The Draft Position Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
For the record, don't disagree with what anybody is saying. I just don't see anyway we're close to a playoff team with goaltending issues. Johnson is a not a starting goalie for six weeks or 10 weeks. Not even close. Lehner, you didn't know.

Go Ullmark. We need a real goalie -- it can change everything.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
No tank with Eichel and Reinhart on the team. Cheer for wins, knowing that the team is young and will lose their share. Embrace the growing pains.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
I'm always for tanking when I don't think the playoffs are realistic, which I think you have to wait until at least December to determine at all.

But, I don't know how you tank with this team. ~40% of this team is your long-term core, you can't just bench them, and the other older guys left have virtually no value.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Yeah, the draft this year is stacked and the top 3 are all via a lottery. There is no need to tank this season. I start cheering for losses when this team is mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. We are averaging 1.87 goals per game which is absolutely pathetic with the roster we have. I don't think this continues and we get some puck luck sooner rather than later. But injuries can certainly make the tank go south quickly. Kane, Bogo, Lehner, etc...We also need to get some better goaltending.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
**** changes fast in hockey. This team has looked better than expected in terms of possession and chances. They're really not as far away from competitive as the record indicates.

There's going to be some stretch in a month or two where it starts connecting fast. There's going to be some point where a lot of determination and hard work suddenly starts making converting their chances feel easy and they pop off 5 wins in a row. Maybe they'll still be within 5 games of .500 when that finally comes. But this team has got both talent and work ethic right now, something that hasn't been true since 2006 or so, and those two things are going to jive sooner or later.

Look at it this way: if someone had told you that the NHL's worst possession team in the history of the stats would come out and outshoot their opponents in SIX of the first EIGHT games, you'd say damn, that's a big swing. There's a lot of momentum here just waiting to make contact.

Ghills23

Young Guns
Aug 12, 2006
Buffalo
I can not root for this team to lose any longer. We tanked for Eichel/McDavid. I can't vehemnetly root against the Sabres until Eichel retires. If our season ends up with us in 10th place in the east (which it will likely be) so be it. We are building for the future we shouldn't risk our teams development for another tank. If we win one of the three lottery spots, great. We can draft Matthews, Chychrun, Puljujarvi or trade down and grab Tkachuk.

I'm not worried about this team. I'm just enjoying the inevitable ride to the top.

30Yonge

Jan 24, 2014
Chicago, LA and Tampa finished with 71, 79 and 80 after their two lost seasons.
If the team plays well and the young guys have solid seasons, I have no problem with finishing 25-28th.

Prospector74

Jul 5, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
No tank this year and that will not change. It's a lottery for all 3 top spots anyway. I am looking for our guys to develop and cheering for a win every game.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
the tanking is over....We just need to let the players develop, and add a few more players over the next couple of years....

We are done cleaning house...Most of the "new core" is already in place....

Foligno17

SabresFan since 1971
Jul 2, 2011
Grand Fenwick (NC)
Look at it this way: if someone had told you that the NHL's worst possession team in the history of the stats would come out and outshoot their opponents in SIX of the first EIGHT games, you'd say damn, that's a big swing. There's a lot of momentum here just waiting to make contact.

The whole post was spot on.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Buffalo entered tonight with a Corsi% of 52%. There were 7 games last season total when they were over 50%. Courtesy @war_on_ice. (Stolen via Twitter)

This is a strong indicator alone that they're improving in slow strides. You cannot expect miraculous change in one fell swoop.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Buffalo entered tonight with a Corsi% of 52%. There were 7 games last season total when they were over 50%. Courtesy @war_on_ice. (Stolen via Twitter)

This is a strong indicator alone that they're improving in slow strides. You cannot expect miraculous change in one fell swoop.
Not with poor goalie play and a top defenceman out.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Tanking in the way Murray did last year isn't even possible this season. At the trade deadline we will look to move our UFAs for assets. That will happen if we are bottom 5, bottom 10 or bottom 15.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Tanking in the way Murray did last year isn't even possible this season. At the trade deadline we will look to move our UFAs for assets. That will happen if we are bottom 5, bottom 10 or bottom 15.

The main thing Murray can do is not get a goalie which he's doing. He's not intentionally tanking for sure - but it's having the effect of making us a bottom five team. I get his reasoning, no sense trading talent this year.

Bonlarvis

Feb 4, 2015
Hamburg NY
Sadly it looks as though this years tank will be unintentional.

I really hope Kane can develop his scoring touch and doesnt become Uber-Afinoganov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad