The Elusive Power Forward

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Would rather have players who compete consistently night in night out. Don't really care for labels anymore.

If it were possible I'd rather have 6 turris like players in our top 6. But if power forwards are what we're looking for, I guess Chris Stewart would do? He brings that nastiness, size, skill and willingness to drop the gloves. Only problem with him is consistency and thats a bit iffy for me.

6 turris's? really, I think hes a great player and will be for a long time. But he is still no where near where he has to be to compate against the rough big centers. after the first few altercations he bailed out 50/50 puck challenges in st Louis, and when boston was getting physical on Saturday he was struggling. Stiill has a long ways to go. I hope one day hes a 75 pointer for us

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Takes a very special kind of player and crazy genes to be a real power forward at 6'0 200 lbs

Elite says Neely was 6'1 218 lbs. Lazar won't be that big

How are you defining power forward.... A player with size who hits and goes to the net? Lazar....Not to mention he has speed to burn, and a developed defensive game.
Just because he has some qualities, like a nice shot doesn't mean he isn't a "power forward". I don't like that label at all, everyone has a different view of it

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I dont think anyone is saying he needs to or will add 20 pounds.

It really depends where he bulks up if he'll lose speed.

He can be a power forward without being nasty and a fighter.

If he bulks up but trains properly he wont lose speed by adding muscle..have you seen st Louis tree trunks. If this were true st louis would be a snail out there.

TeamGrit

Feb 1, 2014
Power forward or not, Lazar should be real good for this team when/if he makes it. Everything i've heard has described him as a power forward, so i'm ok with calling him that for now. Callahan would be awesome, but reports of him wanting 6.7 for 7 years, if accurate, is just too much. I'd go with Ott if we could sign him to an extension.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I don't know about official stats, but Lazar looked like one of the shorter guys on Team Canada in December.

When I think of power forward, it's a guy who forechecks and backchecks hard, gets a good 60 points per season, can play both an offensive and shutdown role, and can energize a team. Usually you need a big body to do that.....but medium sized bodies with very high hockey IQ and skill an fill the role, too.

Not sure what Lazar will become, but I do think people are getting a wee bit too excited over him. He'll be a good player for us, but I don't see that elite scoring touch for big (60+) points in the NHL.

WhiteLight*

How are you defining power forward.... A player with size who hits and goes to the net? Lazar....Not to mention he has speed to burn, and a developed defensive game.
Just because he has some qualities, like a nice shot doesn't mean he isn't a "power forward". I don't like that label at all, everyone has a different view of it

I don't know about official stats, but Lazar looked like one of the shorter guys on Team Canada in December.

When I think of power forward, it's a guy who forechecks and backchecks hard, gets a good 60 points per season, can play both an offensive and shutdown role, and can energize a team. Usually you need a big body to do that.....but medium sized bodies with very high hockey IQ and skill an fill the role, too.

Not sure what Lazar will become, but I do think people are getting a wee bit too excited over him. He'll be a good player for us, but I don't see that elite scoring touch for big (60+) points in the NHL.

Power forward is guy who can dominate physically. Big hits, dominate the boards, the front of the net, drive the net, and overpower D-men. And put up offensive numbers.

Getzlaf, Perry, Lucic, Landeskog, Benn, Backes, Ladd, Hartnell, Hanzal, Foligno, Kreider, Kane, Iginla, Eller

WhiteLight*

If he bulks up but trains properly he wont lose speed by adding muscle..have you seen st Louis tree trunks. If this were true st louis would be a snail out there.

St. Louis is only 185

Not everyone can add muscle mass like St. Louis can. his leg are insane. There's a reason why he's elite and an Art Ross winner. Not everyone can get built like that. he's almost one of a kind in this league. If you're expecting Lazar to be like St. Louis, well... I'd lower my expectations

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Guys, the power-forward is Evander Kane, man. The guy is a physical ****ing beast. He can also score 40 goals and is fast unlike Ryan. Imagine if Ryan shores up his skating a bit. We'd have 2 150+ 40 goal scorers on the team.

No one would match that in our division.

If not, I'll settle for Callahan, not as much goals as Kane but more heart and dedication.

looooooooooooooool

No.

loooooooooooooool rkl

Loooooooooooool, my bruddas. Keep the trend goin.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Guys, the power-forward is Evander Kane, man. The guy is a physical ****ing beast. He can also score 40 goals and is fast unlike Ryan. Imagine if Ryan shores up his skating a bit. We'd have 2 150+ 40 goal scorers on the team.

No one would match that in our division.

If not, I'll settle for Callahan, not as much goals as Kane but more heart and dedication.

Loooooooooooool, my bruddas. Keep the trend goin.

The asking price for Kane is reported to be 2 top six forwards and an A prospect. Would we still be tops in our division if we had to give up MacArthur, Zibanejad, and Stone (who isn't really A list, but we have what we have)?

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
The asking price for Kane is reported to be 2 top six forwards and an A prospect. Would we still be tops in our division if we had to give up MacArthur, Zibanejad, and Stone (who isn't really A list, but we have what we have)?

And the asking price for Bobby Ryan was Zibanejad, Cowen and a 1st. If I remember correctly.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Reported prices are always blown out of proportion. They ask for one thing and it completely changes.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Reported prices are always blown out of proportion. They ask for one thing and it completely changes.

So the Jets are going to move a young forward who is on a great long term contract, who is already putting up numbers while still having a lot more upside to get better, and who they actually don't have to move unless a team makes them an offer they can't refuse, for less than that?

Any team would give up a top 6 forward. Considering his age, any team would give up a top 6 plus a high end prospect (if they have one). If you want to make the Jets a deal they can't refuse in order to get him, the asking price is actually pretty close. If no one wants to pay that price then he stays with the Jets for years to come. They are not forced in any way to move him and they hold all of the cards.

If you want players like this you have to step up to the plate and pay through the nose. It is a similar situation as with Ryan, except that Kane is younger, on a far better contract that locks him in long term at a great price, and is outright meaner.

SenatorArmy*

I think projecting power forwards from junior is very difficult. You can just never really tell how/if the skills will translate at the NHL level. I think we all hoped Bobby Ryan might be that type of player but he's not quite. Truly great power forwards in the NHL are such a rare & hot commodity that the asking price will always likely be too high. You can maybe hope to develop one & even then that generally takes much longer too.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Its a shame how poorly Washington is developing Tom Wilson. No idea why hes in the NHL.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
Getzlaf, Perry, Lucic, Landeskog, Benn, Backes, Ladd, Hartnell, Hanzal, Foligno, Kreider, Kane, Iginla, Eller

Finally a real power-forward or two are starting to get name dropped. Lol at half the guys people have mentioned in this thread. They are grinders that can make a hit or two.

I guess it says something about the state of hockey when people are mentioning names like Lazar as power forwards. That's the worst comparison I've ever seen with the Lazar - Lucic article.

They have always been a rare breed, but I guess it's worse than I thought in the league today.

Players who were at least one point in time power forwards are Bertuzzi, Lucic, Kassian, Hartnell, Iginla, Malone, etc.

Maybe it's my personal definition, but a power forward should strike fear into opposing players. All those guys are 6"3' to 6"5' and 230+ pounds. That's almost a requisite IMO. You have to be able to beat up or at least hang with anyone in the league with your fists, hurt defenseman on the forecheck, and bash your way to the net.

Last edited by a moderator:

corksens

Jul 19, 2005

Kindly provide some current NHL examples for reference?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad