Post-Game Talk: The Edmonton McDavids win 6-2 , bad start to the road trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
My concern is that our two young Dmen are being exposed and should probably be sent down and developed at bit more. It would not hurt them. Kulak and Ouellet would be better options at this point.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
$125 plus taxes and fees ($134 and change) for a seat in the nosebleeds 3 rows from the roof of the arena. Another $25 for parking. Beer is $10-$12. A slice of pizza and a pop was $13. The only thing missing is the sound of the power drill they're screwing you with.

How did the hot dogs look?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Is Schlemko on a fat contract?

No. He only has one more year on his contract; however at $2,2m. Bergevin didn't sign. He traded for him. A 5th to Vegas who drafted him from San Jose.

He's been a 6th-7th D on every team he's played and we play as a top 2.

Our D is so bad.

Reactions: Rapala

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
$125 plus taxes and fees ($134 and change) for a seat in the nosebleeds 3 rows from the roof of the arena. Another $25 for parking. Beer is $10-$12. A slice of pizza and a pop was $13. The only thing missing is the sound of the power drill they're screwing you with.
That's one hell of an image lol

Reactions: OldCraig71

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Keep cringing because they are right. 82 game schedule and 16 playoff wins requires the type of fortitude we aren't close to possessing. The biggest team won the cup last year and anyone who knows hockey realizes size is very important particularly down the middle.
You are wrong. Caps weren't the biggest team last year. They were one of the biggest teams. Dallas, St.Louis, Winnipeg, Calgary, Anaheim, Islanders and LA were also part of the group that were the biggest teams in the league. 4 of them didnt even make the playoffs. 2 of them lost in the first round. If you remember, LA lost because Vegas was lightning quick. So the caps being one of the biggest teams had little effect to their cup win. Backstrom and Kuzy are hardly physical beasts. The caps won because of skill and speed. Tampa was the smallest team in the league last year(fact), and they are cup contenders would you agree?

Two years ago I watched Malkin manhandling players like Ellis. Last year I watched guys like TJ Oshie and Lars Eller beasting in the post season wearing down the opposition. I also watched the Habs get destroyed by a terrible Rangers team in our last playoff, with the only smallish player of note on our team being Brendan Gallagher the others couldn't break through a wet paper bag.
Funny because two years ago I remember Kessel and Crosby FLYING past players and use their world class talent to win games. Wasnt it 5'10 Pageau who destroyed those Rangers? I guess size doesn't matter there! But hey, I can guarantee you that the Rangers defense had trouble handling his speed.

Using McDavid as an example is exactly the type of player you hope to draft. His quotient of size speed and skill is through the roof. We are collectively too small by a long shot. Size matters Mass + Velocity + Skill will always trump Velocity + Skill. AINEC
That's such an awful way to prove your point. You are using 2 traits vs 3 traits that possesses both those traits. Of course the latter is going to win. I will tell you what though, Speed>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mass.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Schlemko looked awful because he was matched up with McDavid all the time. I have no clue what Julien is thinking.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Outside of the three win streak at the start of the year, the team is showing a lot of cracks. I hope they keep the up tempo game, but you have to think Julien and MB will want to neuter the offense. Personally, I'd rather lose 5-4 than 2-0.

Reactions: groovejuice

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
You are wrong. Caps weren't the biggest team last year. They were one of the biggest teams. Dallas, St.Louis, Winnipeg, Calgary, Anaheim, Islanders and LA were also part of the group that were the biggest teams in the league. 4 of them didnt even make the playoffs. 2 of them lost in the first round. If you remember, LA lost because Vegas was lightning quick. So the caps being one of the biggest teams had little effect to their cup win. Backstrom and Kuzy are hardly physical beasts. The caps won because of skill and speed.

Funny because two years ago I remember Kessel and Crosby FLYING past players and use their world class talent to win games. Wasnt it 5'10 Pageau who destroyed those Rangers? I guess size doesn't matter there! But hey, I can guarantee you that the Rangers defense had trouble handling his speed.

That's such an awful way to prove your point. You are using 2 traits vs 3 traits that possesses both those traits. Of course the latter is going to win. I will tell you what though, Speed>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mass.

Crosby and Kessel are not small compared to what we have. Pageau did not destroy the Rags they were horrible to begin with. Vegas had some size as well and yes the Caps were reported to be the biggest team on average in the Playoffs. I'm not saying that size is the intimidating factor it once was. The point is you do need strength seeded through your lineup to survive this league. As I posted earlier this year if our club gives the effort management wants from them game in and game out we will be mush by Christmas. As far as using the quotient argument you are the one who keeps bringing up players like McDavid and now Kuzy both are beasts compared to anything we currently have and are great examples of how size should be part of the equation when trying to build a competitive team. And yes I'd agree speed over mass is greater than mass, but there are still exceptions to that rule with players like Chara who cover so much territory and are even more effective when the whistles get put away.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Jesus, the NHL is really screwing itself out of a live arena fanbase!

I haven’t gone in a few years, but it’s cheeper for me to fly to California, catch two games, and enjoy the weather and activities then it is to drive 5 hours, stay with family, and get a couple of tickets in the upper deck of an Oilers/Habs game. What’s also rich is they blackout the games in my area so if you don’t have cable, you’re screwed despite paying $200 for Gamecenter.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I haven’t gone in a few years, but it’s cheeper for me to fly to California, catch two games, and enjoy the weather and activities then it is to drive 5 hours, stay with family, and get a couple of tickets in the upper deck of an Oilers/Habs game. What’s also rich is they blackout the games in my area so if you don’t have cable, you’re screwed despite paying $200 for Gamecenter.

I was at the BC for that terrible yet exciting game against Buffalo. 2 large draft beer 4 Michigan hotdogs and 2 Lays chips ran $73.00. @Laurentide was talking about the sound of a drill here it's pure sledgehammer.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I was at the BC for that terrible yet exciting game against Buffalo. 2 large draft beer 4 Michigan hotdogs and 2 Lays chips ran $73.00. @Laurentide was talking about the sound of a drill here it's pure sledgehammer.

I don’t doubt it. Every game I’ve gone to in Canada has always been ridiculous. I had lower bowl seats to Habs/Oilers game in 2005 and I had a scalper offer me $500 a ticket. Shows you what people will pay.

Reactions: Runner77

Slipknot

Lion King
Nov 15, 2017
No. He only has one more year on his contract; however at $2,2m. Bergevin didn't sign. He traded for him. A 5th to Vegas who drafted him from San Jose.

He's been a 6th-7th D on every team he's played and we play as a top 2.

Our D is so bad.

If he is a 6th-7th D-man, how the hell is he receiving a 2.2M $? That's a fat contract in my opinion.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Crosby and Kessel are not small compared to what we have. Pageau did not destroy the Rags they were horrible to begin with. Vegas had some size as well and yes the Caps were reported to be the biggest team on average in the Playoffs. I'm not saying that size is the intimidating factor it once was. The point is you do need strength seeded through your lineup to survive this league. As I posted earlier this year if our club gives the effort management wants from them game in and game out we will be mush by Christmas. As far as using the quotient argument you are the one who keeps bringing up players like McDavid and now Kuzy both are beasts compared to anything we currently have and are great examples of how size should be part of the equation when trying to build a competitive team. And yes I'd agree speed over mass is greater than mass, but there are still exceptions to that rule with players like Chara who cover so much territory and are even more effective when the whistles get put away.
Pacioretty is 6'2 and he was about the softest player ever in the playoffs. Gallagher was 10 times better in that department despite being much smaller. Pageau DID destroy the Rags. 6 goals in 6 games. Vegas was best known for their speed and compete level, you are simply wrong if you think i's anything else. So now you are changing your argument. You said that the Caps were the biggest team last year and now you are saying in the playoffs. The Kings were 0.1 lb lighter than the Caps and the Jets were 0.3 lb lighter. The Jets were 0.7 inches taller than the Caps and Kings who were the same height. The Bolts who were the smallest team in the league last year. Are they not a cup contending team? I like their odds a lot more than the big heavy Kings. Vegas was actually in the lower half of the league in size and they were known for their speed and always gave maximum effort. I think it was still a successful year for them last year no? McDavid and Kuzy are beasts compared to our players because of their skating and skill. It's simply elite and probably the best worldwide. Barzal falls in that category too, and he is just 6ft tall and maybe even shorter. There is also the other exceptions to that rule with Johnny Gaudreau and Patrick Kane who are both small players...

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Drai Russell and Nurse I think...
Draisaitl missed so many opportunities he should never have been a star. :laugh: Russell scored his first goal in a bezillion games and Nurse was effective. As per your team I would be furious as a fan to have so much talent not performing more consistently. There really is no excuse.
There is not tons of talent. Chiarelli traded it. Sound familiar?

Drai should have had 5 goals last night and McJesus 10 pts

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I just seen the Preds play in Edmonton and they looked real good. Its funny, we play them next week in Nashville and win. Weird NHL this year
Coyotes won 5 in a row and have best PK in league. But you know they are not going to play offs.

Islanders look better without Tavares.

and with all the networks, all their cameras, microphones, and reporters galore at every game.................Nylander is the most talked about player in the NHL.

Goofy stuff indeed

Last edited:
Reactions: Oilers in NS

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Pacioretty is 6'2 and he was about the softest player ever in the playoffs. Gallagher was 10 times better in that department despite being much smaller. Pageau DID destroy the Rags. 6 goals in 6 games. Vegas was best known for their speed and compete level, you are simply wrong if you think i's anything else. So now you are changing your argument. You said that the Caps were the biggest team last year and now you are saying in the playoffs. The Kings were 0.1 lb lighter than the Caps and the Jets were 0.3 lb lighter. The Jets were 0.7 inches taller than the Caps and Kings who were the same height. The Bolts who were the smallest team in the league last year. Are they not a cup contending team? I like their odds a lot more than the big heavy Kings. Vegas was actually in the lower half of the league in size and they were known for their speed and always gave maximum effort. I think it was still a successful year for them last year no? McDavid and Kuzy are beasts compared to our players because of their skating and skill. It's simply elite and probably the best worldwide. Barzal falls in that category too, and he is just 6ft tall and maybe even shorter. There is also the other exceptions to that rule with Johnny Gaudreau and Patrick Kane who are both small players...
you realize most of the names you wrote in that paragraph... well, they'd be among Habs biggest forwards... right ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad