The Curious Case of Benjamin Hutton

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntison

Aug 12, 2008
He's ready to turn pro. I felt this season would have been better for him in Utica, but whatever. I'm pretty damn excited about him. Every time I see him play he just jumps out at me. Seems to have a similar calming game like Corrado and Tanev but with more offence, and 6'3 to boot. I think he'll turn heads next season and get a few NHL games.

You think he will compete for a roster spot next season? Or just an injury call up.

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Sbisa - Clendening
Stanton/Corrado/Weber/Biega

Unless some moves are made, I think it will be hard for him to get a look next season.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
You think he will compete for a roster spot next season? Or just an injury call up.

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Sbisa - Clendening
Stanton/Corrado/Weber/Biega

Unless some moves are made, I think it will be hard for him to get a look next season.

I'm assuming by pro he means AHL.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
there are a lot of defensemen turning pro next season. it should be interesting for Utica.

Really, I think only Hutton and Subban (if signed) along with McEneny will be the only new guys on the radar. Suspect 2 of those 3 will get regular jobs.

Liberati won't be signed, Cederholm will be in the WHL for his overage year or in the ECHL, and Tryamkin will be in Russia for 1 more year.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Really, I think only Hutton and Subban (if signed) along with McEneny will be the only new guys on the radar. Suspect 2 of those 3 will get regular jobs.

Liberati won't be signed, Cederholm will be in the WHL for his overage year or in the ECHL, and Tryamkin will be in Russia for 1 more year.

Pretty sure JB said Subban will be signed so i don't think there's any doubt there. I don't think Liberati will be signed to a NHL contract but i do believe Utica might sign him. So he could still be competition for a roster spot and even a contract spot. It only makes sense to keep tab on his development and keep exclusive rights for him.

McNally also might be signed since i believe this is his last year in NCAA. There are a lot of question marks with him including injury but there's some upside there that might warrant a contract.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
i had never seen that quote about 4 years posted earlier in the thread. i guess the impetus on signing hutton is entirely on benning this year. hope he doesn't **** it up some how

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Pretty sure JB said Subban will be signed so i don't think there's any doubt there. I don't think Liberati will be signed to a NHL contract but i do believe Utica might sign him. So he could still be competition for a roster spot and even a contract spot. It only makes sense to keep tab on his development and keep exclusive rights for him.

McNally also might be signed since i believe this is his last year in NCAA. There are a lot of question marks with him including injury but there's some upside there that might warrant a contract.
It might be McNally's last year playing hockey in the college, but he's staying at Harvard for another year to finish his degree.

I'm excited to see what Hutton can do in the AHL. I have no idea what to expect with McNally.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
It might be McNally's last year playing hockey in the college, but he's staying at Harvard for another year to finish his degree.

I'm excited to see what Hutton can do in the AHL. I have no idea what to expect with McNally.

If so... RIP NHL career. If he ever even wanted to play.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

This is the first time I've read this. Have you got a source?

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
This is the first time I've read this. Have you got a source?

This was posted in the last prospect thread.

Along with goaltender Steve Michalek and injured defenseman Patrick McNally, Everson will greet Saturday’s Senior Night with some uncertainty.

Now fourth-year academic juniors, the trio withdrew from the College at the beginning of the 2012-2013 season, yet are listed as seniors in the team’s media guide. Following the end of this season, they will appeal to the Ivy League for the reinstatement of their lost year of eligibility.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2015/2/27/mens-hockey-seeks-first-round-bye/

I read it as they are trying to get reinstated so they can play hockey during their senior years. I guess he might drop out if he isn't reinstated, however I don't think that is very likely.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
there are a lot of defensemen turning pro next season. it should be interesting for Utica.

Perhaps the Zoo as well. All those guys can't stay in Vancouver and Utica has a couple who will definitely be holdovers (Pedan and Andersson). The number coming in at once will be overstock numbers for the two rosters. Remember Blain and Negrin still exist and will be in the pool and Negrin's Daddy is still in his position of power.

Last edited:

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
This was posted in the last prospect thread.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2015/2/27/mens-hockey-seeks-first-round-bye/

I read it as they are trying to get reinstated so they can play hockey during their senior years. I guess he might drop out if he isn't reinstated, however I don't think that is very likely.

I knew he was applying for reinstatement; it'll be disappointing if you're correct about his intentions if he is no longer eligible to play for Harvard.

The injury was really unfortunate. The way his season was wrapping up looked very promising.

Wrong thread. Back to Hutton. Will Hutton sign with the Canucks when his season ends? PTO with Utica?

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
If Hutton signs this year, what does the Utica D look like for 2015-16?

Andersson-Sanguinetti
Hutton-Pedan
McEneny-?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Andersson-Sanguinetti
Hutton-Pedan
McEneny-?

Biega will probably be retained and Subban will probably be there. Andersson is surely gone back to Sweden.

Some of the Lafranchise/Ehrhardt types will probably still be around. Negrin never seems to go away.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I imagine that Benning will likely move some deadweight contracts to make space for Hutton. Can't see all of Grenier/Friesen/Blomstrand sticking around unless they sign an AHL only deals with Utica next year.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
are we sure that benning is aware that hutton exists?

edit: oh yeah i guess

Benning: “The reports I’m getting is that he’s just trying to do a little bit too much. But he’s a good player. He’s poised with the puck and knows when to jump into the play on the offensive side. I expect him to get his game back in order and have a really good year.”

edit lmao at the start of this season he said this about subban

"We’re keeping an eye on him and watching him and we’ll make that (contract) decision as we go forward. We still have lots of time.”

hmm

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
Andersson will likely go back to Sweden next season.

Biega will probably be retained and Subban will probably be there. Andersson is surely gone back to Sweden.

Some of the Lafranchise/Ehrhardt types will probably still be around. Negrin never seems to go away.

Yeah, forgot about Subban.

Negrin is like a bad rash that won't go away.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yeah, forgot about Subban.

Negrin is like a bad rash that won't go away.

'Nucks desperately need an offensive d-man....currently getting nothing from their back end.....praying that either or both of Hutton/Subban work out...skilled, active d-man can fundamentally alter a team's offense, particularly on the pp.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Andersson-Sanguinetti
Hutton-Pedan
McEneny-?

Let me make some assumptions and ask some questions. You have Corrado and Biega on the Canucks. Yes? If Bulldog doesn't get resigned he is a free agent.

Sanguinetti has been mistreated by the Canucks. Callups and no ice time probably has a 3 time AHL All-Star with immense offensive abilities walking as a UFA unless Benning is willing to up his paycheck considerably and give him a shot with the Canucks. Based on this season the latter seems unlikely.

Blain and Lafranchise are available. Negrin is still hanging in there. Utica or the Zoo.

Ehrhardt was a one year signing and would have to be resigned in order to be in the picture.

McEneny has to go pro this next season, am I correct? That could be Utica or the Zoo.

Subban and Cederholm are now eligible for the AHL correct? both will be 20.

Can Tryamkin get out of the KHL or is he locked in for another season?

Liberati and Stewart, currently in Jrs, will both be 20. Do they figure into the pros or go an extra year in Jrs.?

All of these issues and questions combine to determine Utica's roster. Trades in the off season could also influence the roster.

We haven't even mentioned what Vancouver does with their already signed NHL D-men. Their roster currently numbers 9 D-men. Corrado and Clendening are among the 9. Their existence directly effects who ends up in Utica. Does Weber stay put? Does Bieksa hold to his NTC? What about Clendening and Corrado? Does someone get traded? All nine can't be in Vancouver. If they keep all of their current vets, Corrado and Clendening don't fit.

There is a lot of stuff to take care of before roster decisions are made for Utica next season. Right now it's anybody's guess beyond Pedan and Andersson.

Last edited:

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Hutton's production has decreased a bit in comparison to last year, but that's to be expected. His goal total was inflated because of a unusually high SH%. What's encouraging though is his shot rate has remained consistent: Over 3 SOG/G is incredibly high for a defenseman.

He might have a future as an offensive-oriented defenseman. Reports say he still has to work out defensive issues though.

I'd like to see Hutton, Subban and McEneny in Utica next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad