The Curious Case of Benjamin Hutton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Hey guys, thought I'd give you some info on Hutton. I did the colour commentary all year for the Nepean Raiders, and I'll tell ya, Hutton can play.

He's a big boy, but not overly physical. He is a very good skater, and has a heavy shot from the point. He was huge in the playoff run for Nepean when they ended up winning the CCHL championship. Had a big OT goal to keep their season alive.

What I like best about him is his poise with the puck. He is very calm and reads the ice very well. Terrific at jumping into the rush with and a good breakout pass.

Also, has some serious sick flow lol. But I'll be interested keeping tabs on him. Was hoping Ottawa would grab him but I think you might have something hear down the road boys.

Cheers

Thanks for the scouting report, much appreciated! Interested to see what he can do at the collegiate level.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Thanks for the scouting report, much appreciated! Interested to see what he can do at the collegiate level.

I'd like to add that he got one goal from centre ice this year, but I'll tell ya, I've never seen goalies have so much trouble on long range shots before. He seems to have a knack for skipping them like a rock on water lol

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Never heard of him, but the draft is very weak this year and I trust the scouting staff(as long as its not the WHL ;).

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
This pick really fits Gillis's MO...get a big, skilled defenseman in the later years and let him develop slowly through college. Not all of Hutton, Price, McNally etc are going to make it as pros, but keep adding enough of these types and SOME will. Can never have too much skill and poise on the backend.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
2701-840.jpg

That looks like the dollar store version of the Stanley Cup

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Now for a 5th rounder, i can handle much more risk.

At these levels if you can get an nhl player you struck gold, if you can get an ahler you did ok.

Great size, and seems to have a ceiling that no one knows how high, due to the weak league.

His production in college will be telling.

The Horvatian One

228 LBS of Pain
Aug 22, 2010
Found Mark on Twitter and this is his Bio

@MarkSeidel
Have worked for Minny Wild as a Scout & ESPN, HNIC The Hockey News as an NHL Draft Insider If you have a question about Prospects, feel free to ask!

This is what he had to say about the Hutton pick...

Great pick by Ken Cook & Vancouver Canucks in Ben Hutton from Nepean in the 5th...Congratulations to Peter Goulet for continuing tradition!

High praise from a rival organization I guess or may be he doesn't work for them no more. Regardless, I messaged him to see what his upside was. I'll report back when I have more news =)

The Horvatian One

228 LBS of Pain
Aug 22, 2010
Found Mark on Twitter and this is his Bio

@MarkSeidel
Have worked for Minny Wild as a Scout & ESPN, HNIC The Hockey News as an NHL Draft Insider If you have a question about Prospects, feel free to ask!

This is what he had to say about the Hutton pick...

High praise from a rival organization I guess or may be he doesn't work for them no more. Regardless, I messaged him to see what his upside was. I'll report back when I have more news =)

As promised with an update in regards to not one but TWO people with Ben Hutton and asked about his potential and his upside..this is what Mark had to say...

Mark Seidel ‏@MarkSeidel
1 of my favorite Tier 2 Defencemen. Project but GREAT value #Future3Or4

And then another person chimed in on Ben

Sheldon Keefe ‏@SheldonKeefe
@MarkSeidel Hutton has great potential. There isn't much he isn't good at. Good size, speed, skill and very smart/poised

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
As promised with an update in regards to not one but TWO people with Ben Hutton and asked about his potential and his upside..this is what Mark had to say...

Mark Seidel ‏@MarkSeidel

And then another person chimed in on Ben

Sheldon Keefe ‏@SheldonKeefe

Pretty much bang on. His poise and smarts really seperate him from other players. Actually, when the Raiders were playing Sheldon Keefe's Pembroke team, the Raiders were down 3-2 in the series, and were in overtime on the road, trying to force a game 7 back in Nepean. And Hutton got the puck at the top of the right point and let an absolute rocket go through traffic, right off the post and in, top corner. Raiders then of course won game 7 to move to the finals against Cornwall, but Hutton was a beast all playoff long. Actually, another dman on Nepean, Ryan Johnston, is going to Cornell, have a feeling NHL teams will be interested in him in a few years. Very offensive dman, him and Hutton were great.

The Horvatian One

228 LBS of Pain
Aug 22, 2010
Pretty much bang on. His poise and smarts really seperate him from other players. Actually, when the Raiders were playing Sheldon Keefe's Pembroke team, the Raiders were down 3-2 in the series, and were in overtime on the road, trying to force a game 7 back in Nepean. And Hutton got the puck at the top of the right point and let an absolute rocket go through traffic, right off the post and in, top corner. Raiders then of course won game 7 to move to the finals against Cornwall, but Hutton was a beast all playoff long. Actually, another dman on Nepean, Ryan Johnston, is going to Cornell, have a feeling NHL teams will be interested in him in a few years. Very offensive dman, him and Hutton were great.

Ahh seems like you have some info that we all seek. I mean Hutton doesn't have too much on him next to what we see in regards to the playoffs which is understandable.

Would you say he was a better two-way defenceman between the two? Who was more physical??

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
@The Kassian Train: Thanks for updating us. Good to know a little more about him at least. It's hard to get info on the guy and what he's like. And thanks to Daffy too for providing us with that insight, always great when it's first-hand.

Is it fair to say we have a scout based in Nepean? Lol Price was from there and only played one year like this Hutton guy.

Maine's an okay school... Lost their best player in Abbott this year. We'll see how they do.

Hey, we do well with D men in the 5th round. I am cautiously positive with this one.

Good observation. If we really do have the largest scouting staff in the league, not surprised about us having scouts all over NA. Though I doubt he'd be listed on CDC. Probably a part time scout.

Once again a D-man in the 5th round which has been working for us lately. Not sure what to make of his numbers though, given Price did put up a higher PPG ratio in the CJHL during his 1st year of draft eligibility.

Found an article on Hutton:
Ben Hutton didn’t make the trip to Pittsburgh, he didn’t even watch the draft on TV.

Instead, he was gone fishing Saturday when the Vancouver Canucks cast out a line of their own and hooked the former Nepean Raiders defenceman in the fifth round (147th overall).

“I didn’t want to get my hopes up,” said the Prescott native.

But then around noon, his phone lit up with a text message from a buddy, and his hopes were confirmed.

“I saw the text, and gave a pretty good holler,” said Hutton, reached on a boat at a Spencerville quarry.

“I caught a bass right after I knew I was drafted, so it’s going pretty good so far.”
http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/06/23/big-day-for-raider-nation

Last edited:

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Ahh seems like you have some info that we all seek. I mean Hutton doesn't have too much on him next to what we see in regards to the playoffs which is understandable.

Would you say he was a better two-way defenceman between the two? Who was more physical??

Hutton's goal was actually game 6 of the finals in ot, not the round before. They won in game 6 OT both series.

Are you asking me to compare between Hutton and Johnston?

Neither player is very physical. I think Hutton has the capability to be however. College should help that. He is very competitive though, moves real well for a guy his size.

I remember before the trade deadline, Hutton was the one dman who I really thought would push Nepean over the top. He was the captain of Kemptville before he came over.

Not sure if you guys care, but having been on the team bus all year, and around the guys, Hutton was very well liked. Real nice kid, good head on his shoulders.

trytobe

Nov 29, 2011
It's nice to have so much first-hand input on this year's draft picks! I can't believe I'm getting so pumped for our 5th/6th/7th prospects. Be interesting to see how far our 2011 picks progressed in one year as well, come prospect camp.

Ontario Hockey fan

Jun 28, 2012
Vancouver fans, keep your eye on this guy. Have seen him play many times and he has all the right tools. He is as poised and composed and has tremendous hockey sense. Great first pass out of own end, or if not there, he can skate it up in a hurry. Great hands, great shot but can stay calm and collected in any situation.

Can also quarterback a power play with the best of them. He was drafted into the OHL years back but elected to go the NCAA route, which is why you haven't heard more about him.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Some more info:

The 19-year-old Hutton, a six-foot, two-inch, 192-pound defenceman was at the camp for a week, home Tuesday night, and felt he had performed well overall.

“It was just like playing another game, just a little faster paced,†he said, noting that on the flight out west, he was pretty nervous.

“They really like my skating but once my legs are stronger, I'll be a faster skater.â€

The team told Hutton to work on his strength, specifically on his core and working on balance. He plans to “hit the gym hard.â€

-----------

“Vancouver still wants me to go to school at Maine,†said Hutton, noting it will be a good place to build his game. “I can play all four years and if I'm good enough to make the jump to the NHL, I can do that sooner.â€

If Vancouver offers a contract to play in the show, however, he'd take it.
http://www.recorder.ca/2012/07/05/hutton-back-from-nhl-camp

AvantiCanada*

For whatever reason, I have a stupid good feeling about this guy.

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
For whatever reason, I have a stupid good feeling about this guy.

For all the "who is that" or "terrible pick" comments during the draft day , most people have come around. This is mostly due to the fact that all focus is on Luongo at this time.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
How has Hutton been this year? At first glance it looks like he took a step back, but his entire team seems to be floundering. They have two different goaltenders compared to last year and his team has not been very successful.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
How has Hutton been this year? At first glance it looks like he took a step back, but his entire team seems to be floundering. They have two different goaltenders compared to last year and his team has not been very successful.

He's ready to turn pro. I felt this season would have been better for him in Utica, but whatever. I'm pretty damn excited about him. Every time I see him play he just jumps out at me. Seems to have a similar calming game like Corrado and Tanev but with more offence, and 6'3 to boot. I think he'll turn heads next season and get a few NHL games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad