The Elusive Power Forward

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Yup, he does. Apparently they often ask Richardson who is playing best and use that to decide who comes to the big club.

If that's the case then Hoffman would already be up with Ottawa....There was a story in the Sun the other day saying how Richardson really hopes that Hoffman gets more of a look next time he comes up because he believes that he is a special player.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Sad part is, Foligno has turned into that type of player.
15g, 16a, 31pts 153 hits.

Callahan fits that mold as far as players that may be available.

Callahan is the type of player that is lacking on this team. He has a never give up attitude that the younger players can learn from. I would only trade for him if an extension came with the trade.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
Would rather have players who compete consistently night in night out. Don't really care for labels anymore.

If it were possible I'd rather have 6 turris like players in our top 6. But if power forwards are what we're looking for, I guess Chris Stewart would do? He brings that nastiness, size, skill and willingness to drop the gloves. Only problem with him is consistency and thats a bit iffy for me.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Right now I'm more curious (and excited) to see what some of the Bingo kids can bring. I'm not really one of the 'shiny new toy' kind of guys - but I may be turning into one of the 'throw away the rusty old toys' guys.
But seriously, you say power forward and I think of some of the guys in Bingo who might be able to crash and score and compete. Maybe "Fists" Puempel, or Schneider, or Grant even? There's a half dozen guys there at forward who just might be that next guy who has a surprising career trajectory and can land and stay. I want to see what they can do. And if none of them is the answer, and the prospect wealth doesn't turn to gold - PACKAGE DEAL. ;) But yeah, I'll go Zen and say "look within for what you seek."

But yeah, power forward label? Screw it. That ends up Colin Greening more often than Can Neely.

officeglen

Oct 6, 2002
Eastern Ontario
Visit site
In my opinion, this team lacks skill, not feistiness or grittiness.
"Murray has targeted an experienced forward, either a scorer or a physical, power forward"
www.senatorsextra.com/main/murray-promoted-to-president-of-hockey-operations
Sad part is, Foligno has turned into that type of player.
15g, 16a, 31pts 153 hits.
I like his younger bigger brother, 6'3", 223lbs, 149 hits, 21 blocked shots, 12 give aways, 24 take aways, 6g, 8a, -15 (about average for the team)

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Would rather have players who compete consistently night in night out. Don't really care for labels anymore.

If it were possible I'd rather have 6 turris like players in our top 6. But if power forwards are what we're looking for, I guess Chris Stewart would do? He brings that nastiness, size, skill and willingness to drop the gloves. Only problem with him is consistency and thats a bit iffy for me.

Stewart is not only inconsistent but is also lacking compete. He's not what we need. Go read the Blues board about him. They're beyond frustrated with him.

I wouldn't be against getting him for the right price but he seems like another Spezza and Ryan.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
The "Elusive Power Forward" we've been missing since pretty much forever is going to be Curtis Lazar, assuming everyone has the patience to wait for the kid to develop a bit.

WhiteLight*

The "Elusive Power Forward" we've been missing since pretty much forever is going to be Curtis Lazar, assuming everyone has the patience to wait for the kid to develop a bit.

Lazar doesn't have the size. He'll be closer to a MacArthur/Turris. Chippier maybe but not a power forward

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com

I think management has shown fantastic patience with these kids, and the focus is on development (e.g. Zibby with appropriate ice time for a 20 year old, Lehner playing backup while adapting to the NHL, etc).

The fan base on the other hand, well lets just say patience is measured person by person.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Lazar doesn't have the size. He'll be closer to a MacArthur/Turris. Chippier maybe but not a power forward

He's the same size as Cam Neely was in his heyday, assuming he fills his big frame out between now and his 22nd birthday. Kid probably needs to add 15lbs of muscle to his frame, but it's a very attainable thing to do, especially as a 19 year old who has yet to play a pro game.

No reason he can't be a very, very effective power forward.

WhiteLight*

He's the same size as Cam Neely was in his heyday, assuming he fills his big frame out between now and his 22nd birthday.

No reason he can't be a very, very effective power forward.

Takes a very special kind of player and crazy genes to be a real power forward at 6'0 200 lbs

Elite says Neely was 6'1 218 lbs. Lazar won't be that big

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Takes a very special kind of player and crazy genes to be a real power forward at 6'0 200 lbs

Elite says Neely was 6'1 218 lbs. Lazar won't be that big

Alright, fair enough... that's your opinion, and I know better than to bother arguing against it. I'll just trust every scouting report on the kid that says he'll be a hell of a power forward in this league.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

WhiteLight*

Alright, fair enough... that's your opinion, and I know better than to bother arguing against it. I'll just trust every scouting report on the kid that says he'll be a hell of a power forward in this league.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Care to share a scouting report?

Seems to me like he's a ''motor that never quits type'' of player. That's not really power forward material. For sure chippy and physical, but that doesn't mean he can outmuscle the average player.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Lazar 6'0 196 (Could easily grow another inch or 2)
Brown 6'0 207
Ott 6'0 189
Wingels 6'0 200
T. Ruutu 6'0 205
Foligno 6'0 210
B. Schenn 6'1 190
Kunitz 6'0 195
Callahan 5'11 190
E. Kane 6'2 195
Landeskog 6'1 204
Iginla 6'1 210

Ill never understand why Lazar is and has been labelled small.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I'd be willing to trade another prospect for player type deal. The whole league overvalues prospects and picks, lets fleece somebody with this year's 2nd and Lazar.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
People are in love with Wayne Simmonds because he's a young and big power forward. etc.

I wonder how many people realize he's 183 pounds.

WhiteLight*

Brown 6'0 207
Ott 6'0 189
Wingels 6'0 200
T. Ruutu 6'0 205
Foligno 6'0 210
B. Schenn 6'1 190
Kunitz 6'0 195
Callahan 5'11 190
E. Kane 6'2 195
Landeskog 6'1 204
Iginla 6'1 210

Lazar ain't growing 2 inches. I can see him adding 10 lbs at the most

Lazar's best attribute is speed. He loses that if he adds too much weight. If he's 195 now, he'll play around 200-205

Most of those guys I don't consider power forwards. They're grinders with some scoring touch. they don't outmuscle anyone, but have a nice compete level

He just turned 19 and your body continues to grow until you are 24.
Do not worry about Lazar.

I'm not worried about his size. Just saying he won't be power forward

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Care to share a scouting report?

We'll start from the HF Player Profile, I guess?:Will work his way onto a pro roster. A battler, power forward in the mold of a Milan Lucic. Very good offensive skills. Leadership skills in spades.

He is viewed as a power forward with offensive skills, but Laxdal suggests there is even more to the package.

he's a big, strong power forward with great hands around the net. (you need subscriber access for the full scouting report here, sorry)

... there are more, but I need to go get some groceries before the mall gets stupid, so this will have to do for now.

WhiteLight*

We'll start from the HF Player Profile, I guess?:Will work his way onto a pro roster. A battler, power forward in the mold of a Milan Lucic. Very good offensive skills. Leadership skills in spades.

He is viewed as a power forward with offensive skills, but Laxdal suggests there is even more to the package.

he's a big, strong power forward with great hands around the net. (you need subscriber access for the full scouting report here, sorry)

... there are more, but I need to go get some groceries before the mall gets stupid, so this will have to do for now.

Well I disagree with HF a lot on their prospect evaluations

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Lazar ain't growing 2 inches. I can see him adding 10 lbs at the most

Lazar's best attribute is speed. He loses that if he adds too much weight. If he's 195 now, he'll play around 200-205

Most of those guys I don't consider power forwards. They're grinders with some scoring touch. they don't outmuscle anyone, but have a nice compete level

I'm not worried about his size. Just saying he won't be power forward

I dont think anyone is saying he needs to or will add 20 pounds.

It really depends where he bulks up if he'll lose speed.

He can be a power forward without being nasty and a fighter.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Brown 6'0 207
Ott 6'0 189
Wingels 6'0 200
T. Ruutu 6'0 205
Foligno 6'0 210
B. Schenn 6'1 190
Kunitz 6'0 195
Callahan 5'11 190
E. Kane 6'2 195
Landeskog 6'1 204
Iginla 6'1 210

I don't know for sure, but it may have something to do with the fact that sometimes the height and weight of players are exaggerated. Although he is listed as 6' tall he could be a couple of inches short of that. I would go by what the scouts say. If they say he is small then he is probably 5'9-5'10-ish. If they don't mention his size then the 6' figure is accurate.

Doesn't matter much though. Power forwards don't have to be 6'5 to get the job done. They do need good balance, and having a low center of gravity helps when you put your shoulder down and bash through players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad