The Draft Position Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
If the Sabres end up picking 7-10, which seems likely now, do we try to move the pick at the draft for an established player or an NHL ready prospect? For myself, if you can't grab one of those great impact prospect, I'd rather move the pick. Get me a solid 3/4 defensemen and a mid round pick.

SoFFacet

Jan 4, 2010
Rochester, NY
If the Sabres end up picking 7-10, which seems likely now, do we try to move the pick at the draft for an established player or an NHL ready prospect? For myself, if you can't grab one of those great impact prospect, I'd rather move the pick. Get me a solid 3/4 defensemen and a mid round pick.

Chychrun, Nylander, Laine, Sergachyov, Matthews, Dubois, Tkachuk, Puljujarvi, Juolevi = 9 fine players. Highly unlikely we slip below that. Order deliberately scrambled because that's not the point.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I think the issue was he trade 21 for Lehner and 25 for Kane/Bogo, and 31 for ROR,

so TM has is Eichel and reinhart to show for it so far in his drafting. though hee did acquire Fasching and Carrier

He also, by definition, acquired Lehner, Kane/Bogo and ROR. It's not like he threw the picks away.

It it's wanting to know about how he is as a scout...it's what got him the job in the first place. Any discussion of his use of picks has to include acquiring those players. That's how he used the currency.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
This team is so frickin stupid. We are absolute crap but pull out these "gutsy" wins. My god, they are so annoying. Just lose this crap. Can't wait to draft 9th with so many damn holes still.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
This team is so frickin stupid. We are absolute crap but pull out these "gutsy" wins. My god, they are so annoying. Just lose this crap. Can't wait to draft 9th with so many damn holes still.

The only major holes are on LD.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Imagine watching the young core guys like Reinhart, ROR, Kane and Larsson make that comeback for the win late on the road and being upset?

Just...I mean...

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I don't understand people saying "useless win". Good teams learn to come back when they are down and it's a sign of progression that we don't give up when down like last year. We weren't going to go from last place to a playoff spot in a single year. If we finish 10th last (moving up 10 spots in the standings) in a year, I will be happy as a pig in ****. Seriously do people think we need to finish last every year and then just magically be a cup contender one year?

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I don't understand people saying "useless win". Good teams learn to come back when they are down and it's a sign of progression that we don't give up when down like last year. We weren't going to go from last place to a playoff spot in a single year. If we finish 10th last (moving up 10 spots in the standings) in a year, I will be happy as a pig in ****. Seriously do people think we need to finish last every year and then just magically be a cup contender one year?

Wins coming because our young guns show up are always worth it. We need those guys to keep developing, and that's going to mean wins, but as long as they are developing it will mean far more in the long term than the difference between getting Dubois or Nylander or whatever it ends up being.

If Colaiacovo or Moulson stole a win for us, then yes, it would be useless (though it would also be hilarious).

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
I don't understand people saying "useless win". Good teams learn to come back when they are down and it's a sign of progression that we don't give up when down like last year. We weren't going to go from last place to a playoff spot. If we finish 10th last (moving up 10 spots in the standings) in a year, I will be happy as a pig in ****. Seriously do people think we need to finish last every year and then just magically be a cup contender one year?

My thoughts exactly. Especially with the damn lottery for the top 3 picks. Whats the point of tanking?

We've lost enough, we have Rein and Eichs to show for it. Time to win some games. We'll still end up picking up a solid prospect in the draft.

These guys need to learn how to win.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Although I do agree we need to fix the LHD badly or else **** it. But look at the mishmash of rankings between picks 4-10 and tell me it's really important to guarantee thi or that place in the standings. We'll either get lucky or we won't. No deliberate tank plan gets you anything particularly outstanding this year.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Although I do agree we need to fix the LHD badly or else **** it. But look at the mishmash of rankings between picks 4-10 and tell me it's really important to guarantee thi or that place in the standings. We'll either get lucky or we won't. No deliberate tank plan gets you anything particularly outstanding this year.

I'm glad someone else noticed this. Lately the Tkachuk-Dubois-Nylander-Chychrun-Juolevi grouping has been flopping all over. And that's with some more dynamic type players like Sergachev and Keller that I think could rise. It's a total crap shoot. Murray himself said after 3 there was a little drop. Everything from 4-10 or 12 seems to be in constant flux depending on what people are after. And D usually will drop first. No worries here. They'll either get their LHD or walk out with a forward that can make a difference whether they pick 5, 8, or 10. It's not a crop worth getting worked up over since the top 3 are all luck anyway. Same level of talent unless we win the lotto.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
My thoughts exactly. Especially with the damn lottery for the top 3 picks. Whats the point of tanking?

We've lost enough, we have Rein and Eichs to show for it. Time to win some games. We'll still end up picking up a solid prospect in the draft.

These guys need to learn how to win.

There is already talent in this team. They need belief, confidence and success not the 3rd pick in the draft. What have all those top 3 picks done for Edmonton? These are not pointless wins! These wins might mean little in terms of this season but Jack, Samson and co. are gaining confidence. That will be more valuable down the road!

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I don't believe in momentum...especially that carries over seasons...but I do believe in the difference between those kids walking in next year thinking "well...if this goes our way and if that happens" and thinking "we can win". And those beliefs are forged in games like today.

Also we just picked up the top guys on this team. we are looking for the players to compliment them. It takes all types to make a team. Just losing to draft another most talented possible guy isn't how you build a team.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I'll root for all the other bottom-feeders to win (and lots of 3 point games when they play each other) to help our draft position, but at this point, the long term development of our young guys HAS to trump tanking. We are seeing guys like Eichel and Reinhart grow up right in front of us, and that makes the wins worth it.

Slangston

Buffalo Sabres
Apr 3, 2003
Western New York
Chychrun, Nylander, Laine, Sergachyov, Matthews, Dubois, Tkachuk, Puljujarvi, Juolevi = 9 fine players. Highly unlikely we slip below that. Order deliberately scrambled because that's not the point.

I'd add Keller to make it 10. I have a feeling he'll emerge as one of the best players in this draft a couple of years down the road.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I'd add Keller to make it 10. I have a feeling he'll emerge as one of the best players in this draft a couple of years down the road.

I couldn't agree more. He's a hell of a player who I think might go higher than people have him. I actually like him more than Nylander.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
I see the difference between 4 and 10 as fairly small anyways. We either get

A) A top-6 winger (Dubois, Keller, Tkachuk, Nylander)
or
B) A top-4 LHD (Chychrun, Juolevi, Sergachev)

Any of those players could become the best of the bunch. Personally, I'd actually RATHER have like 8 than 4 in some weird way because I'm afraid we might take Tkachuk at 4 when guys I prefer (ie. Keller) might be or choice at 8-10...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad