The Elusive Power Forward

senility

May 23, 2005
Murray has gone on record as saying that he wants to acquire a power forward who is feisty, can pot a few goals, and has enough game to play in the top 6, preferably with Spezza. I would think one who shoots left would be ideal. Easier said than done!

It seems to me that we also know that ideally he'd like to do another quantity for quality deal if possible. While many of us are reluctant to have him resign Phillips, that's probably exactly what's going to happen, so as I see it the package he would be most likely to dangle to acquire said player would be something like this:

An expendable NHL winger (think Condra, Conacher, or Greening if anybody wants to take on his contract)

A young NHL caliber defenseman (preferably left shooting) with some upside (think Weircioch, Boroweicki, Claesson, or Gryba)

A scoring forward prospect that probably doesn't have a great shot of cracking our top 6 (think Dacosta, Hoffman, Schneider, Prince, Petersson, etc.)

Maybe a 2nd or 3rd round draft choice.

While I do think that could be a reasonably attractive package for a rebuilding team, I'm not sure every team would be interested in a trade like that, especially not a contending team at the trade deadline.

Assuming Murray is patient and takes a longer term view, which top 6 wingers do you think might reasonably be obtained for a package like that some time between now and the 2015 draft and which would you like to see Murray target?

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
Ooooo we should trade for Bobby Ryan!

LOL THIS!!!^^^^

Michalek was supposed to be a winger for Spezza
Ryan was supposed to be a winger for Spezza

Michalek and spezza had that one good anomoly of a year. I never saw great chemistry between them either. The next guy they get will supposed to be a winger for spezza and I bet they wont gel either

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Sad part is, Foligno has turned into that type of player.
15g, 16a, 31pts 153 hits.

Callahan fits that mold as far as players that may be available.

King Karlsson

Gersei Chongar
Sep 30, 2011
Sad part is, Foligno has turned into that type of player.
15g, 16a, 31pts 153 hits.

Callahan fits that mold as far as players that may be available.

I kinda miss Foligno, but I would not want to see our blueline without Methot..

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
been looking to add a top 6 scoring forward and grit since he's been here. forget it

unless he trades away methot and cowen or karlsson to open up other big holes.

everything is elusive when bryan murray is in charge

Spez

Feb 14, 2013
I'm on board the Callahan train but sadly I think some team is going to vastly overpay him and it won't be long until he is another team's version of Clarkson in terms of expectation vs salary.

senility

May 23, 2005

Interesting thought. Doubt he'd be available, unless Philly decides to tear it down and rebuild, but that doesn't seem to be their style. I like that he's locked up long term, but on the other hand, he is a fairly slow player who's likely to get a lot slower by the time that contract expires.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
Stafford. Fits what we need quite well. And Buffalo would probably like the assets (Conacher, Weircioch). Ideally we add something else they want and try to get a young guy like Pysyk who can stay in the AHL for another year and develop... but it's unlikely.

senility

May 23, 2005
Stafford. Fits what we need quite well. And Buffalo would probably like the assets (Conacher, Weircioch). Ideally we add something else they want and try to get a young guy like Pysyk who can stay in the AHL for another year and develop... but it's unlikely.

I thought about him too. Inconsistent and I'm not sure he can play the left side effectively, but he can be hard to contain when he's on his game.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Murray has gone on record as saying that he wants to acquire a power forward who is feisty, can pot a few goals, and has enough game to play in the top 6, preferably with Spezza. I would think one who shoots left would be ideal. Easier said than done!

So basically what we're paying Colin Greening to be?

In my opinion, this team lacks skill, not feistiness or grittiness.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Funny thing is Murray always say's he'd like to do it within, and here we have Hoffman tearing up the AHL! Give him a chance like he gave Ceci!

What's wrong with this picture????????

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
There's a reason these players are so sought after- they're very elusive.

Not many have bottom 6 grit to accompany top 6 skill.

jaygodard

Dec 3, 2013
Hoffman, switch 9MM to the other side!! They need to give him 5-6 games when the teams is actually playing well!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad