Player Discussion: The Drama of Mark Scheifele in Two Acts

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Tothy and company are dumping on him for his lacklustre defensive play, particularly on the last goal in OT. He said he needs to show more effort coming back to the defensive zone and actually attempting to play defense.

Reactions: surixon

thai jet

Aug 13, 2021
Winnipeg
Very, very tough to stay interested in the team while this entitled slacker wears the uniform. A couple months back Selfishele's skills trainer, Adam Oates, was on a podcast I listened to. He stated his number one focus was to teach his players how not to get hurt. A while back in an interview Selfishele said he wanted to play until he was forty. I think those two things combined have made him into a disengaged loser only in it for paychecks for as long as he can get them. It's sad because he is a hell of a player when he wants to be. Oates never won a cup and neither will his guy

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Very, very tough to stay interested in the team while this entitled slacker wears the uniform. A couple months back Selfisheles skills trainer, Adam Oates, was on a podcast I listened to. He stated his number one focus was to teach his players how not to get hurt. A while ack in an interview Selfishele said he wanted to play until he was forty. I think those two things combined have made him into a disengaged loser only in it for paychecks for as long as he can get them. It's sad because he is a hell of a player when he wants to be. Oates never won a cup and neither will his guy

Oates actually said that? I get its a career for these guys but all these stars are well compensated for the physical risks associated with this sport. I think Oates was th3 worst thing to happen to him. His game has changed for the worse since then. Maybe some teams were correct to ban him from their rinks.

thai jet

Aug 13, 2021
Winnipeg
Oates actually said that? I get its a career for these guys but all these stars are well compensated for the physical risks associated with this sport. I think Oates was th3 worst thing to happen to him. His game has changed for the worse since then. Maybe some teams were correct to ban him from their rinks.

Yes, it was on 32Thoughts podcast. Oates must be getting blowback because outside of Copp he wouldn't name any clients

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I think there is a power struggle going on right now between Scheifele and Wheeler vs Pierre Luc Dubois. I think Wheeler and Scheif feel very threatened by PLD's presence, and fear losing dominance and leadership in the team.

My prediction is -- PLD will win this power struggle, and One of, or both Wheeler and Scheifele will be gone.

No loss losing Wheeler -- he's going on 36, and we'd get someone good for Scheifele in return.

We would not have to worry if this happened as we'd have a youthful #1 and # 2 centers in PLD and Perfetti.

I'd like to see Scheifele gone if he doesn't change his attitude, and that won't happen if Wheeler's around. Get RID of Wheeler !!!

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I think there is a power struggle going on right now between Scheifele and Wheeler vs Pierre Luc Dubois. I think Wheeler and Scheif feel very threatened by PLD's presence, and fear losing dominance and leadership in the team.

My prediction is -- PLD will win this power struggle, and One of, or both Wheeler and Scheifele will be gone.

No loss losing Wheeler -- he's going on 36, and we'd get someone good for Scheifele in return.

We would not have to worry if this happened as we'd have a youthful #1 and # 2 centers in PLD and Perfetti.

I'd like to see Scheifele gone if he doesn't change his attitude, and that won't happen if Wheeler's around. Get RID of Wheeler !!!

Do you have something concrete to base this on or is this a creative writing exercise? :laugh:

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Do you have something concrete to base this on or is this a creative writing exercise? :laugh:

Mostly my take on reading the body language on the ice. When a team scores, often the players will embrace each other with enthusiasm. When Dubois scores and Scheifele is on the ice, he may go over to PLD and just touch gloves, with no emotion at all. I clearly see a disconnect there, and something is not right. Just my personal take. Just watch next time, and see what I mean. Problem could be with PLD as well, but someone has to get to the bottom of it.

Nothing really "concrete" though, but I'd say there definitely is something not right in the Jet's dressing room, and their not on the same page. I know your a Wheeler supporter, and would disagree, which is OK by me, but I'm not any player's supporter, but rather someone who looks at the team at large.

Reactions: rkp and sipowicz

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB

Last week my boss told me that his friend's son (who plays golf with PLD) told him that PLD said "the dressing room is a mess".

Yes this is hearsay but there are also warning signs all over for those who pay attention.
I pride myself of being someone who's good at reading body language. Leadership at worst is in shambles, at best has some serious challenges.

Heck even Wheeler himself said in an interview he struggled with his leadership abilities.

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Mostly my take on reading the body language on the ice. When a team scores, often the players will embrace each other with enthusiasm. When Dubois scores and Scheifele is on the ice, he may go over to PLD and just touch gloves, with no emotion at all. I clearly see a disconnect there, and something is not right. Just my personal take. Just watch next time, and see what I mean. Problem could be with PLD as well, but someone has to get to the bottom of it.

Nothing really "concrete" though, but I'd say there definitely is something not right in the Jet's dressing room, and their not on the same page. I know your a Wheeler supporter, and would disagree, which is OK by me, but I'm not any player's supporter, but rather someone who looks at the team at large.

Last week my boss told me that his friend's son (who plays golf with PLD) told him that PLD said "the dressing room is a mess".

Yes this is hearsay but there are also warning signs all over for those who pay attention.
I pride myself of being someone who's good at reading body language. Leadership at worst is in shambles, at best has some serious challenges.

Heck even Wheeler himself said in an interview he struggled with his leadership abilities.

I am not a Wheeler supporter, I am Jets supporter. It is difficult to take anything out of "body language" when you only see the players for 60 mins a couple of times a week. Even moreso with players like PLD Scheifele/Wheeler who are not even on the ice together except on the PP. If they are on the ice for 3 minutes a game on the PP, that is an awfully small amount of time to draw any "body language" based conclusions from.

The heard from heard from the son of my boss's buddy who plays golf with PLD is a 4th hand story. I am not sure how much credibility I put into it. Esp considering Winnipeg hasn't had the kind of weather to do any kind of golfing since November.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Very, very tough to stay interested in the team while this entitled slacker wears the uniform. A couple months back Selfishele's skills trainer, Adam Oates, was on a podcast I listened to. He stated his number one focus was to teach his players how not to get hurt. A while back in an interview Selfishele said he wanted to play until he was forty. I think those two things combined have made him into a disengaged loser only in it for paychecks for as long as he can get them. It's sad because he is a hell of a player when he wants to be. Oates never won a cup and neither will his guy

Teaching players how to avoid injuries is 101 for any sport. They teach you how to avoid getting hurt even when you start playing soccer in the 8th grade let alone professional hockey which is infinitely more riskier. I doubt that has any contribution in how well or poorly he plays. Your personal attacks on players are unbecoming.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I am not a Wheeler supporter, I am Jets supporter. It is difficult to take anything out of "body language" when you only see the players for 60 mins a couple of times a week. Even moreso with players like PLD Scheifele/Wheeler who are not even on the ice together except on the PP. If they are on the ice for 3 minutes a game on the PP, that is an awfully small amount of time to draw any "body language" based conclusions from.

The heard from heard from the son of my boss's buddy who plays golf with PLD is a 4th hand story. I am not sure how much credibility I put into it. Esp considering Winnipeg hasn't had the kind of weather to do any kind of golfing since November.

The PLD quote was from last summer. Wheeler was asked to speak postgame tonight and he did not want to. Not a good show for a suposed "leader".

Even the Illegal Curve guys weighed in. All 3 questioned his leadership and the leadership group in general. (45 minute mark)

Last edited:
Reactions: GNP

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

This sounds more like a telenovela than reality. There may be some disagreements between players and there may be some between PLD and Wheeler and Scheifele, but you're painting Wheeler and Scheifele as movie villains who are desperate to cling onto power above all else, which I think is nonsense, quite frankly.

I don't disagree there's some leadership issues apparent with this team right now but you're way over the top on your assessment of 26 and 55.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Whenever the Jets are playing bad everyone always knows a person who’s talked to a person who was told by a friend something bad about the team or player.

I'm only reporting what I'm hearing to my fellow board members. If you think I'm lying go ahead. If you think its bogus go ahead. I'm not saying it's true either. It's what I heard from someone who has alot of local business connections. . Me and my boss were talking about the Jets recent struggles and he revealed this to me. Thought my long tenure on this forum would get me some slack from my fellow board members. Guess not .

Last edited:

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
I'm only reporting what I'm hearing to my fellow board members. If you think I'm lying go ahead. If you think its bogus go ahead. I'm not saying it's true either. It's what I heard. Me and my boss were talking about the Jets recent struggles and he revealed this to me. Thought my long tenure on this forum would get me some slack from my fellow board members. Guess not .
I’m not singling you out, back in 18-19? When everyone somehow knew Lowry’s girlfriend that Scheifele banged.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
I’m not singling you out, back in 18-19? When everyone somehow knew Lowry’s girlfriend that Scheifele banged.

Keep in mind, this is a pretty small city we live in…

The Scheifele/Lowry girlfriend dispute was a real thing…the daughter of a fella I play hockey with is one of the girl’s best friends. Certainly the details get bent out of shape a bit as info gets passed on, but there certainly was some legitimacy to this.

I’m sure there are others here on this board who have other tidbits they know about the behind the scenes Jets goings on from reliable sources, but just choose not to pass them on for varying reasons.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The PLD quote was from last summer. Wheeler was asked to speak postgame tonight and he did not want to. Not a good show for a suposed "leader".

Even the Illegal Curve guys weighed in. All 3 questioned his leadership and the leadership group in general. (45 minute mark)

Starting at 45 minutes is pretty much as expected. They call out Scheifele for his trash defense which is fair since he doesn’t put in the proper effort as a team leader. Points don’t matter if you give up more than you get. They also call out Blake for not answering the bell on an interview although that point is a bit more murky. I think the segment is warranted though in the sense that this was suppose to be in a contending window based on spending to the cap and using further assets to win now. The team loses the last 4 in a row and the captain is a no show the last 3 post game interviews? As they said when you wear the C and are the highest paid player it comes with the job.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011

Put up some proof or STFU!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad