The Draft Position Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The thing that really kills me is thinking of all those years after Drury/Briere left where we'd miss the playoffs or go home after round 1...and how much we would have killed for the 8th pick.

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
A better (and perhaps a guaranteed) shot at a top LHD/W will mean more to the franchise than a couple of forgotten wins in a dead cat bounce stretch. I am thrilled with the win tonight, but let's not kid ourselves that this is meaningful in the long term. This game will be forgotten after the season ends.

God knows I am ready to win and I am not actively rooting for losses. However, after years of this mess, I'm willing to suffer a little bit more this season if it means another core piece of our choosing filling a roster weakness. Sure, a better spot doesn't guarantee anything, but TM/KD having the chance and, perhaps a CHOICE between a Finn/Dubois/Tkachuk/LHD, as opposed to taking what falls through the crack are entirely different. They are different and matter, potentially quite a bit.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I just want to be in the top 7 at this point. Please no further than that?!

I've given up on Edmonton. Calgary, Arizona, Vancouver, Columbus...these are the teams that we really need to win now.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Vancouver won't even score another goal let alone win. They've made their choice.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Jesus Edmonton. They are 2 points ahead of Toronto in the standings....with 4 games in hand. Looks like the last few wins might cost Toronto a stranglehold on last they've had for awhile. I wonder how soon till Nylander is returned to the Marlies for the rest of the season :laugh:

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I just want to be in the top 7 at this point. Please no further than that?!

I've given up on Edmonton. Calgary, Arizona, Vancouver, Columbus...these are the teams that we really need to win now.

I don't see the big difference between 6 and 8 at this point. I'll take the points and growth of the team.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I don't see the big difference between 6 and 8 at this point. I'll take the points and growth of the team.

True, there is really not much of a difference between 6 and 8, but like Murray said, it's always better to have the power of choice. Also, I said nothing about wanting Buffalo to lose (I'm rooting for wins). I just want those other teams in our point cluster to win to help us get the better pick.

I have guys I like who might be a reach if we fall past 7 - I don't necessarily think #7 is more valuable, I just like certain players more than others in that tier.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
This was a topic on WGR a few weeks ago, but it pretty much laughed at the people that thought meaningless wins at the end of a year has anything to do for growth/morality for the future. A team like Columbus was on fire at the end of last year and started this year like 0-10. Watching a guy like Larsson turn it on at the end of year AGAIN, does nothing for me and scares me this team will keep him in their future based on him producing now. This is what the guy does. He sucks for the first 60 games and then scores a couple when the season is already over.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
This was a topic on WGR a few weeks ago, but it pretty much laughed at the people that thought meaningless wins at the end of a year has anything to do for growth/morality for the future. A team like Columbus was on fire at the end of last year and started this year like 0-10. Watching a guy like Larsson turn it on at the end of year AGAIN, does nothing for me and scares me this team will keep him in their future based on him producing now. This is what the guy does. He sucks for the first 60 games and then scores a couple when the season is already over.

A nice winning end-of-season might not carry over to next season, or mean anything in terms of development, but it has proven to do wonders for the mental health of us fans going into the offseason :)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Which is a funny shift from where they were when they advocated for the team to win at the tail end of the season and "build momentum", etc... which was their battle cry all the time before the last two years (and even in those years).

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

You have an interesting definition of someone sucking.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

The growth of the team has been pretty steady since the half way point. We were 15-22-4 at 41 games.

We'll likely finish the season between 3-5 games under .500.

Thats 41 games of .500 + hockey. To me, that's a big improvement. Eichel, Reinhart, and Risto all grew this season. As for Larsson, I'd be more inclined to give him a pass as this is the first time he's had steady linemates and a defined role with the Sabres. We have clearly defined needs to address this offseason and the resources to go get those players.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

Maybe not. I dunno. I just really want Juolevi or Chyrchrun, and think we have a lot better chance at one of them at 6 than we do at 8.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

There have been numerous examples in all sports of teams finishing strong carry over to the next year.

Chicago in mid February 07/08 was 23-24-5 and finished 40-34-8 or a 17-10-3 over their last 30. 08/09 advanced to conference finals.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

This is really the first season which he has had a consistent role/spot in the lineup. Byslma seems to have some trust in the guy. With the coach's trust, and confidence in a role on the team, it should make camp that much better and more relaxed for him. Consistency on what is asked of him will make it easier for him to play the game.

A nice winning end-of-season might not carry over to next season, or mean anything in terms of development, but it has proven to do wonders for the mental health of us fans going into the offseason :)

Have you seen what some posters put on the boards in the summer? :laugh:;)

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
Chychrun is closer to Ekblad in development, Juolevi is closer to Maatta, if we're using comparables.

Chychrun on a third pairing is the right development for him. Joulevi should go back to London.

Carolina is doing really well in breaking Hanifin in IMO.

Tonight is a big scoreboard watching night with the Sabres being the only team currently in the bottom 9 that is off.

Vancouver is sneakily tanking big time. They will draft #1 or #2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad