karlsson and Burns are also more similar than Chabot and Karlsson in how they play. They're both puck dominant and need to be the primary puck carrier. Chabot plays a bit differently. His strength isn't rushing the puck (although he can do it), it's more making fast, accurate passes (like Redden in his prime, only I'd say he's already better). That could have meshed better with Karlsson.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I love EK, but he's gone. If he was still here, would Chabot have had this opportunity? The kid is killing it.

This is a bit of a tough question, I think with this current coaching staff the answer is no. But hypothetically he should be, you can have more than one number 1 d man. Especially with the depth this team currently has or lack there of just split them both at even strength and put them on the first pp together.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
They should be pushing Chabot for marketing materials, but I think that the organization thought they might have a bigger dumpster fire on their hands than what we are seeing now.
The fire is rather large. I would bet that they DIDN'T expect the fire to burn quite as big as it is.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Lidstrom-Coffey
Stevens-Niedermayer
Pronger-Niedermayer
Subban-Josi-Ekholm

Why are people so desperately trying to convince themselves Chabot - Karlsson wpuldwou have worked?

When is having two superstar d instead of one ever a bad idea?
only in ottawa is being mediocre acceptable

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Lidstrom-Coffey
Stevens-Niedermayer
Pronger-Niedermayer
Subban-Josi-Ekholm

Why are people so desperately trying to convince themselves Chabot - Karlsson wouldn't have worked?

Pronger - Al MacInnis
Chara - Redden
Weber - Suter

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Lidstrom-Coffey
Stevens-Niedermayer
Pronger-Niedermayer
Subban-Josi-Ekholm

Why are people so desperately trying to convince themselves Chabot - Karlsson wouldn't have worked?

Because most of those guys were better defensively than EK was & is as he proved last yr again with the exception of Coffey. Those two might be dynamic offensively, although Chabot IMO would not touch the puck as often as all the offence would go through EK, but defensively those two could be another tire fire defensively. With the emergence of Chabot I don't miss EK at all.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Because most of those guys were better defensively than EK was & is as he proved last yr again with the exception of Coffey. Those two might be dynamic offensively, although Chabot IMO would not touch the puck as often as all the offence would go through EK, but defensively those two could be another tire fire defensively. With the emergence of Chabot I don't miss EK at all.

How does a player who is a tire fire defensively almost win this team a cup?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
How does a player who is a tire fire defensively almost win this team a cup?
Almost only counts in grenades, the CF is the closest he has ever come in his time here, he's never been to a SC final. I'm sure you can remember all the times he was highlighted between periods getting walked by many different players. He was weak defensively & it has been pointed out throughout his career with the exception of that one yr when even I thought he deserved to win the Norris that yr.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Almost only counts in grenades, the CF is the closest he has ever come in his time here, he's never been to a SC final. I'm sure you can remember all the times he was highlighted between periods getting walked by many different players. He was weak defensively & it has been pointed out throughout his career with the exception of that one yr when even I thought he deserved to win the Norris that yr.

Yea Ceci, Demelo, Boro are so much better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad