The Edmonton Oilers and Math

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Lol the worst performing team in pro sports and the guys that have run the team are sitll employed within it. Only in Edmonton.

The thing I find funny is, things were actually looking up for a change for a while, and then Kevin Lowe showed up in a between periods interview, and everything went to complete **** after that. Karma.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Well, first off, I'd say 8 points after 17 games is a huge gap. Extrapolate it over a season, and the Oilers miss the playoffs by 40 points.

Also, this is not our first 17 Eakins-less games. Todd Nelson coached more than half the season last year.

It's all bad. No sugar-coating this.
They are not nearly as bad as their record indicates. They have been unlucky to lose some of their games and you can see that they are the team that is generating the bulk of the good scoring chances when the games are close. That's against good teams and bad teams. They aren't playing down to the level of the bad teams or getting shellacked by the good teams.

It takes time for a young team like this to realize that all they have to do is their own job and the w's will come, but they have a good coach and a lot of smart players, good leadership.

If the team stays healthy for a while after McD gets back they will be crazy. I could see them playing at .750 for an extended stretch.

A playoff spot is hard to bet on right now but I am sure that they will get right back into the race.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
The thing I find funny is, things were actually looking up for a change for a while, and then Kevin Lowe showed up in a between periods interview, and everything went to complete **** after that. Karma.

Yep, and we're five minutes from being dead last in the league. Can't go down anymore at least.

:handclap:

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
I'm. Checked out. Not really interested these days. Haven't watched a full game in two weeks.
This year is so different from the past two seasons. The team is competitive in every game now, they're not down 3-0 halfway thru the 2nd period and still getting badly outshot.

Last year a 5-2 loss usually flattered the team. This year their 4-3 losses are games that actually got away from them with bad calls from nhl central or a couple bad breaks.

It's all about entertainment, and there's still plenty imo.

SullivanT

May 9, 2015
Edmonton
It takes some kind of math to be this bad year after year.

Must be that new system of math they are trying to teach our kids bow days. Something has got to give we have alot of good pieces on this team it just doesn't make sense anymore. I mean if we can turn this around sometime in the next year or so you would have to think it would be a big turn around. Here's to high hopes

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Its not that easy to be last out of 30 teams - this is quite an accomplishment given the talent they have.

stompinstoms

Sep 1, 2014
Vancouver
They are not nearly as bad as their record indicates. They have been unlucky to lose some of their games and you can see that they are the team that is generating the bulk of the good scoring chances when the games are close. That's against good teams and bad teams. They aren't playing down to the level of the bad teams or getting shellacked by the good teams.

It takes time for a young team like this to realize that all they have to do is their own job and the w's will come, but they have a good coach and a lot of smart players, good leadership.

If the team stays healthy for a while after McD gets back they will be crazy. I could see them playing at .750 for an extended stretch.

A playoff spot is hard to bet on right now but I am sure that they will get right back into the race.

You almost had me until you said you think the team can go .750 for an extended stretch. That's 62 wins over an 82 game season.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00