Post-Game Talk: The Devil always wins

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I'm sure everybody is frustrated with this but you and some other posters post WAY more frequently when the Oilers are in the dumps. It just makes one wonder if some of you guys get off on the team misfortune. I know you're a fan and all but it does raise suspicion.
There's very little to say for anyone when the team wins. It was great that they beat Vegas. But the old issues keep cropping up and until they correct themselves this team is just a big fat pile of mediocre. Would've been acceptable in the Taylor Hall days, not now.

Also it's very frustrating to see a team like the Devils lap us in terms of a rebuild with an absolute dead weight of a coach. They probably won't win the Cup but they look a lot better than we do with worse top end talent.

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
NJ's first goal on the PP

Is it me, or does Nurse just look lost? I don't even think he looks at Bratt to step up on him to avoid this one timer. Janmark looked a little lost too. I don't know.

Ryan could have stepped up a little more at the blueline. They just stop to let the puck carrier through

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Is it me, or does Nurse just look lost? I don't even think he looks at Bratt to step up on him to avoid this one timer. Janmark looked a little lost too. I don't know.

Ryan could have stepped up a little more at the blueline. They just stop to let the puck carrier through

I'm not bored enough to check, but I wonder if this is a recurring issue with our PK.

Is there a guy in the middle of the box causing them to discombobulate often?

Reasonable Oil Fan

Oct 7, 2022
In the Real World

Seems like a function of too much respect for speed
Back in a bit to keep things outside but without gap control it’s easy to end up taking yourself out of the play

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
Bad goal to let in, but WTF are they doing here? JP goes to backcheck the puck carrier. Ceci also goes to him instead of taking the other guy. Junior level mistakes as usual

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Bad goal to let in, but WTF are they doing here? JP goes to backcheck the puck carrier. Ceci also goes to him instead of taking the other guy. Junior level mistakes as usual

I think the worst part of that clip is the guy(is it Draisaitl?) lazily moping over to the bench at the top of the screen right at the beginning.

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
I think the worst part of that clip is the guy(is it Draisaitl?) lazily moping over to the bench at the top of the screen right at the beginning.
100%

Jp stops skating from center ice and onwards. Ceci also gives the Devil all day to waltz into the zone. No gap control.

Paging Dave Manson. Paging Dave Manson. Barrie was thinking about his dog or WTF knows what he was also doing.

So many stupid players on this team and you can pick a few of them out every game

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
Name a better combo than NO GAP CONTROL plus not covering the trailer man on the other team. Happens every single game multiple times

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Remember Holland signed Nurse to his bridge because "they didn't have the cap to sign him long term" and that was less than two weeks after Holland gave Kassian $21M.

If my GM chose paying Zack Kassian over me, I'd take him to the cleaners on my next chance too.
That says more about you than Holland lol

You can sign a team friendly deal regardless who was signed first

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
Mister Barrie with a giveaway here. Ok that happens. Then Veteran geezer Derek Ryan has to coast back here. If he tries like everybody on NJ does and doesn't give up, he has the shooter backchecked. Nope, can't be bothered to not give up on the play.

Kulak with a terrible effort too. Not all on Ryan. I think Ryan was worried about a pass back. Kulak did the Nurse fall down routine attempted block.

Even the best teams f*** up, otherwise nobody would score in this league, but the Edmonton Oilers do it exponentially more than most teams.

Just some hard work, hustle, and some brains would lower our GAA

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
That says a lot about you than Holland lol

You can sign a team friendly deal regardless who was signed first
You can but very few players do. Nurse capitalized on a career year in which he was shooting about double his career shooting percentage. Holland panicked and gave Nurse a blank cheque after he orchestrated the Duncan Keith trade.

I can certainly say that Nurse should play better but this is the player he's always been. The only year he wasn't we were playing garbage teams for the majority of the season.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
You can but very few players do. Nurse capitalized on a career year in which he was shooting about double his career shooting percentage. Holland panicked and gave Nurse a blank cheque after he orchestrated the Duncan Keith trade.

I can certainly say that Nurse should play better but this is the player he's always been. The only year he wasn't we were playing garbage teams for the majority of the season.
I don't know how anyone could not see Nurse was not a 9.25M player. 7.5M at best.

Morgan Rielly took 7.5M after seeing Nurse got 9.25M. He had every leverage to walk for more but settled for reasonable pay.

Reactions: Cloned

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I don't know how anyone could not see Nurse was not a 9.25M player. 7.5M at best.

Morgan Rielly took 7.5M after seeing Nurse got 9.25M. He had every leverage to walk for more but settled for reasonable pay.
This is the same org that gave Kassian 3.2 for 4 years after a month on McDavid's line. Look up and down the roster and count how many players are overpaid. You might need some toes for it.

Again, Holland panicked after he saw Seth Jones' deal and was scared of Nurse walking for nothing. He had an entire year to negotiate and did not.

Everyone knows that Nurse is a 7.5m at best. Nurse himself probably knows that too, but you're going to turn down an extra 1.75 mil per year? No, you're not. Holland has to learn to negotiate and if his years here have taught us anything, it's that he has absolutely no clue how to do so.

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022

And soon, if they stay here, McDavid will be getting 15 or so and Drai 12+. It's going to be the same sh** here until they retire.

Pay the big boys and then payy too much of our own players under them and have most underperform their contracts

Reactions: Canovin

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Obviously a player doesn’t manage the cap. It doesn’t mean he’s unable to compromise to help contribute to a winning roster, which is something he would want as well.
Sure but the player doesn't owe the team anything especially after the GM decided to cheap out and bridge him instead of locking him up when he had the chance to get him at a relatively reasonable price.

You're saying that Nurse should have recognized the negative effect that his contract would have had on the team. Why is that his job to recognize that? It's not, that's the GM's job to realize that a $9.25m contract to a very low end #1 Dman would be a cap crippler.
It didn't seem like there was a compromise. It seemed like Holland offered him the biggest contract possible, is Nurse supposed to say "Nah, I don't want that, give me less please". Come on.

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
This is the same org that gave Kassian 3.2 for 4 years after a month on McDavid's line. Look up and down the roster and count how many players are overpaid. You might need some toes for it.

Again, Holland panicked after he saw Seth Jones' deal and was scared of Nurse walking for nothing. He had an entire year to negotiate and did not.

Everyone knows that Nurse is a 7.5m at best. Nurse himself probably knows that too, but you're going to turn down an extra 1.75 mil per year? No, you're not. Holland has to learn to negotiate and if his years here have taught us anything, it's that he has absolutely no clue how to do so.
Also, a lot of players do not take discounts because how do you trust that your GM will use your $$ on something useful? Imagine 2 guys take say a combined 3M in a discount and then they see Holland go and pay a Nurse about 3 million more than he should make lol.

Sure but the player doesn't owe the team anything especially after the GM decided to cheap out and bridge him instead of locking him up when he had the chance to get him at a relatively reasonable price.

You're saying that Nurse should have recognized the negative effect that his contract would have had on the team. Why is that his job to recognize that? It's not, that's the GM's job to realize that a $9.25m contract to a very low end #1 Dman would be a cap crippler.
It didn't seem like there was a compromise. It seemed like Holland offered him the biggest contract possible, is Nurse supposed to say "Nah, I don't want that, give me less please". Come on.
Yup this is 100% on Holland.

WTF was Nurse's ask to even END UP AT 9.25M? LOL

I seriously think Holland just threw 9.25M at Nurse's agent and they were shocked and just took it as fast as they could.

If Nurse did not respond for a day, Holland was probably ready to throw 9.75 at him quickly.

• Haha
Reactions: frag2

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Nurse thinks way too highly of himself, I remember when he commented that he'd definitely leave the Oilers to play for Team Canada at the Olympics, and I was like "what makes you think you'd even make the team asshat?".

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

If I recall correctly Chiarelli wanted to pay McDavid the max and he had to talk good ol' Pete down from it. These people don't know how to negotiate.

Also, a lot of players do not take discounts because how do you trust that your GM will use your $$ on something useful? Imagine 2 guys take say a combined 3M in a discount and then they see Holland go and pay a Nurse about 3 million more than he should make lol.

Yup this is 100% on Holland.

WTF was Nurse's ask to even END UP AT 9.25M? LOL

I seriously think Holland just threw 9.25M at Nurse's agent and they were shocked and just took it as fast as they could.
Overpaying players has been an issue forever. It's actually quite maddening that Holland took a patient approach with RNH and hammered out a pretty reasonable deal then just said "f*** it" with Nurse.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Wasn't it reported that Nurse wanted 8M x 4 years to end his deal the same time as McDavid and then Seth Jones got 9.5M x 8 years and that's when Nurse upped the bid to 10M x 8 years? Holland did bring the offer down to 9.25M. Like I said, this says more about Nurse than Holland. The guy wanted a big pay since the get go

SnipeShowJB11

Jul 8, 2022
If I recall correctly Chiarelli wanted to pay McDavid the max and he had to talk good ol' Pete down from it. These people don't know how to negotiate.

Overpaying players has been an issue forever. It's actually quite maddening that Holland took a patient approach with RNH and hammered out a pretty reasonable deal then just said "f*** it" with Nurse.
I stopped watching wrestling when I was about 15/16 back in the late 90's, but I heard the hardcore people call some fans "Marks"? I think those guys are like super into wrestling and take it overly serious.

As a hockey player, most of these guys will want to make as much as they can and their agents should be telling them most of the time to make your bag.

I don't think a lot of hockey players are "marks" when high amount of $$ is thrown around. We all say "this guy should have taken less, etc", but I don't blame them. I don't think they cry at night if they won't win a cup in their careers.

They have set up their families for generations

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
It takes 2 to play the game. Holland stayed patient with RNH, Barrie, Hyman and Nurse. 3 guys those reasonable deals. Nurse took max possible

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Never said he owes the team anything. Just saying if he was smart and serious about winning here he might’ve considered a compromise.

I also highly doubt Holland offered him the biggest contract possible with enthusiasm. It’s more likely one side knew they were f***ed and the other knew the other side was f***ed, lol.

Reactions: Canovin

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Wasn't it reported that Nurse wanted 8M x 4 years to end his deal the same time as McDavid and then Seth Jones got 9.5M x 8 years and that's when Nurse upped the bid to 10M x 8 years? Holland did bring the offer down to 9.25M. Like I said, this says more about Nurse than Holland. The guy wanted a big pay since the get go

They honestly should've taken the 8x4.

Reactions: Duke74

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad