The Draft and Rogers from a fed up fan

NonisMustGo*

I have been a long time fan and I have finally come to my wits end. Several months ago I stopped watching this team altogether. It wasn't necessarily this unlikable roster, but more to do with a decade of failure and the growing resentment I have had not only for management, but of the NHL as a whole.

I am 31 years old, I have watched this team since I was 5. I remember immediately the terrible goaltending tandem of Peter Ing and Allen Bester. I remember the hype behind some obscure Russian prospect whose calling card came when he was shipped to Calgary in part of the Gilmour trade. I remember my father telling me what the Leafs meant to him, even as a teenager who barely spoke English. In that 1993 series against Detroit, it was my dad who told me to hold out hope late in the 3rd period, and sure enough it was the most satisfying victory I have ever experienced as a Leaf fan.

In the last 30 years this franchise has had some good to great players. Never a team talented enough to go all the way. Pat Quinn, God bless his soul, got more out of a roster than any other coach we had in the past. Who could have imagined a team with a defense tandem of Lumme and Berg could make it to the Conference Final? It wasn't necessarily the quality of the roster, but the team cohesion and great goaltending that led to some near successes.

The last decade has been a complete embarrassment for this organization. Sadly, they were not punished financially until late this season. The value of the Leafs has grown significantly since the lock-out of 2004-2005. In that time-frame we, the Leaf fan base, have had to witness franchises win Cups with superstar players we could only dream of having. After the more recent lock-out I have started paying attention to how the league works, and after reading more about revenue sharing Leaf fans should be outraged. The blatant hypocrisy displayed by the owners and the NHL is a slap in the face, and furthermore, the players are becoming entitled. I do not blame the players, they need to benefit from their dealings with the owners, after all, they are ultimately the product and any one of us would take a sweetheart deal; however, it just isn't tasteful anymore.

As teams like Tampa transitioned from Lecavalier, Richards, and St. Louis to Hedman and Stamkos, I have watched the Leafs ice teams that included the likes of John Pohl, Andy Wozniewski, JS Aubin, Bates Battaglia, Andrew Raycroft, Vesa Toskala, Jason Blake, and who knows how many other plugs have had the honour of skating on the ACC ice surface. This current crop of players is just a collection of misfits and brats. Besides a handful of players, the management needs to totally revamp their roster. Hopefully, the next group of players appreciate where they play and leave their blood, sweat and tears on the ice. This city deserves it.

My ultimate point is, for too long Leaf fans have been propping up the NHL and its terrible business decisions. Canadian fans as a whole deserve better. Many of these players are born and raised in our cities and are educated in our schools, while playing in rinks paid for by tax payer money. Admiring them from a far while watching our own wretched team has become too taxing. If on draft day, Rogers is not 'rewarded' for acquiring the television rights for a bush league professional sports league while also owning one of the biggest hockey franchises in Canada I am officially out. The mismanagement of this league borders on asinine.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Sometimes you need luck, and get players in the right years. In this league, you have to build through the draft, you're not going get top end players unless you draft them. I think they're going about it the right way now, and rogers seem willing to go that route; something MLSE was always reluctant to do.

At this point, I'm far beyond fed up, I am completely apathetic about this team. I just don't really care anymore.

Rayzorexe

Meh..
Dec 29, 2009
Toronto, ON
Its common knowledge that in order for teams to transition from an older roster to a younger one, you need to fill in those gaps with players you draft. Luck has to be a part of it in the players you choose and not all the time it works well. Like in Florida for example, they went a full decade without playoffs or good success until this year were most of their young guys they've been drafting are starting to show promise.

As for the Leafs, its been misreading the current roster, bad trades, signings, and pure bad luck with the draft or giving up on prospects too early.

Even if we don't get McDavid, I still hope for a guy like Strome or Marner pans out like they're projected when this team finally decided they're going to do this the right way.

iBELEAF

May 30, 2011
Vancouver
i_hug_that_feel.png

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
The OP is spot on, and more people need to say it.

This fan base and franchise is nothing but a leg for the league to stand on, and a dog to kick when necessary. I'm sick of it as well.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA

This fan base and franchise is nothing but a leg for the league to stand on, and a dog to kick when necessary. I'm sick of it as well.

What we need is a Canada only league.We support the whole NHL anyway.Without the American teams we could probably run the league with a higher salary cap and get all the good players.
Instead of original six we could have the Canadian 7.and add in a quebec city or second TO team to even out the east and west to 4 teams each.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

so because the teams been run like crap the league owes us a generational talent ?

how about we suck it up for a few years and draft and develop like the other successful teams and stop believing their some miraculous short cut to building a legit contender

had Burke not decided to do a quickie retool we'd be on the upswing right now and not staring at gutting the team and doing a proper rebuild that should have been started years ago

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
What does the league have to do with the awful management of this team for the past 3 decades?

They arent here to babysit us. When we win a Cup I dont want it to be because the league "rewarded" us with unfair advantages. I want it to be because we were the best through proper development, talent, and management.

This leauge is far from mismanaged; its stronger then ever. Whats mismanaged is the Leafs. Thats not Bettman's fault. Indeed interference on his part in giving us a "reward" would be more bush league then anything in your post.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
What does the league have to do with the awful management of this team for the past 3 decades?

They arent here to babysit us. When we win a Cup I dont want it to be because the league "rewarded" us with unfair advantages. I want it to be because we were the best through proper development, talent, and management.

This leauge is far from mismanaged; its stronger then ever. Whats mismanaged is the Leafs. Thats not Bettman's fault. Indeed interference on his part in giving us a "reward" would be more bush league then anything in your post.

Not only that but I read only 7 of the past 30 first overalls have a ring. It's what you do with the other picks too. Rewarding us for failure isn't what I hope. You don't win cups like that anyways. People point to the Chicago model but that team was insanely deep and a lot of that also had to do with picks after the first round. A lot of Pens success was due to first overalls or top 2 but they got 2 generational superstars.

You'll never win with bad management. You need the right guys in charge. Detroit was a trainwreck for how long before turning it around? I was actually quite happy hearing we got pulled from HNIC and had a game not sold out. If you want change, that's how you send a message.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Man, and I thought it was tough being a Sharks fan for over a decade.

Take into consideration the teams that the Leafs have put on the ice over the past decade and you will truly question how they were able to sell out every game.

The OP is bang on. I'm not sure what can be done except for blaming the management. The fans have been patient enough, have traveled to cities all over North America, and continue to hope for the best.

I don't think that the NHL should gift wrap anything for the Leafs, but the league has to realize that a rebuild is the best thing for the franchise and shouldn't expect them to carry the revenue for all of the smaller markets that can withstand going decades to build their own on the backs of the Leafs.

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
You'll never win with bad management. You need the right guys in charge. Detroit was a trainwreck for how long before turning it around? I was actually quite happy hearing we got pulled from HNIC and had a game not sold out. If you want change, that's how you send a message.

Mapes hit the nail on the head.

The Maple Leafs ownership and management is to blame for this mess. Think about it. NonisMustGo was talking about the 1993 playoffs with having players with heart and skill. Those 1990's teams happened because Steve Stavro let hockey personnel make the decisions. Someone like Cliff Fletcher was able to make many deals without major interference from ownership.

This is why Detroit did well with Mike Ilitch letting Ken Holland make the decision on deals, and why Chicago did well after Bill Wirtz passed away and his son Rocky took over letting Dale Tallon/Stan Bowman make decisions on hockey operations.

What have the Leafs ownership done over the last twenty years? Always having General Managers told to make the team competitive instantly each year throwing away first and second round draft picks for quick fixes. In the salary cap era this is a recipe for disaster, and why the Leafs are in this situation.

John Ferguson Jr. trades Rask for Raycroft to make a quick fix, then you have the first round pick traded for Vesa Toskala. Two first round picks and a second for Phil Kessel? I mean really, did Brian Burke not see who the goaltender was on the team and the other players at the time the trade was made? A second round pick for a few months of Dave Bolland? See the pattern and the problem here?

It has been obvious all along the mandate to Ferguson, Burke, and Nonis has been to make the team competitive right away by trading away the future. If the team has no future then of course it will be spinning its wheels for decades because there is no support in the from the draft to put the salt on the road to make the vehicle (team) move forward.

The League is not responsible to fix the lottery to give an incompetent ownership group a coveted first overall player for their decade of mismanagement. Rogers made the deal hoping the sacred cash cow can make them billions of dollars without having to do anything.

They are now learning that fans have a breaking point and will have to revise their strategy to actually do what all the other 29 NHL teams have been doing in the salary cap era for the most part and start drafting their future stars along with their support players.

McDavid alone will not help the Leafs, they will need those second round drafted players like Bergeron, Saad, etc. to help the roster fill out for contention. It will take smart drafting and developing to get this team out of this mess.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
When pits won the cup did people say "wow thank u NHL for giving us crosby?" because the way some people sound in this thread they should have........

I agree OP, boycott the leafs

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I applaud those who still care enough to rant. I've cheered this team for 35 years - rarely missing a game. I always wondered what it would take to make me lose interest. I have my answer.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
toronto is my home

leafs are toronto's team

nuff said

if u disagree then why do u wonder why there mostly leaf fans in the acc...

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
For Christ sakes be happy they are stinking it up. The higher the pick the better, I hope they play like this for the next 2-3 years.... All the pressure is on the scouting staff atm, they need to bring home the star player/players who will lead us back to respectability.

Also getting rid of JVR, Kessel, and Dion would help the rebuild... Jake Gardiner also guy is so passionless its sickening.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
So your investment in the team relies on whether the NHL fixes the draft lottery or not? Consider yourself already gone because it isn't going to be fixed.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
So, are you saying the organization just needs to do a much better job, or that the draft should be tilted somehow so we end up with McJesus?

Or, is it just general venting (which is OK)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad