Votes: 25 71.4%
  • Under

Votes: 10 28.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardlizard

Dec 3, 2021
I have so much patience for Drai. Can you imagine what it's like to run his line with new hopeful wing(ers) every other game.... He's been stuck with weak links the most frequently. No time to build chemistry at all...no time to get in a rhythm and build. Only for him to be out with Connor (the most compatible linemate available) in times of desperation or on the pp.

It would suck to be one of the best and not have some structure and regular linemates. This mix and match stuff is bs....injuries happen but the fact that we're playing musical chairs for an elite player on a team that's supposed to be a contender is f***ed up. The components of his game that are so special go wasted on people that can't keep their stick on the ice or keep a cycle alive .

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
The Oil are a dud. Least there’s a feel good story here. Everyone said Vegas was sunk due to goaltending and they have by far, by far the best performing tandem in the Pacific. Let’s hang out hats on that when we get caved 10 mins in at 5v5, yet again. 2-0 Vegas before the 10 min mark with a 4-1 final. Edmonton losses a key player to injury to real let the stink soak in.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
The 2 best players in the league, in the worst division and people will still be making excuses for Holland even with us sitting at .500

Imagine if Smith and Keith didn’t pack it in. Why any of you make excuses for Holland is beyond me.

Reactions: Porkleaker

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Janmark starting on McDavids LW.

Bold.

1E3DDEF7-AAE5-44CF-86C3-DD01F0DA3AF8.gif

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I know f*** all at all about soccer/futbol... but I still made a fantasy team over at the FIFA site... and picked all the teams that I think will win right up to the finals in the bracket challenge... and picked all the scores for the games coming up.

Keep in mind I know zip-zero-nada-squat about soccer and don't even care about the sport... but this is the level I'm now reaching I guess with the Oilers... I'm settlin' in for a long winter's apathy if this Oilers team keeps playing like a yo-yo and goes into a slide here... and onwards towards a mediocre skid where it's even iffy that they can squeak into a wild card spot.

Sigh... I have really no interest in sports outside the Oilers... so hopefully this team can ramshackle something together and at least give me the hope they can be a playoff team this year.

If McDavid would have been injured medium/long term on that Edler scummy hit... I'm pretty sure I would have just gone into a 6 month hibernation away from hockey at that point.

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Just out of curiosity... some numbers from last season:

At the US Thanksgiving mark last year (November 25th)... these were the top teams in terms of pts %:

Rank​
Team​
P%​
1​
Florida Panthers​
0.816​
2​
Carolina Hurricanes​
0.806​
3​
Edmonton Oilers​
0.737​
4​
Calgary Flames​
0.725​
5​
Washington Capitals​
0.725​
6​
New York Rangers​
0.711​
7​
Tampa Bay Lightning​
0.694​
8​
Toronto Maple Leafs​
0.69​
9​
Minnesota Wild​
0.658​
10​
Colorado Avalanche​
0.656​
11​
Columbus Blue Jackets​
0.647​
12​
Boston Bruins​
0.625​
13​
Vegas Golden Knights​
0.6​
14​
New Jersey Devils​
0.588​
15​
Pittsburgh Penguins​
0.579​
16​
St. Louis Blues​
0.579​
17​
Winnipeg Jets​
0.579​

...and the teams that ended up making the playoffs with the highest pts % at the end of the season were:

Rank​
Team​
P%​
1​
Florida Panthers​
0.744​
2​
Colorado Avalanche​
0.726​
3​
Carolina Hurricanes​
0.707​
4​
Toronto Maple Leafs​
0.701​
5​
Minnesota Wild​
0.689​
6​
Calgary Flames​
0.677​
7​
New York Rangers​
0.671​
8​
Tampa Bay Lightning​
0.671​
9​
St. Louis Blues​
0.665​
10​
Boston Bruins​
0.652​
11​
Edmonton Oilers​
0.634​
12​
Pittsburgh Penguins​
0.628​
13​
Washington Capitals​
0.61​
14​
Los Angeles Kings​
0.604​
15​
Dallas Stars​
0.598​
16​
Nashville Predators​
0.591​

So basically Columbus/Vegas/New Jersey dropped out of the top 16 spots (Winnipeg was tied for a last place spot at Thanksgiving) and Nashville/Dallas/Los Angeles moved up into a playoff spot.

So basically 3 teams that were outside of a playoff spot at Thanksgiving made it into the playoffs (and were all out in the 1st round).

So you could say 13/16 teams... or 81% that were in a playoff spot at Thanksgiving made it to the playoffs... and only 3/16 or 19% changed.

So going by last year... you have ~20% chance at playoffs if you aren't in a playoff spot by US Thanksgiving.

20/21 was a screwed up 56 game Covid season so can't really use data from that season

19/20 was shortened by Covid as well... but just out of curiosity I checked... and in that season 13 out of the 16 teams with the highest pts % at Thanksgiving were also still in the top 16 teams with the highest pts% at the end of the season (when the season was stopped due to Covid)... so that basically confirms that ~80%/~20% chance of playoffs as well.

So based on recent history... you certainly have a MUCH better chance at playoffs if you are in a playoff position at US Thanksgiving. It's not an infallible indicator but pretty decent.

Oilers are 16th in the NHL right now in pts% with 3 (tough) games to go before US Thanksgiving.

Last edited:
Reactions: brentashton

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Janmark starting on McDavids LW.

Bold.
With the way JP and Yamamoto have been playing, not sure Woodcroft has much of a choice. Think Janmark is a better player than hes being credited for (in general, not saying you’re saying it). Should of never started in the AHL.

On other hand, shows our depth has room to improve.

Last edited:

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Looks like Skinner is getting his 3rd straight start.

Janmark will be on the top line.

Fogi gets another chance on the 2nd line.

Kostin is playing again which I'm in strong favor. I liked what he brings.

Malone gets called up.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Can’t help thinking that the first 5 minutes will determine the outcome of the game. Either the Oilers grab the game by the throat or play on their heels for 60 minutes.
Go Oilers….play LaBamba!

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Interesting lines from practice

Janmark-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Draisaitl-Foegele
Kostin-McLeod-Puljujarvi
Holloway-Shore-Ryan

Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Bouchard
Murray-Barrie

Niemelainen
Skinner
Campbell

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Interesting lines from practice

Janmark-McDavid-Hyman
RNH-Draisaitl-Foegele
Kostin-McLeod-Puljujarvi
Holloway-Shore-Ryan

Nurse-Ceci
Kulak-Bouchard
Murray-Barrie

Niemelainen
Skinner
Campbell
Didn’t know Nieme could goaltend as well but I’m not surprised because he is Finnish

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I know f*** all at all about soccer/futbol... but I still made a fantasy team over at the FIFA site... and picked all the teams that I think will win right up to the finals in the bracket challenge... and picked all the scores for the games coming up.

Keep in mind I know zip-zero-nada-squat about soccer and don't even care about the sport... but this is the level I'm now reaching I guess with the Oilers... I'm settlin' in for a long winter's apathy if this Oilers team keeps playing like a yo-yo and goes into a slide here... and onwards towards a mediocre skid where it's even iffy that they can squeak into a wild card spot.

Sigh... I have really no interest in sports outside the Oilers... so hopefully this team can ramshackle something together and at least give me the hope they can be a playoff team this year.

If McDavid would have been injured medium/long term on that Edler scummy hit... I'm pretty sure I would have just gone into a 6 month hibernation away from hockey at that point.
Just fan to fan, remember that last year we all felt the exact same way come January. It's basically the same team, so I'm still finding a way to get excited for games because we know they have it in them to get hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad