Post-Game Talk: The Deadline is Over - Go(c)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I hope we do well in the playoffs and although anything can happen i think most of us feel this just isn't our year. Regardless the outcome i really hope Orpik is shown the door, its gotta be this offseason.... Right?

Being completely serious:

IMO, the best thing that could happen this year would be an 2nd round embarrassment to PHI or NYR that get's DB fired (any maybe Shero).

The Pens won't win with him behind the bench and the soonet he's gone the better.

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
no complaints about shero's deadline today, both were good moves.

major complaints about his past ~1 year. still no winger for crosby, still relying on the worst playoff goalie in the league, still employing bylsma... shero needs to start making some tough decisions.

Michael8771*

And what would it cost them if they don't pan out? Pettersson was had for Alex Grant for crying out loud. The Bolts got Marchessault and Smith for Matt Taormina and Dana Tyrell. Collberg was different because he needs to be an important piece for the Isles in the whole Vanek fiasco, but at least Snow has given himself a shot at a little redemption. I only mentioned Collberg because I was really hoping we'd draft him two years ago. His offensive game is explosive.

With these types of moves, you don't have to pan out all the time. The more you try, the better the odds of nailing something.

I WANT Shero to try and fail a few more times in attempting to pick up under-the-radar talent.

I envy Tampa Bay so much after today. They traded their best player, but their oldest player by far, and got back an NHL captain for now, and potentially two first rounders for the future. And they were already one of the best young teams in the NHL, with a great farm system.

Are the Bolts wasting Stamkos's prime years?
Again terrible argument! Stamkos is 24 years old, likely his best years are ahead of him. They also traded a 38 year old player albeit a damn good one. But they aren't necessarily a now team, they have far more time to develop their young talent and still have SS in his prime then say PIT does.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Being completely serious:

IMO, the best thing that could happen this year would be an 2nd round embarrassment to PHI or NYR that get's DB fired (any maybe Shero).

The Pens won't win with him behind the bench and the soonet he's gone the better.

I'm all for anything that gets Bylsma fired quicker, and since they didn't trade any legit assets for rentals this season, I don't feel bad about it either. Just take our medicine now and get it over with instead of prolonging the situation.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
There is more than ONE WAY to build a team around Crosby and Malkin. Shero knows of only one, and that's where I have a big problem.

Besides, I am not in favor of dealing so many quality assets for a player that plays a 'hard' game. Those guys break down more quickly. Ever wonder why Jagr's still playing? Selanne? Offensive guys last longer. Oh, and they're pretty good too.

You want a power forward? There's one in the draft this year. Go get him. At least you get his best years. And he plays wing, too. Not reluctantly. And he'd be happy playing second banana behind our superstars.

I just never liked the idea of Kesler, just doesn't seem to be a fit to me. On the ice yes, but in terms of chemistry, his ultimate role, etc. Bylsma would play him more than Crosby. I don't know, I just don't like the whole Kesler to Pitt idea.

Even if we grab this kid (whom I have no idea who you're talking about--haven't put much into the draft prospects yet), barring something miraculous happening, he's still yeeeears away from even being in Bennett's position, where he's trying desperately to crack the lineup and claw his way onto a scoring line.

It's one thing to take Selanne and Jagr as examples. Those are pretty radical examples. You need guys who play Kesler's game to succeed. Teams just don't win in the playoffs without that kind of player. Chicago had Bolland and has Toews. We had Staal. Boston has Bergeron. Now, we have Brandon Sutter... Not good enough.

I don't think Kesler would have been a problem. He explicitly said he wanted to come here, knowing full well what that meant. He'd either be playing on the wing with Sid and Kunitz, or he'd be the keystone in this team's shift back to the 3C model. And what's wrong with playing him more than Sid? Kesler plays in more situations than Sid. It also keeps Sid more fresh for focusing entirely on offensive production.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
I see Kunitz having one more good year left in him before the wheels fall off.

We need to let guys like Orpik and Niskanan walk this summer so we can plug the young Dmen on cheap contracts in. Then use that Brooks/Nisky money on two wingers.

I fully expect Orpik and Nisky to be resigned though. Cause' thats how we roll.

I would keep Nisky. I know its a contract season so hopefully once he gets paid he wont become complacent. But he has shown a lot of good stuff worthy of 4-4.5 range especially being relied upon more due to martin and letang being out so much, he has really stepped up.

Orpik however No.... God No... Please Go No... Save the 3.75 mil

But more importantly save our sanity.

Fire Shero*

Well today sucked

I'm just shocked ******* didn't acquire a dman today.

When will this band aid approach stop?

Mrs Crosby's Dryer

Can we please fire idiot Sullivan now?
Dec 11, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
But but but he offered Parise a contract.

I'm so sick of Shero, Mario needs to grow a pair and fire RS and DB.

Sid and Geno are wasting their careers here. Any other GM would build around these two world class players. Not Shero.

I still can't believe people like this idiot.

This is how I feel too. I gave up on HCDB a long time ago for obvious reasons, but held out hope for Shero. Sadly I've totally lost any faith that I had in him now too.

It's not just about today (which was a total bust in my opinion), but rather how he's mismanaged and constructed this monstrosity of a roster over his tenure. A couple of great trades (Neal/Kunitz/Guerin deals), an outstanding draft selection (Maatta), and 1 Stanley Cup when you have a Sid & a Geno simply don't make up for it.

We are wasting two generational talents and until ownership accepts that its going to continue. I'm hoping they come to that conclusion before it's too late, but I'm not holding my breath on that one either. :shakehead

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
The one problem I have when people say "any winger we draft now will be 3-4 years away anyway," is that we've been saying that for 3-4 years now.

Michael8771*

Olli Maatta's 19 years old. He helps our stars NOW more than any acquisition we could have made today.

You CAN win with young players, this just in.
Yeah and how many 19 year old defensemen make the impact that Maatta does? That's by far the exception and not the rule. You're not interested in catering to Sid and Geno, it's kinda disturbing. You just want to wait it out. And by the time the Pouliots of the world develop to their completetion, our stars will be in their 30's.:shakehead

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I would keep Nisky. I know its a contract season so hopefully once he gets paid he wont become complacent. But he has shown a lot of good stuff worthy of 4-4.5 range especially being relied upon more due to martin and letang being out so much, he has really stepped up.

We DID re-sign Adams....

penguins2946*

Playoff lineup:

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Goc-Sutter-Stempniak
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Orpik-Martin
Maatta-Niskanen
Despres-Scuderi

Not bad. That looks like a lineup that could go deep

Vega

Nov 25, 2005
Socal

Nisky is playing the best hockey of his career. I think the chances of him maintaining this level of play are very slim. There is no way I'd even flirt with the idea of paying him 4.5-5 million a year. No way.

What was the point of drafting all these young defensemen if you're not going to trust them to ever play?

Borts and Despres should be line up regulars every game next year.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Playoff lineup:

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Jokinen-Malkin-Neal
Goc-Sutter-Stempniak
Glass-Vitale-Adams

Orpik-Martin
Maatta-Niskanen
Despres-Scuderi

Not bad. That looks like a lineup that could go deep

The 4th line makes me cry, and I want Bortuzzo in there other than Orpik or Scuderi, but that looks very accurate.

alcanalz

whys and wherefores
Nov 3, 2009
And what would it cost them if they don't pan out? Pettersson was had for Alex Grant for crying out loud. The Bolts got Marchessault and Smith for Matt Taormina and Dana Tyrell. Collberg was different because he needs to be an important piece for the Isles in the whole Vanek fiasco, but at least Snow has given himself a shot at a little redemption. I only mentioned Collberg because I was really hoping we'd draft him two years ago. His offensive game is explosive.

With these types of moves, you don't have to pan out all the time. The more you try, the better the odds of nailing something.

I WANT Shero to try and fail a few more times in attempting to pick up under-the-radar talent.

I envy Tampa Bay so much after today. They traded their best player, but their oldest player by far, and got back an NHL captain for now, and potentially two first rounders for the future. And they were already one of the best young teams in the NHL, with a great farm system.

Are the Bolts wasting Stamkos's prime years?

The Bolts have a ways to go before they can even drink at our table.

And I know I edited my post after you quoted me apparently, but we have Gibbons playing on our first line right now... who was exactly what you described Petersson as, and he was a low-risk, higher-reward signing.

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA
The one problem I have when people say "any winger we draft now will be 3-4 years away anyway," is that we've been saying that for 3-4 years now.

Haha exactly. I never understood that argument. Instead we should draft defensemen who we can trade in 3-4 years for a winger. Makes perfect sense, right?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Olli Maatta's 19 years old. He helps our stars NOW more than any acquisition we could have made today.

You CAN win with young players, this just in.

Maatta is an aberration, not the norm. You know that, Jags. Saying Shero needs to hoard prospects in hopes of finding a forward with Maatta's impact is as unrealistic as thinking Gladams and Orpik will be effective hockey players for your team.

I'm all for drafting/developing wingers. It's just not gonna happen. Like it's been mentioned before, Shero's got a plan and he stubbornly sticks to it. Draft/develop defensemen. If they pan out, they're either a valuable asset to this team as a roster player or they're a valuable asset to this team via trade for forward help. Problem is, aside from Goligoski, he's not flipping any of this depth for legit answers up front. And I know one can't expect more Goligoski type of trades, but moving a prospect like Pouliot should absolutely not be out of the question if the return is someone of Kesler's caliber.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm going to lock the thread as we hit a limit. If you folks want another one up - start it up! If not, then let's move discussion into the other two threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad