OT: The Dynamite Kid passes away

Reilly13

Dec 2, 2011
He was charged but charges were dismissed, so it would seem your comment is not accurate.

If you know the facts of the case, it's pretty obvious what happened and the investigation that happened 30 years ago was a complete sham. Pathologist, coroner, had no doubt he did it and the civil case that ruled it a murder and ordered him to pay 500k to the family.

The case was looked at as complete slam dunk conviction when it was reopened 30 years after the fact but sadly he got away on being not mentally fit.

Anyways, Dynamite Kid was one of the best in ring performers of his era (along with Tiger Mask 1) and was hugely influential on modern day style especially in Japan, it's too bad he was a sadistic human and the story of his life can't be told without mentioning and sadly that's the case with a lot of wrestlers from his era.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
That's too bad he passed at 60. I had no idea he wasn't a very nice person away from the ring, which is disheartening to hear.

Reading these posts is a fun trip down memory lane. I loved Stampede Wrestling as well when I was little.
My favorite: Jason the Terrible :laugh:.
When I was about 8 or 9, I thought he was the real Jason from the F13 movies.

Once the Bulldogs moved onto WWF, it seemed they were always feuding with the Hart Foundation or Demolition...lots of epic matches between those tag teams.

As many have said, pretty talented wrestler back in the day.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
and I think it's classless to use a tribute thread about someone's death to bash them. (i'm pointing at you)

true or not.

loved davyboy and dynamite kid.
also loved Honky Tonk wayne and Rotten Ron Starr.
the cuban assassin and Gama Singh, the great gama.

in my older years, loved the Karachi vice.

the golden years of wrestling for me.
Loved the stories how Cuban would carry a knife every where he went so people wouldn’t mess with him lol

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Wrestling (especially from older eras) is like NHL enforcers times 1000. Bunch of dudes on PEDs getting hit in the head repeatedly and having to be on a constant supply of pain meds, while they're all fighting each other for limited amounts of screen time. Not surprising that most of them turn into abusive conspiracy theory nutjobs and then die early.

Though strangely Mick Foley seems to have avoided everything so far despite getting hit in the head more than anybody.
I was going to comment about Mick Foley. He might have been the most extreme wrestler ever. I haven’t watched the WWE for about ten years but the last time I saw him he looked like he was still doing all right. That’s pretty shocking considering what he went through and where so many of his contemporaries are now.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
I was going to comment about Mick Foley. He might have been the most extreme wrestler ever. I haven’t watched the WWE for about ten years but the last time I saw him he looked like he was still doing all right. That’s pretty shocking considering what he went through and where so many of his contemporaries are now.
Despite him doing damage to his body, he kept it clean from liquor and drugs.
Otherwise he would for sure be dead.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is a public hockey forum, Gord. Not a funeral.

Exactly this, and thank you for having the stature to stand up for what is right.

The reality as well is that its mostly these moments when people can spread info on the atrocity involved in respective activities. Wrestling wasn't victimless and watching it supported the debacle that was largely these competitors lives.

if comments on the lives of these fellows get more generally dispersed and it saves one soul out there from pursuing similar activity then it has merit. Not that it needs to either. The associated horrific spousal abuse seen at the hands of some of these "hero's would cause one to rethink positions and is reason enough to speak out.

So if I can, its certainly not classless for you to add to the thread what you have, and its OK for someone to start the thread. But the comments on the life should be expected. Life doesn't exist in some cathode ray vacuum transported to the days of eating candy popcorn on the couch and watching Stampede Wrestling. Reflection on life and life lived occurs in death and witnessing death. Perhaps as it should.

With respect intended to you all, and I hope the comments are met that way. The hardest thing to understand in life is where we passionately disagree. But to be able to do that makes us all better.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Besides which, y'all are young.

Archie, the Stomper, Gouldie
Dory Funk, Terry Funk, Funk Jr
Andre the Giant
Tor Kamata
Harley Race
Abdullah the Butcher (how politically incorrect)

Those were the names I remember.

Best remembered is the once a year event where a Calgary Stampede champ could face a world champ. Those probably had huge ratings. Seemed like Archie was always in those.

Last edited:

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Heck even Bret has had some pretty bad issues.

I follow Anvil's daughter on social media. She posts a lot of old school picks and when he was alive she'd post a lot of videos with the Anvil.

Not sure how something so beautiful came from the anvil though.

On a similar note......

The Cuban Assassin's daughter used to bar tend at the bar in the Saddledome in the early 2000's.

She was an absolute smoke show.

Had seasons tickets during the dark days of the Flames, me and my buddy would watch the games from the bar just so she would serve us!

Ahhhhh.....the good ol' days.

Back on topic......really sad to see them all go so young. It should really open up some eyes as to the seriousness of brain trauma. I know it was all scripted, but they were using their heads as weapons all the time. From a guy that has Swiss Cheese for a brain, I feel for all of them. And the countless others that will suffer in their golden years.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He's lucky he was married with a kid. It was their pain that caused Mick to do the right thing and walk away.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
When you look at pro boxing from that era its a sad list as well.

George Chuvalo= brain damage
Muhammad Ali= brain damage
Jimmy Young= brain damage
Joe Frazier= early death
Kenny Norton= early death
Jerry Quarry= brain damage and early death
Jimmy Ellis= brain damage and early death

Foreman seems to have fared the best.

15 round fights with head shots that would kill most people the first time they had to take one.

It's interesting that Chuvalo's son now speaks out about the dangers of boxing.

Last edited:

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Back on topic......really sad to see them all go so young. It should really open up some eyes as to the seriousness of brain trauma. I know it was all scripted, but they were using their heads as weapons all the time. From a guy that has Swiss Cheese for a brain, I feel for all of them. And the countless others that will suffer in their golden years.

Tying into this, an interesting point from Billington's wikipedia page:

Harley Race, the inventor of the diving headbutt, has stated that he regrets ever inventing the move, because it appears to cause spinal problems as well as concussions, and may have contributed to Billington's disability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad