The Draft and Rogers from a fed up fan

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
The Leafs suck because Leafs management have done an overall terrible job for a decade.

All these external factors like blaming the league, blaming the media, etc. Is just avoiding the main issue. Leafs management, Leafs scouting, etc.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
The OP is spot on, and more people need to say it.

This fan base and franchise is nothing but a leg for the league to stand on, and a dog to kick when necessary. I'm sick of it as well.

You have to criticize the fans (there's no choice), too, since they are part of the problem. There's too many loyal fans who cheer for this joke of a franchise even when the writing is on the wall. The ownership now has the same attitude as the previous. Except, they're a much larger corporation that is using more marketing and hype to promote their brand. The Leafs needed to rebuild and they didn't. They needed to do a major overhaul to ensure they fell sufficiently in the standings but they didn't. They still had their core. The Sabres traded both their starting goalies and some star players. Both their starting goalies!!!

The Leafs did little. They lucked out on a couple of trades but for the most part, did little. Now, they'll finish with subpar odds as they look to finish 4th or 5th last. That probably won't be enough for McDavid.

I said they would finish poorly and so did a lot of other fans - at the start of the season, this was predicted. But, management didn't have the insight to foresee what they are paid to do. There is speculation that Nonis is staying on as GM. This organization doesn't care that it's running an inept system since they know no matter what, the fans will be there. They just want the turnaround as quick as possible so there's no real rebuild, no overhaul. It's not being planned as a five-year rebuilding project. Nope. The fans are the fools because they don't seem to realize what is going on. But, the OP has some sense of it. The Leafs franchise takes the fans for granted and assume the support will be there. But, there is no logical path to building the team. The Sabres, at least, are an organization that is willing to overhaul their team and be horrible in the short-term so that they have a good chance at securing the top players in junior.

The Leafs are content with doing the minimum so that they can turn the team into a playoff team in a short period of time. But, they'll never be genuine contenders. Like always. But, fans will line up to pay them $$.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rufio65*

The scary thing is that our 2 highest ranking front office executives are incompetent. Shanahan has shown nothing but incompetence since he has taken over, and Nonis who has proven himself to be a failure as GM is still here.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Management and ownership are clearly responsible for this mess.

Part of the problem was that the team had no real functioning president for years. It's a critical role as an executive mediator between management and ownership and this was neglected. So management went on making long term decisions in a vacuum handing out bad contracts and trading quality assets for heartless players with the goal of squeaking into the playoffs and extending their own employment.

Shanahan, Dubas, Hunter plus the first round picks at least gives the leafs a chance to rebuild with a superior philosophy.

Their initial acquisitions in Santorelli and Winnik netted decent returns. Nylander, Brown, Johnson, Shoshnikov, Valiev, Loov and Leipsic look like decent prospects. Morgan Rielly will be as good as Duncan Keith in a couple of years. It's a start on the road to respectability.

The team still needs to trade Kessel and Phaneuf for futures and hire a decent coach but it looks like this time they're actually committed to a complete and proper rebuild which should have happened 10 years ago after Sundin departed.

There are no fast tracks to success in the salary cap system.

The rest of the league recognized this early on but it took the leafs organization years to figure it out.

Last edited:

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Although I agree, it saddens me that so many people poor their lives into a team that is founded on a business. This is sport. What happens when the leafs win the cup? We continue on with our lives. We raise our kids, go to work, love our wives and the world goes on. I'm a die hard, but don't take it personally when the players on the ice aren't physically capable to win. We the fans are the fools. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, thrice, and so on shame on me. Why are we blaming the team when we are the ones still paying the bills?

EN4CER

Burn the Boats
Apr 8, 2013
Toronto
Mapes hit the nail on the head.

The Maple Leafs ownership and management is to blame for this mess. Think about it. NonisMustGo was talking about the 1993 playoffs with having players with heart and skill. Those 1990's teams happened because Steve Stavro let hockey personnel make the decisions. Someone like Cliff Fletcher was able to make many deals without major interference from ownership.

This is why Detroit did well with Mike Ilitch letting Ken Holland make the decision on deals, and why Chicago did well after Bill Wirtz passed away and his son Rocky took over letting Dale Tallon/Stan Bowman make decisions on hockey operations.

What have the Leafs ownership done over the last twenty years? Always having General Managers told to make the team competitive instantly each year throwing away first and second round draft picks for quick fixes. In the salary cap era this is a recipe for disaster, and why the Leafs are in this situation.

John Ferguson Jr. trades Rask for Raycroft to make a quick fix, then you have the first round pick traded for Vesa Toskala. Two first round picks and a second for Phil Kessel? I mean really, did Brian Burke not see who the goaltender was on the team and the other players at the time the trade was made? A second round pick for a few months of Dave Bolland? See the pattern and the problem here?

It has been obvious all along the mandate to Ferguson, Burke, and Nonis has been to make the team competitive right away by trading away the future. If the team has no future then of course it will be spinning its wheels for decades because there is no support in the from the draft to put the salt on the road to make the vehicle (team) move forward.

The League is not responsible to fix the lottery to give an incompetent ownership group a coveted first overall player for their decade of mismanagement. Rogers made the deal hoping the sacred cash cow can make them billions of dollars without having to do anything.

They are now learning that fans have a breaking point and will have to revise their strategy to actually do what all the other 29 NHL teams have been doing in the salary cap era for the most part and start drafting their future stars along with their support players.

McDavid alone will not help the Leafs, they will need those second round drafted players like Bergeron, Saad, etc. to help the roster fill out for contention. It will take smart drafting and developing to get this team out of this mess.

Reading all that was depressing and all so true. We are such a ****ed up franchise. If there is s mistake to be made, you can be sure the Leafs will make it. I just really hope we get McDavid and start fresh with this team.

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
What proof is there that they are trying to rebuild the team? No fan here has shown any. They kept their main core.... Bozak got a hat trick and the Leafs win a game - which hurt their chances of getting a better (well, worse in the standings) shot at the top draft pick. Yes, maybe they will get a Marner or Strome which is still good but the #1 overall lets them choose either of those plus McDavid.

There was all this talk of tanking but I don't see it. I see it with Buffalo. Phoenix was accused of it, too. Edmonton made trades but they're already lousy. The Leafs kept most of their core compared to these teams. They were beating teams like Tampa and others - would that happen if they cleaned house? Probably not.

Why would you keep a GM on this long if you are planning to use new personnel to draft/trade/build etc.? Imho, Shanahan is just a figurehead for the PR dept. and for the fans/media to concentrate on. He's mostly invisible and the moves have been minor for the most part.

The Leafs still have a horrible record/rep for developing their talent. The last poll had the Leafs as one of the bottom (i.e. least preferred) teams to be traded to. Few players want to play for this franchise. They're inept although they're known to overpay and hand out nice no-trade/movement clauses but it's not enough to convince players to be interested in playing there. The media is only bad when they are not winning. But, with the media so connected to Sportsnet and other Rogers-companies, it's not going to be that bad. Leafs columnists still want access so they'll sugarcoat their criticism. The Leafs ownership know they can rely on the fans and the revenue/profits are highest of all the teams. There's no incentive to change or improve anything.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
What proof is there that they are trying to rebuild the team? No fan here has shown any. They kept their main core.... Bozak got a hat trick and the Leafs win a game - which hurt their chances of getting a better (well, worse in the standings) shot at the top draft pick. Yes, maybe they will get a Marner or Strome which is still good but the #1 overall lets them choose either of those plus McDavid.

There was all this talk of tanking but I don't see it. I see it with Buffalo. Phoenix was accused of it, too. Edmonton made trades but they're already lousy. The Leafs kept most of their core compared to these teams. They were beating teams like Tampa and others - would that happen if they cleaned house? Probably not.

Why would you keep a GM on this long if you are planning to use new personnel to draft/trade/build etc.? Imho, Shanahan is just a figurehead for the PR dept. and for the fans/media to concentrate on. He's mostly invisible and the moves have been minor for the most part.

The Leafs still have a horrible record/rep for developing their talent. The last poll had the Leafs as one of the bottom (i.e. least preferred) teams to be traded to. Few players want to play for this franchise. They're inept although they're known to overpay and hand out nice no-trade/movement clauses but it's not enough to convince players to be interested in playing there. The media is only bad when they are not winning. But, with the media so connected to Sportsnet and other Rogers-companies, it's not going to be that bad. Leafs columnists still want access so they'll sugarcoat their criticism. The Leafs ownership know they can rely on the fans and the revenue/profits are highest of all the teams. There's no incentive to change or improve anything.

Trust me there's incentive to improve. Nobody wants to be humiliated as the league doormat. The tv ratings are way down and there's been plenty of criticism of the organization.

They tried to trade Phaneuf to Detroit at the deadline and will move kessel before July 1st free agency. Those huge contracts are more difficult to move but there's a limited market.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Usual nonsense from fans who dont seem to grasp that in a league with 30 teams, there are 30 organizations who also want to win. Nobody is going to lay down and just let us start winning.

Every person who has been in charge of this organization since Ballard has wanted to win. It BENEFITS the Leafs organization to win. They make more money when they win. The whole thing about one non sold old game will lead to this sudden change is absurd. There is an element of the fan base that I believe thinks Leafs Ownership wants to lose, and if suddenly there are 100 seats left unsold, they will turn the management switch in the basement of the ACC from incompetent to competent.

The problem isnt incompetence. Most of the guys who ran the Leafs from a Hockey Ops perspective in the last 10 years are still in the league. So obviously they are not incompetent boobs. They just made moves that didn't work out. In a league with 30 teams, that happens all the time. It happens by people who are thought to be competent one year, and suddenly are incompetent the next (or vice versa).

Whats the difference between the perception of the Bruins front office and the Canucks front office? Most would say the Bruins are far superior. Yet in reality the difference from the Canucks having a Stanley Cup banner from this decade in their rafters and not Boston was one terrible game played by the players.

Whats the difference between the Pens and the Oilers? The Oilers had the unfortunate luck of being dreadful when there were no game changers available. The Pens had two game changers, and a quality goalie made available to them. That just comes down to good luck vs bad luck.

The current regime has the right idea, if the plan is to start from scratch. But say we bottom out next year. Say we end up with Strome this year, and get Matthews next year. Is that combination Toews and Kane or is it RNH and Yakupov? If its the latter, and we go nowhere in the next 10 years, does that mean Shanny is a boob? Or does it mean the Leafs Ownership purposely wanted to lose?

Its a tough business to get right. Nobody really knows the right path to get it right. But no ownership group is looking to lose...well, except maybe the Sabres this year.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Although I agree, it saddens me that so many people poor their lives into a team that is founded on a business. This is sport. What happens when the leafs win the cup?

The best ****ing parties Toronto's ever seen, that's what.

I remember even back in 93 on that playoff run, random strangers would high five eachother in the street. Don't discount the impact a winning Leafs team would have on the city's morale in general. That's a lot of happy people.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Boring.

"I've been a Leafs fan a very long time and I am very upset that they aren't good!".

What a revelation. :rolleyes:

HamiltonFan

bettman's a Weasel
May 4, 2009
Excellent post by the op, but I've said it before, the last place McDavid ends up (if the league does in fact fix the lottery) is Toronto. The nhl is far more interested in propping up bettmans pet southern teams than they are in seeing more profit come out of the Toronto market. If they were truly interested in more profit from the Toronto region, they would have placed a 2nd franchise here decades ago. The league is leaving 10's of millions of dollars in profit on the table every year by vetoing a 2nd franchise in this area.

If you look at the 4 major sports (we'll generously consider that the grossly mismanaged bush league nhl as a top 4 league for the purposes of this discussion), and the largest markets in those sports, no city gets a worse overall deal than Toronto does in the nhl. They are the financial powerhouse, but they get no benefit for being so like in the other leagues.

Let's look at baseball first. There is a nominal luxury tax, but effectively the rich teams can spend what they want, and use their financial status as an actual advantage. The large market teams are generally at the top of the standings. Not only that, but the large markets also have multiple franchises to choose from, allowing at least somewhat of a small check on ticket prices, such that the average fan can buy season tickets.

Basketball is similar to baseball, but to a lesser extent as the luxury tax is more punitive than MLB. Large markets such as the Lakers are still able to flex their financial muscle, and spend as much as they want on salaries. Also, the presence of multiple franchises in the large markets allows fans to be able to afford season tickets to teams like the Clippers and Nets.

NFL has the most equitable revenue sharing system such that the New York franchises are less able than other leagues to use their financial muscle. LA not having any teams is a unique issue about public funding for a stadium. The NFL does allow multiple teams in it's largest market such that fans can still afford season tickets. When LA gets the stadium issue solved, there will undoubtedly be 2 teams there like there has been in the past.

How about the nhl? Hard salary cap does not allow rich markets to use their financial power. The nhl does indeed allow multiple franchises in large markets, but only if the large market is in the USA. The nhl is absolutely fanatical about not allowing a second team here. Toronto is by far the largest and richest hockey market in the world, bigger than both NY and LA COMBINED (by number of hockey fans), but the nhl actively spends money and resources to keep the 2nd team out of Toronto. The result for the fans in this region is the worse deal in pro sports. Because of the monopoly the Leafs are allowed to maintain, the region is grossly underserviced. I'm not even sure if some people realize it, but to get season tickets for the Leafs, you first have to pay approximately $100,000 for a pair of seat licenses, which only gives you the right to buy the tickets. You still have to pay for the overpriced tickets on top of the $100,000. How is the average fan, or even somebody who makes over $100,000 per year salary, supposed to be able to afford that? This is by far the worse situation in professional sports in the world. The richest market in the nhl has to send a hefty portion of its profits to teams down south who are then able to spend as much as the Leafs in salary and thereby able to compete on equal footing to the Leafs on the ice. Add in the active refusal to put a 2nd team here (which would make tickets more affordable), and the Toronto region, as far as the nhl goes, gets the worse deal of any city in any sports league on the planet.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I have been a long time fan and I have finally come to my wits end. Several months ago I stopped watching this team altogether. It wasn't necessarily this unlikable roster, but more to do with a decade of failure and the growing resentment I have had not only for management, but of the NHL as a whole. .

I think the likeability factor or lack there of this roster is an issue plaguing this team, affecting the ratings and playing a factor in how the media reports on them.

I think a hard working team that give 110% effort every night even when they lose is still a team fans enjoy supporting through think and thin. This team has players giving 10% even to the point their own coach is calling it the don't-give-a-crap meter being at an all time low.

The 1980's teams were not very good but Wendel Clark hitting, fighting, scoring and doing everything in his power to win. I think Shanny is going to bring in new players with a strong compete meter and it will rub off on the other players to increase their own intensity.

Durkin67

I think the likeability factor or lack there of this roster is an issue plaguing this team, affecting the ratings and playing a factor in how the media reports on them.

I think a hard working team that give 110% effort every night even when they lose is still a team fans enjoy supporting through think and thin. This team has players giving 10% even to the point their own coach is calling it the don't-give-a-crap meter being at an all time low.

The 1980's teams were not very good but Wendel Clark hitting, fighting, scoring and doing everything in his power to win. I think Shanny is going to bring in new players with a strong compete meter and it will rub off on the other players to increase their own intensity.

hope so, Mess...

I can't stomach watching a team that can't even show up and compete, I don't care how skilled they are. I'd rather watch AHL hockey at this point.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
It always had to come to this.

The fans had to stop watching and paying. The team was used to support non viable teams while paying top $$ to watch a gutted team.Over the years we have simply thrown away S.Niedermayer,Courtnall,Luongo,Rask,Steen,Couture,Seguin,Hamilton but the fans kept paying.As long as Toronto made $$ they were content to be the laughing stock of the league.And now after what, 47 years ? It is finally ending and a new era is beginning, no Leaf fans to support the non viable teams. They may have lost fans for years and that wont be good for the NHL.

Do you ever think some of it was intentional instead of just sheer stupidity?

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
The fans had to stop watching and paying. The team was used to support non viable teams while paying top $$ to watch a gutted team.Over the years we have simply thrown away S.Niedermayer,Courtnall,Luongo,Rask,Steen,Couture,Seguin,Hamilton but the fans kept paying.As long as Toronto made $$ they were content to be the laughing stock of the league.And now after what, 47 years ? It is finally ending and a new era is beginning, no Leaf fans to support the non viable teams. They may have lost fans for years and that wont be good for the NHL.

Do you ever think some of it was intentional instead of just sheer stupidity?
I agree. That just shows fans like 'Cy Nick' just don't get it. They don't need to win. They make a profit that is highest in the League, regardless of how they do on the ice.

The point is, they won't do a rebuild or overhaul that would result in missing the playoffs four or five years in a row. They won't have this patience. They don't believe in this system since they think they can win after a quick fix. This has always been the philosophy of the Maple Leafs. They're selfish and greedy and this organization doesn't want to assure themselves of being out of the playoffs for consecutive years. They prefer any GM who will constantly make moves, whether that is trading away the 1st, signing UFAs or whatever it takes, to get them to climb the standings enough to get into the playoffs. However, with the changes in the League, it's a lot more difficult to use UFAs and $$ to achieve the quick fix. But, there's still no overhaul. They are not rebuilding. It's more of a retool than that.

Most fans don't get it. They just get frustrated but they don't understand.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I'm trying not to laugh too hard.

You're angry at more than a decade of losing and lousy management.

And your suggested solution?

The league should fix the draft lottery and "reward" all that failure.

How is that going to fix anything? And, wouldn't that must be a reward for all that losing and crappy management?

The best lesson this organization can learn is this: there are no shortcuts to success. It's hard work. It takes commitment. It takes a plan. It means sticking by your blueprint even when the fans and the media are howling after the first three-game losing streak.

If you really want things to change, you don't look to the league to fix your problems. You quit watching, quit buying the merchandise, quit talking about the team, etc, etc, etc.

jcfogerty

Aug 21, 2014
I have been a long time fan and I have finally come to my wits end. Several months ago I stopped watching this team altogether. It wasn't necessarily this unlikable roster, but more to do with a decade of failure and the growing resentment I have had not only for management, but of the NHL as a whole.

I am 31 years old, I have watched this team since I was 5. I remember immediately the terrible goaltending tandem of Peter Ing and Allen Bester. I remember the hype behind some obscure Russian prospect whose calling card came when he was shipped to Calgary in part of the Gilmour trade. I remember my father telling me what the Leafs meant to him, even as a teenager who barely spoke English. In that 1993 series against Detroit, it was my dad who told me to hold out hope late in the 3rd period, and sure enough it was the most satisfying victory I have ever experienced as a Leaf fan.

In the last 30 years this franchise has had some good to great players. Never a team talented enough to go all the way. Pat Quinn, God bless his soul, got more out of a roster than any other coach we had in the past. Who could have imagined a team with a defense tandem of Lumme and Berg could make it to the Conference Final? It wasn't necessarily the quality of the roster, but the team cohesion and great goaltending that led to some near successes.

The last decade has been a complete embarrassment for this organization. Sadly, they were not punished financially until late this season. The value of the Leafs has grown significantly since the lock-out of 2004-2005. In that time-frame we, the Leaf fan base, have had to witness franchises win Cups with superstar players we could only dream of having. After the more recent lock-out I have started paying attention to how the league works, and after reading more about revenue sharing Leaf fans should be outraged. The blatant hypocrisy displayed by the owners and the NHL is a slap in the face, and furthermore, the players are becoming entitled. I do not blame the players, they need to benefit from their dealings with the owners, after all, they are ultimately the product and any one of us would take a sweetheart deal; however, it just isn't tasteful anymore.

As teams like Tampa transitioned from Lecavalier, Richards, and St. Louis to Hedman and Stamkos, I have watched the Leafs ice teams that included the likes of John Pohl, Andy Wozniewski, JS Aubin, Bates Battaglia, Andrew Raycroft, Vesa Toskala, Jason Blake, and who knows how many other plugs have had the honour of skating on the ACC ice surface. This current crop of players is just a collection of misfits and brats. Besides a handful of players, the management needs to totally revamp their roster. Hopefully, the next group of players appreciate where they play and leave their blood, sweat and tears on the ice. This city deserves it.

My ultimate point is, for too long Leaf fans have been propping up the NHL and its terrible business decisions. Canadian fans as a whole deserve better. Many of these players are born and raised in our cities and are educated in our schools, while playing in rinks paid for by tax payer money. Admiring them from a far while watching our own wretched team has become too taxing. If on draft day, Rogers is not 'rewarded' for acquiring the television rights for a bush league professional sports league while also owning one of the biggest hockey franchises in Canada I am officially out. The mismanagement of this league borders on asinine.

I'm with you brother.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Fans are at a breaking point...

And the ripples will be felt around the NHL they just don't see it yet.A trend which took 4 decades to build, won't be turned around so easily.The Leaf fans have been abused and used by the NHL for too long, it is now payback time.I think I watched one full game all year and wont be watching the playoffs, why bother? Cdn teams aren't allowed to win anyway. Once the fans turn their backs on the Leafs, non viable American teams will fall one by one even if they are hand gifted McDavid.

King Leaf

Jan 2, 2015
Toronto
I can understand the frustration from the fans, I'm frustrated too. But I don't want to get any handouts from the NHL, I want US to win, with good management, good coaching, good players. I'm now sensing that if we do win, everyone is going to at the lottery is rigged, and I honestly hope that's not the case. I don't want McDavid or wins to come through cheating, because then it's not really a win. My life doesn't depend on a Leaf win, so if they win I want it to be earned. Them winning or losing doesn't impact me or my ego in anyways. I just love the game and I love Toronto.

I also don't understand why people complain about Toronto supporting the weaker teams in the league. So what, it's not your money. If it makes the league more competitive and gets more people watching hockey, I'm all for it. I know Canadians are the country that are most associated with hockey, but I definitely don't want it to be like that forever, I want it to get as big as basketball in the US. It's just better entertainment for everyone, and the more people that can enjoy it, the better cause it is seriously the best sport in the world.

I also don't think that MLSE doesn't care about the fans and only cares about profits. Any company would rather have goodwill from their customers than just making money. They've made mistakes, but so have the fans. I don't think it serves anyone to linger in the past, let's just focus on doing things the right way, and hopefully MLSE follows suit.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
I can understand the frustration from the fans, I'm frustrated too. But I don't want to get any handouts from the NHL, I want US to win, with good management, good coaching, good players. I'm now sensing that if we do win, everyone is going to at the lottery is rigged, and I honestly hope that's not the case. I don't want McDavid or wins to come through cheating, because then it's not really a win. My life doesn't depend on a Leaf win, so if they win I want it to be earned. Them winning or losing doesn't impact me or my ego in anyways. I just love the game and I love Toronto.

I also don't understand why people complain about Toronto supporting the weaker teams in the league. So what, it's not your money. If it makes the league more competitive and gets more people watching hockey, I'm all for it. I know Canadians are the country that are most associated with hockey, but I definitely don't want it to be like that forever, I want it to get as big as basketball in the US. It's just better entertainment for everyone, and the more people that can enjoy it, the better cause it is seriously the best sport in the world.

I also don't think that MLSE doesn't care about the fans and only cares about profits. Any company would rather have goodwill from their customers than just making money. They've made mistakes, but so have the fans. I don't think it serves anyone to linger in the past, let's just focus on doing things the right way, and hopefully MLSE follows suit.

wow. idk what to say about this post but:
1) idc how we win, as long as we win
2) didn't realize everyone in pittsburgh hates that they won the lottery to get crosby, they probably all hate hockey knowing that they were gift wrapped a winner :sarcasm:
3) MLSE cares more about making a profit than it does about fans, they tried to make it seem like they were doing the fans a favour by not raising the ticket prices... like comon
4) The fans pay for the tickets, they pay for the television stations to watch the games, ultimatley its our dollars that are going towards helping teams like Arizona and Florida.

i know what your saying, but i 100% disagree

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
And the ripples will be felt around the NHL they just don't see it yet.A trend which took 4 decades to build, won't be turned around so easily.The Leaf fans have been abused and used by the NHL for too long, it is now payback time.I think I watched one full game all year and wont be watching the playoffs, why bother? Cdn teams aren't allowed to win anyway. Once the fans turn their backs on the Leafs, non viable American teams will fall one by one even if they are hand gifted McDavid.

I would wait until a few weeks into next season before declaring a revolution. The Leafs are such a habit and big part of Toronto culture that the average fan is not going to take all this failure as personally as some of our friends here do. Most will say " We'll get em next year " and go on with their lives.

King Leaf

Jan 2, 2015
Toronto
wow. idk what to say about this post but:
1) idc how we win, as long as we win
2) didn't realize everyone in pittsburgh hates that they won the lottery to get crosby, they probably all hate hockey knowing that they were gift wrapped a winner :sarcasm:
3) MLSE cares more about making a profit than it does about fans, they tried to make it seem like they were doing the fans a favour by not raising the ticket prices... like comon
4) The fans pay for the tickets, they pay for the television stations to watch the games, ultimatley its our dollars that are going towards helping teams like Arizona and Florida.

i know what your saying, but i 100% disagree

I don't entirely disagree with you on a lot of what you said actually, just a couple of the finer points. Everything is mostly your opinion which is fine, we're obviously different people so our stances on rigging and what not will be coloured by who we are. I don't believe that Pittsburgh was gift wrapped a winner, which is why I don't think anyone in Pittsburgh cares. I think they just got lucky. Again, with McDavid, we'll never know, but I'll never advocate for us to be handed McDavid, I just pray to the hockey gods that it happens. If there was a scandal that came out a year later with proof that the lottery was rigged in the Leafs favour I probabaly wouldn't be a huge fan to be honest, it would taint every win. But I also have a second team to support so I may not be as diehard as others.

I also fundamentally disagree with you on the last point, you've made the decision to spend the money and the money isn't yours anymore. If MLSE chooses to hep grow the game insteadif pocketing it for themselves, that's their prerogative, not mine, because again, I gave them the money, and they gave me some entertainment. That's about as far as my involvement with the money goes.

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
What does the league have to do with the awful management of this team for the past 3 decades?

They arent here to babysit us. When we win a Cup I dont want it to be because the league "rewarded" us with unfair advantages. I want it to be because we were the best through proper development, talent, and management.

This leauge is far from mismanaged; its stronger then ever. Whats mismanaged is the Leafs. Thats not Bettman's fault. Indeed interference on his part in giving us a "reward" would be more bush league then anything in your post.

The league's only here to take the $$ via revenue sharing to keep teams alive on life support. But then again, it's not like the fans would ever see their $$ back if the NHL wasn't taking it, so I guess it doesn't really matter where it goes.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
so because the teams been run like crap the league owes us a generational talent ?

how about we suck it up for a few years and draft and develop like the other successful teams and stop believing their some miraculous short cut to building a legit contender

had Burke not decided to do a quickie retool we'd be on the upswing right now and not staring at gutting the team and doing a proper rebuild that should have been started years ago
The league owes us nothing.Only our ownership and management is to blame.I feel the OP's pain and agree with him 100% except expecting the league to reward us for something we don't deserve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad