OT: The Dynamite Kid passes away

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I was a little young to see a lot of him. I think I damn near remember mitalda better than him. I did however have him and Davey Boy's wrestling figures

It's unfortunate that he used that diving headbutt. Guy has been crippled up for 20-25 years already and is only 60.

Sadly he dies on his birthday yet

RIP Dynamite

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
The best I remember was when Davey Boy Smith was really skinny and Dynamite was a heel. Dynamite would just hammer Davey Boy.

I also remember Dynamite fighting Bad News Allen. Dynamite was the only one tough enough to take on Bad News Allen.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Outside of Brett Hart, wasn’t he the last one left of that crew? Such a shame. All those guys lived such short lives.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Outside of Brett Hart, wasn’t he the last one left of that crew? Such a shame. All those guys lived such short lives.
Yeah it’s hard to believe Bret is the only surviving member of the Hart Foundation!!! the Anvil, Owen, Davey Boy, Pillman all gone too soon and although Dynamite was not a member he was still part of the Hart family!!!

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
Loved that tag team duo, back when we thought the WWF was real! Sad that all of these guys are dying so early.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah it’s hard to believe Bret is the only surviving member of the Hart Foundation!!! the Anvil, Owen, Davey Boy, Pillman all gone too soon and although Dynamite was not a member he was still part of the Hart family!!!
Heck even Bret has had some pretty bad issues.

I follow Anvil's daughter on social media. She posts a lot of old school picks and when he was alive she'd post a lot of videos with the Anvil.

Not sure how something so beautiful came from the anvil though.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
The 80's and 90's were absolutely brutal for the life expectancy of male pro wrestlers, for a combination of reasons. Given Billington's laundry list of health issues, it's a minor miracle that he even lived to the age of 60.

Supposedly the WWE is a lot more strict with observing concussion protocols these days, and banned such things as chairshots to the head area. Even so, it's still a major problem.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The 80's and 90's were absolutely brutal for the life expectancy of male pro wrestlers, for a combination of reasons. Given Billington's laundry list of health issues, it's a minor miracle that he even lived to the age of 60.

Supposedly the WWE is a lot more strict with observing concussion protocols these days, and banned such things as chairshots to the head area. Even so, it's still a major problem.
I mean at the end of the day the WWE is no different than NHL or NFL or Boxing or whatever. They've done what they can to make things safer, but if you want to be apart of it there is a danger.

How many wrestlers are there in North America that aren't in a good organization? Guys that if they do get hurt or have long-term effects will be screwed as their little promotion will be long gone before issues arise?

Wrestlers are now aware of the risks. Unfortunately a lot of wrestlers weren't aware years ago.

trent_vinyl

Jul 5, 2005
I mean at the end of the day the WWE is no different than NHL or NFL or Boxing or whatever. They've done what they can to make things safer, but if you want to be apart of it there is a danger.

How many wrestlers are there in North America that aren't in a good organization? Guys that if they do get hurt or have long-term effects will be screwed as their little promotion will be long gone before issues arise?

Wrestlers are now aware of the risks. Unfortunately a lot of wrestlers weren't aware years ago.
Be interesting to find out how many of these deaths and/or long term health issues are a result of concussions versus steroid use. Probably a combination of both, but those guys back then were juicing like crazy. When Dynamite Kid came to Stampede Wrestling he was a skinny punk. The way he was on WWF was ridiculous.

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
As a young un I don’t have any first hand knowledge of Dynamite. All I have to go off of are what people who do have to say, and it’s pretty telling that it’s pretty much universal, Dynamite Kid was a terrific talent that was before his time and he unfortunately burned out like a lot of his contemporaries did, both in the Hart family and in wrestling in general. His in ring abilities should be remembered

Thomas Billington on the other hand...

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

Wrestling (especially from older eras) is like NHL enforcers times 1000. Bunch of dudes on PEDs getting hit in the head repeatedly and having to be on a constant supply of pain meds, while they're all fighting each other for limited amounts of screen time. Not surprising that most of them turn into abusive conspiracy theory nutjobs and then die early.

Though strangely Mick Foley seems to have avoided everything so far despite getting hit in the head more than anybody.

FiveFourteenSixOne

5-14-6-1
Sponsor
Jan 28, 2006
Edmonton
Wrestling (especially from older eras) is like NHL enforcers times 1000. Bunch of dudes on PEDs getting hit in the head repeatedly and having to be on a constant supply of pain meds, while they're all fighting each other for limited amounts of screen time. Not surprising that most of them turn into abusive conspiracy theory nutjobs and then die early.

Though strangely Mick Foley seems to have avoided everything so far despite getting hit in the head more than anybody.

Well, with Mick's physique I'm pretty confident that he avoided the steroids. I'm sure that plays a substantial part in it.

Man, I haven't watched wrestling since the early 2000's but during the attitude era (basically my junior high years) I lived and breathed it. It was a truly magical time, having WWF and WCW trying to one-up each other. It's just too bad there isn't that kind of competition anymore.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

the difference was for all the abuse foley took he wasnt a jacked up roid rager. he had the body of a 8th grade math teacher

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I still miss stampede wrestling

sounds odd or crazy

But I even thou noth WWE(f) and stampede were from the same tree--once Stampede went away--I stopped watching--just got too silly

Reactions: RegDunlop

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
He lived till 60 as a former pro wrestler, that's about 90 years old for non wrestlers.

Last edited:

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
Great wrestler.

Extremely ****ty human being.

Totally agree. Loved what he could do in the ring. Hated everything I heard/ read about him outside of it.

For me, wrestling died when Benoit went off the deep end. That event jaded me on the whole business.

I was a huge Stampede fan, and would go see them whenever they were anywhere close to my hometown. I hated the tv telecasts. Can you not have a main event without a DQ/countout/interference finish?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Great wrestler.

Extremely ****ty human being.

sadly it is on going thing with modern wrestlers. I posted about stampede wrestling earlier and most of the guys I dealt with were great. But Dynamite and other guys circa 1985 were prats away from the ring and nasty to people for no reason

but some context is also needed

NHL players used to be more approachable then there are now--more players are nastier now then they were in the 70's and 80's

Last edited:

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
What was so bad about Brett? you don't really hear any nasty stories about him compared to his former peers.

He portrays himself as a humble individual but he's far far farrrrrrrrrrr from it. Also, he's not exactly an angel despite how he conducts himself in front of cameras
I believe of all the Hart foundation/dynasty, only Owen was the most down to earth "real" one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad