The Devils Prime Cup Contending Years are Now

Marv4Life

Mar 5, 2006
Minnesota
Never again (in this era of the Devils) will we enjoy the cap flexibility we have had the last few seasons once we pay Hischier and Hughes. Short term contracts to maximize the roster now are therefore in order (see: Gusev, Simmonds). (I'm not entirely sure extending Hall is even in our best interest, given this.)
In that case Hall needs to be traded before preseason. Can't have that question mark lingering around the season when we already have a few(goaltending, D, coaching).

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
It’s not impossible, but I think this year is still an evaluation and growing year. Guys need to get their feet wet. We still need to see where some guys are at.

An exciting growing year as it should end with playoffs and maybe even some fireworks with a series win or two.

The following two years is where you start to really think about taking a real swing at it. That’s when maybe you start to push big chips into trade deals like a 1st to maybe get a more win now D or forward depending on what holes exist at that point.

You want to maintain some flexibility this year in case things go wrong so it’s easy to push the eject button and retool worst case.

This issue is this year is the year we have Hall. We may not in the future - and we may not even want to in the future, given the contract he can (and should) get. That makes this year special.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I don't know, Gomez, Madden, Rafalski, and White and all that. Could just as easily be this year. This is also the year we have Simmonds.

But those guys were second fiddle for the most part..they weren't relied on to be the *it" guys...our youth today is all we have... Madden wasn't asked to what Holik was doing, Gomez wasn't asked to do what Arnott was doing, Rafalski wasn't asked to do what Niedermayer was doing and White wasn't asked to do what Daneyko was doing...those rookies in 2000 were the second wave of talent today we are not completely sure if we even have a 1st wave of talent.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
But those guys were second fiddle for the most part..they weren't relied on to be the *it" guys...our youth today is all we have... Madden wasn't asked to what Holik was doing, Gomez was asked to what Arnott was doing, Rafalski wasn't asked to what Niedermayer was doing and White wasn't asked to do what Daneyko was doing...those rookies in 2000 were the second wave of talent today we are not completely sure if we even have a 1st wave of talent.

It doesn't matter. In today's NHL you sink or swim with your young talent in a way that largely was not true in the 90s or 00s. Whether they are ready or not, we need them to be ready because we won't win a cup without ELC players making huge contributions.

Reactions: Khione and mdj12784

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
But those guys were second fiddle for the most part..they weren't relied on to be the *it" guys...our youth today is all we have... Madden wasn't asked to what Holik was doing, Gomez wasn't asked to do what Arnott was doing, Rafalski wasn't asked to do what Niedermayer was doing and White wasn't asked to do what Daneyko was doing...those rookies in 2000 were the second wave of talent today we are not completely sure if we even have a 1st wave of talent.
you don't think Hall Subban Zajac Coleman etc are a solid 1st wave of talent?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
The two question marks are too big right now for us to be contenders. Defense and Goaltending.

That said, if the Blues can win the Cup, no reason we can't.
Question marks are not necessarily weakness.

They could be. Or they may not be. I see that especially with goal tending. If Schneids and Blackwood can play like they did down the stretch, I think we are good there. Defense on the other hand, for all the talent I just don't see a guy who I would be comfortable with entering the playoffs on top pair lhd.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
I don’t think there is a good comparison in the Devils history to this group. The 2000 team had youth, but that spine of the team (consisting of 3 arguably top-30 all time players) was in place and had won a cup and had 3 consecutive first place finishes heading into that season.

I think the comparison is a poor mans Pittsburgh when Malkin and Crosby entered or Chicago when Kane and Toews entered.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

Gomez was a 70 point 2nd fiddle? No one is asking Hughes or Smith to carry the team. All I'm saying is that to be contenders this year, we'll need rookie contributions, the 2000 team got rookie contributions.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Hall and Subban yes. Zajac and Coleman? If we are talking about making a run? No.
I love Dano, but was he a big time player in 2000? He played a role for sure, but was he more of an impact player then Zajac?

I threw Coleman in there cause I know he's a fave of Jim's.:D

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Gomez was a 70 point 2nd fiddle? No one is asking Hughes or Smith to carry the team. All I'm saying is that to be contenders this year, we'll need rookie contributions, the 2000 team got rookie contributions.
Ya, I mean Arnott had 56 points that season, Holik 46. I know they brought other elements, but again, so does Zajac.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Question marks are not necessarily weakness.

They could be. Or they may not be. I see that especially with goal tending. If Schneids and Blackwood can play like they did down the stretch, I think we are good there. Defense on the other hand, for all the talent I just don't see a guy who I would be comfortable with entering the playoffs on top pair lhd.

Very true, but they are big enough to hold off on pushing any more chips into the pile as of right now when it comes to a run.

If we dangle our 1st+ I think we can get a guy to play on that left side, but I want to see some other guys perform first before doing that.

Reactions: Classic Devil

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I love Dano, but was he a big time player in 2000? He played a role for sure, but was he more of an impact player then Zajac?

I threw Coleman in there cause I know he's a fave of Jim's.:D
In 2000 Steven and Daneyko were tagged with the task of going up against Lindros and LeClair.

Edit: Nevermind that was 95 lol... I am old I'm sorry.

Reactions: Khione and mdj12784

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Very true, but they are big enough to hold off on pushing any more chips into the pile as of right now when it comes to a run.

If we dangle our 1st+ I think we can get a guy to play on that left side, but I want to see some other guys perform first before doing that.
Ya, and the question mark that is the goal tending is the only thing holding me back from saying "yes, I would trade the 2020 1st for a top pair lhd" because as we saw last year, goal tending can ruin a season.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I also fully expect Hall to be here beyond this season, and I believe we are still flexible enough in our current ELC window with his potential new contract with guys like Greene and Simmonds coming off the books for next year and the year after to still be a potential run.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Ya, and the question mark that is the goal tending is the only thing holding me back from saying "yes, I would trade the 2020 1st for a top pair lhd" because as we saw last year, goal tending can ruin a season.

Why I am content to sit tight for this season and see how guys look. Reevaluate at the deadline and next off season.

If the forwards are performing as they should and the goaltending looks solid, then take a swing for the fences and do a win now D trade.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
People don't understand that are defense should inevitably get better even not factoring in Subban in his own zone because our offense as a whole has improved drastically between getting Hall back, Hughes, Subban and Gusev. There is now potential for this team offensively to be creative and possession led. Having good offensive players that can keep the puck away from other teams will limit the number of times our defenders need to make plays.

That being said, the defense and potentially goaltending still needs an upgrade. I truly don't know if we have enough on the left-side. I would seriously consider moving Vatanen unless they're confident enough in his ability to play LHD.

I will say. There's a really valuable LHD by virtually every metric, that drives play, and has been a key component of winning teams the last several years that's available in FA.....

But for the time being, the expectations should be high. This is a playoff roster IMO. Easily playoffs or bust. 95 points seems like a reasonable expectation at this point (I don't know if it will take as many points to get into the East as it did last year). Hynes' leash must be fairly short

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
People don't understand that are defense should inevitably get better even not factoring in Subban in his own zone because our offense as a whole has improved drastically between getting Hall back, Hughes, Subban and Gusev. There is now potential for this team offensively to be creative and possession led. Having good offensive players that can keep the puck away from other teams will limit the number of times our defenders need to make plays.

That being said, the defense and potentially goaltending still needs an upgrade. I truly don't know if we have enough on the left-side. I would seriously consider moving Vatanen unless they're confident enough in his ability to play LHD.

I will say. There's a really valuable LHD by virtually every metric, that drives play, and has been a key component of winning teams the last several years that's available in FA.....

But for the time being, the expectations should be high. This is a playoff roster IMO. Easily playoffs or bust. 95 points seems like a reasonable expectation at this point (I don't know if it will take as many points to get into the East as it did last year). Hynes' leash must be fairly short

Yes but I would not sign Gardiner for more than at most 2 years.

Reactions: Smitty426

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Why I am content to sit tight for this season and see how guys look. Reevaluate at the deadline and next off season.

If the forwards are performing as they should and the goaltending looks solid, then take a swing for the fences and do a win now D trade.
Any D- trade imo would have longer term implications then just one year, but I'm still a little wary of a season just spiraling out of control if Schneid's gets hurt. Would hate to have that happen then give away a top 10 pick.

So yeah, make sure we look solid then try to make that move. And heck maybe Smith exceeds all expectations and shows right off the bat he can man a top pair(along side a solid partner of course).

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
Yes but I would not sign Gardiner for more than at most 2 years.

Yes the back really concerns me so I agree with this. But man if we got the Gardiner of the last 2-3 years and put him on this team, I'd be willing to go as far as saying this has the potential to be a top 6-8 team talent wise as soon as next year

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Any D- trade imo would have longer term implications then just one year, but I'm still a little wary of a season just spiraling out of control if Schneid's gets hurt. Would hate to have that happen then give away a top 10 pick.

So yeah, make sure we look solid then try to make that move. And heck maybe Smith exceeds all expectations and shows right off the bat he can man a top pair(along side a solid partner of course).

Well good news for Smith is we have plenty of solid options on the right side for a partner.

I don’t think it’s out of the question Butcher continues to solidify himself as a good LD option as well.

Jets012

Oct 19, 2015
IDK when Butcher is going to start getting the love he deserves.

Last Year:
upload_2019-7-29_19-51-53.png

His Career Numbers:

upload_2019-7-29_19-51-22.png

I understand the skating is a negative. But the kid is 24. Brings a lot of offense to the table. Good on the power play. We DESPERATELY need him on the Left Side. I see no reason why he can't be a top 4 defenseman on the left side for us for years. His numbers don't dip when the usage/competition increases either.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
The analogies to previous Devils teams have to go - it's just not the same league anymore. There's a salary cap - all of the Cup teams now are probably worse than the Cup teams of the past.

That said, I agree that the Devils' best chance is probably the next two years after this one.

Reactions: Classic Devil

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Butcher doesn't get the love because he wasn't drafted by the Devils. If people had been following a 5th round pick who became a Hobey Baker winner they wouldn't be so eager to toss him aside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad