TSN: The Drouin Saga Part II - "How You Drouin?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Agree. The guy is going west big time. The Gm has no guts to let go talent for talent and Drouin cant grind.

I don't see want guts have to do with it... We don't has anyone which trade value would bring back Drouin... Their lot of team looking at Drouin, if he outbid these other team it mean that he will have paid way to much.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I think they're trying to save money to sign Stamkos though. Trading for Shattenkirk would basically seal his fate or leaving in my eyes. I could be wrong though. Shattenkirk is going to probably get close to 6 you would think.

Then you have RFA's:

Kutcherov
Brown
Namestikov
Nesterov

It will be tight if they do that, unless of course they don't plan on signing Stamkos (lol if true), then they're fine. However, with the lack of success this year it won't take long for that barn to empty out and it's not like they're a rich team to begin with.

I don't think they're going to re-sign Stamkos. They may as well book his flight ticket to Toronto now.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
I don't see want guts have to do with it... We don't has anyone which trade value would bring back Drouin... Their lot of team looking at Drouin, if he outbid these other team it mean that he will have paid way to much.

We have enough to pay for Drouin. If we want Drouin we can get him tomorrow... The only question is if the price tag is too steep. Or if they want him or not.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I don't think they're going to re-sign Stamkos. They may as well book his flight ticket to Toronto now.

If Stamkos wants to sign with a contender would you consider flipping 9.5-10.5 over 7 for him? He knows how good Price is, maybe he wants to play here instead. It would take a lot of maneuvering but it could be very interesting.

Get rid of Plekanec, Desharnais and Eller somehow, someway. Probably Emelin too. Roll with Stamkos 1C and Galchenyuk 2C. They'd still need winger help, but at least they'd be strong up the middle instead of weak on the wing and centre.

Pacioretty-Stamkos-Gallagher
Fleischmann-Galchenyuk-Andrighetto
De La Rose/Hudon-McCarron-Carr
Weise-Mitchell-Smith-Pelly
Flynn

Markov-Subban
Beaulieu-Petry
Tinordi-Pateryn
Gilbert

Price
Condon

Obviously there are tweaks to be made, and maybe some moves to shore up the 2nd line if possible. But that has a legitimate feel to it down the middle, don't you think?

Pipe dream, I know. But it is possible.

Side note: Imagine if they could get Drouin for Scherbak and a 1st, or something like that. Drop him on the 2nd line with Galchenyuk and move everyone else down a peg. Ugh, that would be dreamy.

Chez Weber

King of the North
Jun 27, 2011
Montreal
If Stamkos wants to sign with a contender would you consider flipping 9.5-10.5 over 7 for him? He knows how good Price is, maybe he wants to play here instead. It would take a lot of maneuvering but it could be very interesting.

Get rid of Plekanec, Desharnais and Eller somehow, someway. Probably Emelin too. Roll with Stamkos 1C and Galchenyuk 2C. They'd still need winger help, but at least they'd be strong up the middle instead of weak on the wing and centre.

Flynn

Markov-Subban
Beaulieu-Petry
Tinordi-Pateryn
Gilbert

Price
Condon

Obviously there are tweaks to be made, and maybe some moves to shore up the 2nd line if possible. But that has a legitimate feel to it down the middle, don't you think?

Side note: Imagine if they could get Drouin for Scherbak and a 1st, or something like that. Drop him on the 2nd line with Galchenyuk and move everyone else down a peg. Ugh, that would be dreamy.

7M is pushing it however, but for sure it happens that players sign for less to play on a good team like Gaborik who settled for 4.85M after productive playoffs for the Kings

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005

Flynn

Markov-Subban
Beaulieu-Petry
Tinordi-Pateryn
Gilbert

Price
Condon

My imagination doesn't encompass it. If TB trades Drouin in the near future it wouldn't be to a competitor, especially one it has faced twice in recent playoffs. Even less would TB want to see Stamkos in a Hab uniform.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
My imagination doesn't encompass it. If TB trades Drouin in the near future it wouldn't be to a competitor, especially one it has faced twice in recent playoffs

Either way, I hope they take a run at Stammer in the off-season. Offer him a big contract and convince him of the strength he will create down the middle for a club that is very close to getting there with Price in net and Subban on the back end.

It could be done! It would be amazing to roll out Stamkos-Galchenyuk down the middle instead of Plekanec-Desharnais. ****, I would cream myself.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Either way, I hope they take a run at Stammer in the off-season. Offer him a big contract and convince him of the strength he will create down the middle for a club that is very close to getting there with Price in net and Subban on the back end.

It could be done! It would be amazing to roll out Stamkos-Galchenyuk down the middle instead of Plekanec-Desharnais. ****, I would cream myself.

Stamkos might leave for reasons of his own but I think he would retain enough loyalty to his old team not to sign with the Habs.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Stamkos might leave for reasons of his own but I think he would retain enough loyalty to his old team not to sign with the Habs.

Meh. Komisarek signed with the Leafs for an extra 250k. You don't think he'd sign in Montreal for 10M/yr because they played a couple times in the playoffs? I doubt it would even come into the thought process.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
The DeMarcus Ware type of player who loved where he played so much he declined division rivals' offers to come over are rare. More common are the mercenaries and those who were "just ok", like DeMarco Murray, who went the rival Eagles. Stamkos is likely the latter, and he probably would like to "school" Cooper a thing or two about his effectiveness at center.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007

Unless there's something really rotten in TB why would Stamkos come to the Habs rather than stay with TB? They're at least as close as we are to the Cup.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Stamkos if and I repeat if he comes to Canada is going to one city and it's not here, I would not rule out TB either. Even as a rental at the deadline the price of getting him would be incredibly steep for us or any other team for fear that he might sign with us or any else for that matter.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

Flynn

Markov-Subban
Beaulieu-Petry
Tinordi-Pateryn
Gilbert

Price
Condon

I would do it but there's pretty much no chance Stamkos chooses us over Toronto. It's gotta be either Tampa or Toronto for him, maybe an outside chance for Detroit because it's still close to home, but I have no doubt Stamkos will sign with Toronto on July 1st at this point.

Yzerman not only has to find a deal for Drouin, but he has to decide if it's worth it to lose Stamkos for nothing or move him at the deadline.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
2goals in 1 AHL period is all you need to know. This kid is an NHL player.
Being good in the AHL doesn't mean you belong in the NHL. DD would be a star player in the AHL.

Jonathan Bernier is also good in the AHL.

That's not to say that Drouin is not good but this is not good evidence.

Maliki2

Mar 31, 2005
Saint Albans, VT
MB better not make a deal for Drouin if he sells the farm. He does that and his fate is good as sealed. The kid hasn't proven a thing. This stinks of Sekac all over, so much hype so little results.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
To summarize what you're saying.... To get the new Iphone 7, you're ready to give up: a iphone 6, an xbox one, a 40in flat screen and a brand new laptop. That seems right no?

Honestly a 1st and a prospect (not Hudon) is more than enough.

I'm not the one who made that proposal. However there is nothing in there that would stop me from pulling the trigger on a transaction that would have Drouin coming our way.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
MB better not make a deal for Drouin if he sells the farm. He does that and his fate is good as sealed. The kid hasn't proven a thing. This stinks of Sekac all over, so much hype so little results.

But what if it "stinks" of Kuznetsov (or better) for example? Does your opinion change?

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Being good in the AHL doesn't mean you belong in the NHL. DD would be a star player in the AHL.

Jonathan Bernier is also good in the AHL.

That's not to say that Drouin is not good but this is not good evidence.

It means what it means. same thing could be said about the stats posted by McCarron. Bottom line, if someone likes a player the stats will be brought up to support their point while if they don't the stats will be conveniently ignored.

I happen to like Drouin but think about it for a second though:

242 points in 128 games as a junior player! 5 points in 3 games so far in the AHL! 40 points in 89 games in the NHL. The guy is not even 21 yet! He's a highly touted prospect, it's not like he's coming out of nowhere!

We're struggling at generating offense. We need an offensive dynamo. Sure, we could always attempt a trade to get a proven one out there - a real offensive dynamo though, not Eric Staal. But be prepared to see Galchenyuk going the other way in exchange. Now is an opportunity to be clever and steal one at a fraction of the cost it would normally cost us for a player of this ilk. Plus as an additional bonus, you get to control his salary for the next what, 6 years?

I realize it's a transaction difficult to make but it can be done. Look at San Jose, do you think the LA Kings would have traded Martin Jones straight to their direct competitors? I don't think so. The Bruins became the middle man there. It's up to Bergevin to find his middle man and make this trade happen. THIS would have a high potential to make us an instant contender not only this year but for many years. Or we can keep being a good but not great team, still looking for our offensive dynamo, patiently waiting for our prospects to pan out and overachieve on their projected potential.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'm not the one who made that proposal. However there is nothing in there that would stop me from pulling the trigger on a transaction that would have Drouin coming our way.

I'm fairly certain your franco-pride may be clouding your judgement.
Don't think for a minute that Yzerman won't use that card against our organization.
We cannot afford to overpay for a Drouin and SY would certainly make sure we did to move him here.
I remember exactly how I felt when Tampa drafted this guy "we are going to learn to hate this ****."
So far it hasn't played out that way but it may yet...

I would honestly be surprised to see him moved at this juncture.
What western team has assets that would interest SY?
Who is willing to part with those assets for a player that is flitting in and out of the lineup on an under-performing Tampa Bay Lightning team?

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
Don't think for a minute that Yzerman won't use that card against our organization.
We cannot afford to overpay for a Drouin and SY would certainly make sure we did to move him here.
I remember exactly how I felt when Tampa drafted this guy "we are going to learn to hate this ****."

Who is willing to part with those assets for a player that is flitting in and out of the lineup on an under-performing Tampa Bay Lightning team?

The fact he is a local product makes him all the more attractive that's for sure. Of course this would be a nice bonus. I mostly like the player and the potential he would bring to our organization though. Just like Toronto would be interested in Stamkos primarily for what he can bring to their organization but the fact he is a hometown product also plays a role and is an extra incentive for them to try and get him.

CrewkHead

Oct 25, 2006

I wouldnt use yet this argument since he has been hurt for a good period of time. To me, there is a "Therrien syndrome" with cooper toward Drouin. He had some good performences a la Chucky but still didnt play that much. To me, if we are able to send a valuable package that doesnt completly desolve the actual team, I m willing to take the risk.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
7M is pushing it however, but for sure it happens that players sign for less to play on a good team like Gaborik who settled for 4.85M after productive playoffs for the Kings

7yrs...not 7m...lol

He gets 10.5m min.......I'm not sure he signs in Toronto, Montreal is a lot more attractive with his childhood buddy Subban on the team and His Team Canada buddy Price, you got yourself some good selling props but my sceptical senses tell me that it's just a pipe dream. Oh well, one could hope!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad