Post-Game Talk: The Defending Champs vs the team Philly doesn't care about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Isles win, Pens win... Metro not giving up the chase.

giphy.gif

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Another very encouraging game from the Orlov-Niskanen pairing. This team is very good when all 3 defensive pairs are clicking like they are now.

That pair has been rock solid. I'm so excited for them as it has been a somewhat trying season. Orlov is just shutting people down and making them feel a little pain along the way.

Great win all around. I'd love to see Ovechkin get a few games off before playoffs start. He doesn't have quite as much pep in his step as he did earlier in the season.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
So we should see their best the rest of the year. Should be interesting with some key countrymen playing against each other.
I think it's interesting when hockey pundits push the "isn't it odd that these Russians are getting chripy with each other, they're countrymen" narrative. Obvious fact that I can list many fellow countrymen I don't like aside, when you really think about it, aside from speaking the same language and playing the odd tournament every so often how likely is it that a lot of these guys are familiar.

I mean I think I get the Ov-Geno thing, they've essentially been always with or competing against each other. But a guy like Kucherov is 25, by my count Ovechkin has literally only played one tournament with him (WCH).

Anyways, I know that's maybe not the point you were making, just got me thinking.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
So we should see their best the rest of the year. Should be interesting with some key countrymen playing against each other.
Absolutely..and I hope Tampa wears themselves out..they are on pace to be the most dominate team since the Montreal team in '77(?)..keep waiting for them to hit a wall and it never happens.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Columbus vs Montreal for the final spot is still very much in doubt. Philly will be hard pressed to make up the gap, though.

Looking at the Habs schedule versus the Jackets schedule and I feel pretty confident in my assertion.

Screen Shot 2019-03-14 at 10.22.27 PM.png

And those numbers were BEFORE tonight.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think it's interesting when hockey pundits push the "isn't it odd that these Russians are getting chripy with each other, they're countrymen" narrative. Obvious fact that I can list many fellow countrymen I don't like aside, when you really think about it, aside from speaking the same language and playing the odd tournament every so often how likely is it that a lot of these guys are familiar.

I mean I think I get the Ov-Geno thing, they've essentially been always with or competing against each other. But a guy like Kucherov is 25, by my count Ovechkin has literally only played one tournament with him (WCH).

Anyways, I know that's maybe not the point you were making, just got me thinking.

I meant simply as competitive. I think Kucherov will be plenty motivated to try and beat the best Russian NHL player of all time. Kuzy, I'd hope he's a little more motivated but who knows?

Some Swedes involved that are International-level guys...haven't looked closely at their roster honestly, but those two countries came to mind.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Just got home, I was at the game tonight. I have a good buddy who is a Flyers fan and isn't a yinzer but lives in yinzerville with me. He's a Flyers fan to the grave. He buys tickets in Philly and I buy tickets in DC and we do the trip...some thoughts on live caps tonight vs TV.

Haglin is a f***ing machine, he must have a god level conditioning. I mean he's out there for pretty much 75% of every PK. There was one he was on the ice for the entire PK and he was struggling towards the end but still giving everything he had in his body. Absolutely amazing athlete. I was cheering Haglin's PK efforts like I was goals. Dude is a warrior.

Next observation is also Haglin but Jensen as well...I'm not sure exactly how it happens but both those guys are like full on assimilated into the team. It's like they've been battling along side the core all year, I honestly couldn't tell they've been around a couple weeks. The way they communicated on the ice and the bench(sat behind the Caps bench twice tonight) was stellar and it makes me proud to be a Caps fan to see how receptive and open the team is at taking new folks on and making them part of the family. Really cool shit!

My other thought is this team is built with a formula...all three top lines now have a puck retriever/grinder, a setup center and a goal scorer. I LOVE Haglin on that third line.

I don't know where we're at cap wise at the end of the season but damn I'd love to find a way to keep Cono and Haglin. Perhaps not realistic but pipe dreams.

I was at a few playoff games last year and the team is playing swarming defense again like they did in the playoffs. They're rounding into form and I'm excited boys...we got a f***ing team....

P.S. Holtby isn't broke, he looked outstanding moving tonight. I've seen him live before where he looked off...he's moving like he's locked in. He's rounding out too and holy f***, we might have a chance to defend. Didn't feel this way a couple months ago...but...GO CAPS GO!

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Very excited to see the team rounding into form before I head to Tampa on Saturday for the game. The cheap seats are upwards of $100 a piece and I recently moved a few hours from Tampa so I was considering being a Bad Fan and not attending the game. But with the team clicking on most cylinders I decided to go ahead and buy a ticket and make the drive tomorrow.

I'll be decked out in championship gear to rub it in to the Tampans. (yes, that is what people from Tampa are called)

aonb

Oct 26, 2013
50 for ov is not as obvious as it was a few weeks ago. 2G in last 9GP. 11 games to go, he needs 4G. doable but far far from obviousness

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
That pair has been rock solid. I'm so excited for them as it has been a somewhat trying season. Orlov is just shutting people down and making them feel a little pain along the way.

I forgot who it was on last night, but that open ice hit Orlov laid on someone at center ice was beautiful. When Orlov is hitting like that, its like he's at the top of his game.

Thought he looked a little over-matched in the Penguins game as well. Might just be hasn't played games at this level of competitive intensity in a while

Yeah. Jensen looked kind of bewildered in the PITT game. Not in a very negative way, but not as poised as previous games. Almost like being in a big rivalry game with playoff implications finally hit him. But, like I said, he wasn't bad. Just a little more jittery.

It's a bad thing if he and his family love it here....

Its really hard to find anything in depth on Connolly during his time here. I assumed that his personality was a little bit more reserved? Especially with all the big personalities on the team. Is there anything out there stating that he actually loves it here in DC? He should go after the money, but he'll always have a place here.

Especially since it was Connolly's shot that Eller scored off the rebound to bring home the championship.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
It was also Connolly's shot pinballing eventually to Eller's leg and into the net that brought us back from the dead against Columbus.
I've really liked the guy, and been impressed with how he's grown his game and made the most of his opportunity. His shot, the quickness of his release, and his lack of hesitation about getting the puck toward the net are his strengths. And he also seems like a pretty thoughtful guy, based on a couple of articles I've read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad