Post-Game Talk: The Defending Champs vs the team Philly doesn't care about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
@tenken00 Spoken like a fan with no personal attachments like the player would have. I have no clue if he likes or loves it here total speculation.

I know this, it’s the only place he’s had individual professional success, it’s a winning environment with multiple future HOF players (likely), and by all accounts this is a tight locker room.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I think someone will throw Conno close to 4.5 in the off season and I'm not sure we can do much more then 3.25. I also still stand by that while his secondary scoring is nice it's really about the only thing he brings to us. I figure if he's much more then the 3.5 we can probably get more value elsewhere.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
50 for ov is not as obvious as it was a few weeks ago. 2G in last 9GP. 11 games to go, he needs 4G. doable but far far from obviousness
If he continues playing the way he has, it's not going to happen. He has been making poor decisions with the puck and his shooting has been off. That said, he tends to go on tears, just a matter of when.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Just got home, I was at the game tonight. I have a good buddy who is a Flyers fan and isn't a yinzer but lives in yinzerville with me. He's a Flyers fan to the grave. He buys tickets in Philly and I buy tickets in DC and we do the trip...some thoughts on live caps tonight vs TV.

Haglin is a ****ing machine, he must have a god level conditioning. I mean he's out there for pretty much 75% of every PK. There was one he was on the ice for the entire PK and he was struggling towards the end but still giving everything he had in his body. Absolutely amazing athlete. I was cheering Haglin's PK efforts like I was goals. Dude is a warrior.

Next observation is also Haglin but Jensen as well...I'm not sure exactly how it happens but both those guys are like full on assimilated into the team. It's like they've been battling along side the core all year, I honestly couldn't tell they've been around a couple weeks. The way they communicated on the ice and the bench(sat behind the Caps bench twice tonight) was stellar and it makes me proud to be a Caps fan to see how receptive and open the team is at taking new folks on and making them part of the family. Really cool ****!

My other thought is this team is built with a formula...all three top lines now have a puck retriever/grinder, a setup center and a goal scorer. I LOVE Haglin on that third line.

I don't know where we're at cap wise at the end of the season but damn I'd love to find a way to keep Cono and Haglin. Perhaps not realistic but pipe dreams.

I was at a few playoff games last year and the team is playing swarming defense again like they did in the playoffs. They're rounding into form and I'm excited boys...we got a ****ing team....

P.S. Holtby isn't broke, he looked outstanding moving tonight. I've seen him live before where he looked off...he's moving like he's locked in. He's rounding out too and holy ****, we might have a chance to defend. Didn't feel this way a couple months ago...but...GO CAPS GO!

1000 Likes!

Suddenly, well actually its gradually, the team is rounding into playoff form, right in time for the playoffs. And now the gloom and doom of the December/January losing streak is mostly gone (except for the choice few who prefer to find the negatives in everything). But for those of us who are watching our 45th season of Caps hockey, this is the formula they needed all along. The Caps have learned how to win in the playoffs, and burning out in January isn't part of that plan. Maybe Tampa will learn that lesson too, next year, or the year after, or not, I don't care.

All I do know is, the effort Ovi and Kuzy put out last playoffs while they dragged this team on their backs to its first Stanley Cup, isn't sustainable for more than two months. I give them full pass on these doldrums for now. I fully expect them to be in May/June form when the Poffs actually start. Everyone, from Holts to Eller to Backie to 9+2 and to 8+92, rounds into form in their own time frame. The preseason is almost over, strap in boys and girls and babes.

Reactions: RandyHolt

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
1000 Likes!

Suddenly, well actually its gradually, the team is rounding into playoff form, right in time for the playoffs. And now the gloom and doom of the December/January losing streak is mostly gone (except for the choice few who prefer to find the negatives in everything). But for those of us who are watching our 45th season of Caps hockey, this is the formula they needed all along. The Caps have learned how to win in the playoffs, and burning out in January isn't part of that plan. Maybe Tampa will learn that lesson too, next year, or the year after, or not, I don't care.

If we somehow win it all again this year, and next year look like poop again in January, I think we would have all learned our lesson.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I think someone will throw Conno close to 4.5 in the off season and I'm not sure we can do much more then 3.25. I also still stand by that while his secondary scoring is nice it's really about the only thing he brings to us. I figure if he's much more then the 3.5 we can probably get more value elsewhere.

Seems like, unless we ditch a Nisky or someone similar, there's no possible way to keep 10+62+65, so If I had to choose I'd say buy Burky, and work to keep Hags and Conno in the fold. I feel like Burky and Conno are similar players in terms of overall contribution, but Conno is just much more consistent while still having some upside left in him. If I had to choose only one of those three, its Hags. The other two are more easily replaceable.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
If we somehow win it all again this year, and next year look like poop again in January, I think we would have all learned our lesson.

Hopefully we don't have to wait until then to learn that TR isn't the clueless nitwit some people made him out to be :D I don't know if we win the Cup again, but I fully expect and know in my heart, they will give a Cup worthy effort. It still takes some luck, a few things outside your own control. We could get the Pens in Rd 1 and dominate them for 350 minutes and get smoked for 10 minutes and lose a series, but it won't be for lack of effort.

Reactions: tenken00

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I forgot who it was on last night, but that open ice hit Orlov laid on someone at center ice was beautiful. When Orlov is hitting like that, its like he's at the top of his game.

Yeah. Jensen looked kind of bewildered in the PITT game. Not in a very negative way, but not as poised as previous games. Almost like being in a big rivalry game with playoff implications finally hit him. But, like I said, he wasn't bad. Just a little more jittery.

Its really hard to find anything in depth on Connolly during his time here. I assumed that his personality was a little bit more reserved? Especially with all the big personalities on the team. Is there anything out there stating that he actually loves it here in DC? He should go after the money, but he'll always have a place here.

Especially since it was Connolly's shot that Eller scored off the rebound to bring home the championship.

I will never ever ever pass up an opportunity to watch that highlight. :wave:

As far as Connolly goes, he's said that this is the first team that's put him in a good position to have success. Don't recall specific comments on loving the DC area, but maybe others do. Would love for him to stay, but I think the playoffs will tell the tale about who is too pricey and who GMBM will prioritize.

Last edited:
Reactions: tenken00

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Just about a perfect road game, lines 2-4 all pulling their weight
Get on board early, great team D, good PK esp. from Hag/Eller, some solid hits from Willie/Orly/OV, only thing missing was goal #47, and Kuzy didn't suck as bad as other recent games, 11 more games to turn his give-a-shirt factor on and join the rest of the team

Reactions: kicksavedave
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad