Post-Game Talk: The Edmonton McDavids win 6-2 , bad start to the road trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
It's fun when Niemi is getting destroyed in net.....Poeple starts to talk about the real problems and less about the goaltender.
Weber and Byron's return will help a lot in our zone cause it's just not on the D, it's not like there's a lot of forwards not helping there.
Both will help a lot on the PK and Weber on the PP.

But as many said, even with Weber in...this team is still a nightmare in their zone.

For me the one going under the radar is Danault. He's okay defensively but he's got top put some numbers on the board.
No goal in his last 11 games (He's got only 1 this season). He's got 5 assists in the last 11 games, 2 of which were on empty netter.
He's again on pace for a 40 pts season in a top 6 role playing around 17:30 each game.
Not enough, he could be a really good 3rd line center but as a top 6, he's not good at all.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
I was at the game and I'm not giving Niemi a pass merely because he faced a lot of shots or because he doesn't make a ton of money. He was horrible on 4 of the 6 goals against him.

The Draisaitl goal was all Dumbko's fault. How he thought he was ever going to catch McJebus with a hip check beggars belief. He is nothing but a 180 lb sack of sweaty garbage.

We all know on an intellectual level that the defense is bad but it isnt until you watch it in person that you realize just how awful it really is. Two healthy Webers couldn't help this bunch, never mind just one. Last night the best defensive zone coverage I saw was from Kotkaniemi, who doesnt qualify for Norris Trophy consideration; something he has in common with the Habs' defense corps.

Last night was a straight up waste of my time and money. Half the arena was wearing Habs jerseys and they still mailed it in like they always do when they come to western Canada.

Reactions: Runner77

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
He was injured in the first game and played injured for a while before shutting it down so last year doesn't exactly mean much.

Going back to his pred days, his net impact is highly dependent on his partner... He doesn't elevate a weak partner the way ppl seem to think he will & that's exposed with us given our lack of top pairing LD takent

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
It's fun when Niemi is getting destroyed in net.....Poeple starts to talk about the real problems and less about the goaltender.
Weber and Byron's return will help a lot in our zone cause it's just not on the D, it's not like there's a lot of forwards not helping there.
Both will help a lot on the PK and Weber on the PP.

But as many said, even with Weber in...this team is still a nightmare in their zone.

For me the one going under the radar is Danault. He's okay defensively but he's got top put some numbers on the board.
No goal in his last 11 games (He's got only 1 this season). He's got 5 assists in the last 11 games, 2 of which were on empty netter.
He's again on pace for a 40 pts season in a top 6 role playing around 17:30 each game.
Not enough, he could be a really good 3rd line center but as a top 6, he's not good at all.
When your job is to shut down McDavid, Crosby, and every other opponent's top snipers, you won't get the chance to do much scoring of your own.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Going back to his pred days, his net impact is highly dependent on his partner... He doesn't elevate a weak partner the way ppl seem to think he will & that's exposed with us given our lack of top pairing LD takent
Speaking of Dman elevating a weak partner..... Best at that ?

Andre Markov

Last edited:
Reactions: WeThreeKings

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
The defense has been real bad all season. That said, it's silly to take anything from this game on its own. Was clear from the puck drop the Habs didn't have it and the Oilers did. No idea why they broke up the pairings we had at the start of the season. Our defense was still bad but it was at least workable.

Reilly - Petry
Mete - Juulsen
Ouelette - Benn

Even swap out Ouellete and Schlemko if you want. Benn is a guy I like because of his beard but man he can't be anything but a 5/6 guy.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
When your job is to shut down McDavid, Crosby, and every other opponent's top snipers, you won't get the chance to do much scoring of your own.

Plekanec did it, his linesmates are producing and they are too playing against the same opponent as Danault......and honestly, i look the amount of goals the Habs are letting this past month, i wouldn't praise anybody shutdown's ability at this point.

Lars Eller is playing shutdown and has 10pts in 17 games.....from the 3rd line, where Danault should be actually.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Speaking of Dman elevating a weak partner?..... Best at that ?

Andre Markov

Markov & PK were both incredible in that regard...

Would have been something else to have had a GM smart enough to get them complimentary talent in that 2012-2016 window when Markov came back from injury & PK was hitting his prime.

Reactions: FlatIron

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I was at the game and I'm not giving Niemi a pass merely because he faced a lot of shots or because he doesn't make a ton of money. He was horrible on 4 of the 6 goals against him.

The Draisaitl goal was all Dumbko's fault. How he thought he was ever going to catch McJebus with a hip check beggars belief. He is nothing but a 180 lb sack of sweaty garbage.

We all know on an intellectual level that the defense is bad but it isnt until you watch it in person that you realize just how awful it really is. Two healthy Webers couldn't help this bunch, never mind just one. Last night the best defensive zone coverage I saw was from Kotkaniemi, who doesnt qualify for Norris Trophy consideration; something he has in common with the Habs' defense corps.

Last night was a straight up waste of my time and money. Half the arena was wearing Habs jerseys and they still mailed it in like they always do when they come to western Canada.
May I suggest donating the tickets next time to some kids who never get to go. :thumbu:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Bergeron is the best player in the league at doing that, doesn't really prove much other than he's really great
Proves you can play against the other teams best forwards and while trying to shut them down still put up (good, decent, or huge) numbers yourself.

If you are putting up no numbers you are in the wrong spot.

Reactions: groovejuice and LaP

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Proved you can play against the other teams best forwards and while trying to shut them down still put up (good, decent, or huge) numbers yourself.

If you are putting up no numbers you are in the wrong spot.
It's easier to defend against the other team's best scorers when you are your own team's best scorer. They have to watch you as much as you have to watch them.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Proved you can play against the other teams best forwards and while trying to **** them down put up numbers yourself.

But yes Bergevin may be the best at contributing huge at both ends.

I know it's not impossible but like, idk to me what you're saying is like saying "it is possible to hit the top corner every shot just look at Ovechkin"

like yeah it is but being able to do it well is incredibly hard and that's why he's elite and others aren't and that's why Bergeron is incredible and others aren't

Reactions: groovejuice

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I know it's not impossible but like, idk to me what you're saying is like saying "it is possible to hit the top corner every shot just look at Ovechkin"

like yeah it is but being able to do it well is incredibly hard and that's why he's elite and others aren't and that's why Bergeron is incredible and others aren't
Guess you didnt read the post my point was responding too.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Wow, Schlemko still sucks as much as Alzner. Who would have thought Bergevin could find 2 of the worse blueliners in the NHL and sign them to fat contracts?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
It's easier to defend against the other team's best scorers when you are your own team's best scorer. They have to watch you as much as you have to watch them.
Good point. Nodody is out there feeling they have to "watch" Danault.

I was merely commenting to the poster who claims Danault is not scoring because he is "playing against/shutting down the likes of Crosby amd MacDavid"

CJ should try that. He can start playing Danault against the Elers and Boninos and Domi against the Crosby and MacDavids.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laurentide

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

How much for tickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad