The Devils Prime Cup Contending Years are Now

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Before the criticism - this doesn't mean that I think the Devils are cup contenders right now, because as things stand we're not. There are too many questionmarks throughout the lineup - how will the unproven forwards perform? How will the defense progress? Will we get goaltending this year?

Rather, I think our fanbase has been under the impression that the Devils are looking to create something special a few years from now, and I think this is now the wrong perspective. The Devils are in an ideal state to make a run at the cup in the next 3 years (namely, the 3 years of Hughes' ELC), and after those three years have passed I think our window is likely to shrink.

There are three reasons for this:

(1) Upcoming RFA / UFA contracts. Between Hischier, Hall (if he stays), Hughes, Palmieri, Gusev, and Coleman we have a bunch of players who are going to (potentially) be in line for raises in the next few years. It is not outside the realm of possibility for us to end up as bogged down with big contracts as the Oilers are right now inside of a 2 year window, which means the team's #1 advantage - namely cap space - is likely to evaporate. Once that happens it becomes much more difficult for the team to add big name players. When Hughes comes up for a contract I think we can assume he's going to be demanding a minimum of $12M/year (if he's not, we've got other problems), potentially significantly more depending on the nature of the league's salary structure. Never again (in this era of the Devils) will we enjoy the cap flexibility we have had the last few seasons once we pay Hischier and Hughes. Short term contracts to maximize the roster now are therefore in order (see: Gusev, Simmonds). (I'm not entirely sure extending Hall is even in our best interest, given this.)

(2) Upcoming player departures: this team now has a lot of important players who will be hitting UFA in the next few years. Subban, Hall, Gusev, Palmieri, Coleman, Zajac (admittedly probably aging out of the team anyway) will all have their contracts up. Now this is not necessarily all bad - this means we'll have salary flexibility to at least address problem (1), and our prospect pool is good enough that we should be able to replace at least the forwards from within - but there are going to be some big holes that this team needs to fill that may not be so easy to fill. This compounds with (3).

(3) Assets. The Devils have now taken what was a huge asset they collected during the rebuild during shrewd trades - namely their cupboard of draft picks - and used or sold them all and then some. The Gusev trade is probably the last of the top-6 winger for a 2nd and 3rd round pick in the offseason trade Shero's going to be able to pull off, because we no longer have much in the way of those 2nd and 3rd round picks. This means in a few years we may well find ourselves lacking the assets to pull off a Subban trade or a Gusev trade or a Palmieri trade. We're not going to be in a position to sell off players at the deadline for picks, the way we sold Stempniak (all praise be to Shero). This means our overall roster acquisition flexibility declines over time, and 3 years from now we may find ourselves in a position of having to choose between Lou-style treading water or another minor rebuild.

(Of course, we can address this concern by good prospect development. If Boqvist, Smith, Talvitie, Studenic, and Okhotyuk all pan out we'll be fine. It's hard to assume this will be the case, however.)

What this all means is that we're not building for tomorrow anymore. We're all in. Hughes' ELC, what's left of Hischier's ELC, and Hall's contract means that we should be aiming for competing for the Stanley Cup not "in a few years", but right now, and I think the management agrees with me given the moves we've made. This offseason marks a transformation from rebuilding team to aspiring competitor, and our mindset should change to reflect that.

Last edited:

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
The Devils are absolutely going for it while Hughes and Hischier are cheap. Its an exciting time for the franchise. Ray has absolutely made all the right moves. If the goaltending pans out we could be contenders as early as this year.

Reactions: deflowd

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Assuming they can get Hall extended it is playoffs this year and shoot for the cup after that.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
If we get good goalie play we are a without a doubt playoff team.

We'd be a dangerous playoff team too.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Still think the D needs a lot of work. I think we have a very good group of forwards...good enough to win now but the defense and the coaching staff are the two biggest obstacles this team faces right now in my opinion.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Still think the D needs a lot of work. I think we have a very good group of forwards...good enough to win now but the defense and the coaching staff are the two biggest obstacles this team faces right now in my opinion.
I agree... we may need to fire Ftorek and hire Robinson or fire Constantine and hire Burns. And the defense, goaltending, and forwards all have clear issues. But that's not really my point: whatever the problems we have, the team's current composition, salary structure, roster flexibility, and asset list are in prime condition right now and (depending on prospect turnout) are likely (IMO) to decline over time, not to improve. Now is the moment, and now is the time to swing for the fences.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba

I agree with this. I think the D will be better than last season with Smith and Subban being injected into the lineup. My big question is whether or not there's enough "shut-down" potential among Smith, Subban, Greene, Severson, Butcher, Vatanen. My initial thought is no but you can't deny the transition game is going to be through the roof. I would love to have a big, stay at home thumper somewhere in that D corps.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I agree with this. I think the D will be better than last season with Smith and Subban being injected into the lineup. My big question is whether or not there's enough "shut-down" potential among Smith, Subban, Greene, Severson, Butcher, Vatanen. My initial thought is no but you can't deny the transition game is going to be through the roof. I would love to have a big, stay at home thumper somewhere in that D corps.
A prime Anton Volchenkov would be great.

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
A prime Anton Volchenkov would be great.

Or how about the current version of this guy...

download.jpg

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
The two question marks are too big right now for us to be contenders. Defense and Goaltending.

That said, if the Blues can win the Cup, no reason we can't.

Reactions: Darkauron

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I agree... we may need to fire Ftorek and hire Robinson or fire Constantine and hire Burns. And the defense, goaltending, and forwards all have clear issues. But that's not really my point: whatever the problems we have, the team's current composition, salary structure, roster flexibility, and asset list are in prime condition right now and (depending on prospect turnout) are likely (IMO) to decline over time, not to improve. Now is the moment, and now is the time to swing for the fences.
I am not sure...I understand your point about the conditions being ripe...but by the same token I think there still a lot of incubation that needs to occur...Hughes, Hischier, Smith, Blackwood...these players all need some time to become the players that win. I see it similar to the late 90's with young guys like Sykora, Elias, Morrison, Madden et al those guys needed sometime to learn how to win. I think our core pieces today still need a little bit of "figuring it all out" time.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I am not sure...I understand your point about the conditions being ripe...but by the same token I think there still a lot of incubation that needs to occur...Hughes, Hischier, Smith, Blackwood...these players all need some time to become the players that win. I see it similar to the late 90's with young guys like Sykora, Elias, Morrison, Madden et al those guys needed sometime to learn how to win. I think our core pieces today still need a little bit of "figuring it all out" time.
The issue is I'm not sure they have the time before the cap and asset crunch becomes problematic. In the 90s and early 00s we had the luxury of really, really long RFA periods combined with no salary cap. It's going to be much harder to keep the core together than it used to be. Beyond their ELCs we may well hit the same wall Toronto is - they all want a ton of money and we can't keep them all. Ready or not, the moment is now.

Reactions: mdj12784

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The issue is I'm not sure they have the time before the cap and asset crunch becomes problematic. In the 90s and early 00s we had the luxury of really, really long RFA periods combined with no salary cap. It's going to be much harder to keep the core together than it used to be. Beyond their ELCs we may well hit the same wall Toronto is - they all want a ton of money and we can't keep them all. Ready or not, the moment is now.

The key year might be Subban’s last and Hughes’ last on his ELC. Might be the sweet spot between kids having enough experience under their built before the true cap crunch begins.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
The key year might be Subban’s last and Hughes’ last on his ELC. Might be the sweet spot between kids having enough experience under their built before the true cap crunch begins.

Yeah, I think that is the prime year, especially if we kept Hall. Hard to say for certain though, as we don't know how Subban's game will be then.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

I don't know, Gomez, Madden, Rafalski, and White and all that. Could just as easily be this year. This is also the year we have Simmonds.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't know, Gomez, Madden, Rafalski, and White and all that. Could just as easily be this year. This is also the year we have Simmonds.

It’s not impossible, but I think this year is still an evaluation and growing year. Guys need to get their feet wet. We still need to see where some guys are at.

An exciting growing year as it should end with playoffs and maybe even some fireworks with a series win or two.

The following two years is where you start to really think about taking a real swing at it. That’s when maybe you start to push big chips into trade deals like a 1st to maybe get a more win now D or forward depending on what holes exist at that point.

You want to maintain some flexibility this year in case things go wrong so it’s easy to push the eject button and retool worst case.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad