Player Discussion The Curious Case of Benjamin Hutton (Part II)

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Ooo I love me a good Hutton article.
Took Green way too long to put him on the first PP and with Edler back, he probably wont get back on there again which is a damn shame.
Agreed. Hutton is already a better passer on the PP than Edler... shame he probably won't be put back there anytime soon.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Really impressive season he's putting together, especially unshackled from big #44.

RFA this summer.

Should be interesting. I can't believe how quiet this thread is. He's one of the best players on the team.

Reactions: Hit the post

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Really impressive season he's putting together, especially unshackled from big #44.

RFA this summer.

Should be interesting. I can't believe how quiet this thread is. He's one of the best players on the team.

What's interesting is that Gubranson was brought into "mentor" our young players, and yet it's becoming increasingly clear he stunted Hutton's development as a player. When paired with a somewhat competent player he looks good.

Reactions: Hit the post

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
I really like this Stecher/Hutton pair. Maybe in March/April we'll be seeing...

Hutton-Stecher
Hughes-Tanev
Edler-Gudbranson

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
One of the biggest bright spots thus far. He has really thrived alongside Stecher.

If he can maintain this level of play going forward it has a big impact on getting this team to the next level. Re-sign Edler and Hutton and the left side is solidified for 3 years. Good balance of size and skill on that left side too.

Reactions: Diamonddog01

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
Virulent Benning haters aren't even bothering anymore to refer to rumours originating from obscure bloggers that no one else reports. Anything you can even think of that's unflattering to Benning is automatically true. It's facts, and logic. Why do you hate logic?

This post is without logic.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Contract year or good 2nd pairing Dman going forward? I'm thinking 3 year deal in the $3.5M range +/- but then Gudbranson.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Said one of Hutton and Pouliot needed to take a step this year. Both did. One stepped up to being a regular NHLer who should be in the line-up every night on most teams. The other has likely stepped right out of the league.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Anyone care to provide the coles notes version of Harman Dayal's athletic article about Hutton to one of the cheapest buggers alive?

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Anyone care to provide the coles notes version of Harman Dayal's athletic article about Hutton to one of the cheapest buggers alive?

Hutton can make a pass but isn't a very good at defending (cue lots of stats). He may be okay as a third pairing guy, but his ice time will probably lead to him getting overpaid on his next contract.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Hutton can make a pass but isn't a very good at defending (cue lots of stats). He may be okay as a third pairing guy, but his ice time will probably lead to him getting overpaid on his next contract.
I don't want to subscribe, but I really want to know the stats, because the way I keep hearing Botch talk about it in the patcast while pumping Stecher's tires, makes me feel like they've left out a lot. Troy gets held up for having better metrics, but that's because he wasn't used in the top 4 until February ie. was sheltered on the 3rd pair against weaker competition, and never had to play a wink with Gudbranson.

Hutton's stats away from Guddy are mostly all in a top 2/4 role and they're excellent.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think Hutton shares some similarities with a primish Bieksa. Nothing special in terms of skill level but overall has a good package of skills who can carry the puck a bit and shoot the puck. He can provide some offense when given the opportunity. Defensively Hutton can be good but like Bieska he's pretty terrible defending down low and can be "Casual Ben."

Hutton's stats away from Guddy are mostly all in a top 2/4 role and they're excellent.

Harman Dayal had an article for the Athletic and he pointed out the fact that while Hutton's stats away from Guddy is much better, his other D partners were Stetcher and Tanev who were good play drivers. I think it's an interesting argument and does make one think twice about overrating Hutton. Statistically, Guddy is doing better away from Hutton in Pittsburgh too if you want to do a with/without comparison.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Ben stepped up this season and was heavily leaned upon by Green when Edler went down with that freakishly weird head first into the ice concussion and then even more so when Tanev went down from being being over played and being on his wrong side.

X5tnRL0.png

Ben acquitted himself very well IMO and based on those insanely high TOIs, Green seems to think so too.

IMO, it's worth our while to keep this player within the organization.

Edler-Tanev
Hutton-Stecher
Hughes-Schenn
Biega

What a great 5th round pick.

Thanks Gilly!

Reactions: DarrenX

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Statistically, Guddy is doing better away from Hutton in Pittsburgh too if you want to do a with/without comparison.

If I remember correctly though, every Canucks dman had better stats away from Guddy than with him., so not sure if that is any indication. I would guess Gudbranson is more related to be playing on a much better team.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
If I remember correctly though, every Canucks dman had better stats away from Guddy than with him., so not sure if that is any indication. I would guess Gudbranson is more related to be playing on a much better team.
It can be explained away at least on the shot metrics by his numbers with Crosby and Malkin.

Same thing that has happened everywhere for Gudbranson throughout his career, everyones numbers are better without him.

Reactions: vanuck

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
He's been great this season. Like others has said, he really stepped up when Edler and Tanev went down.

Why do people want to trade him?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
He's been great this season. Like others has said, he really stepped up when Edler and Tanev went down.

As far as I can tell without reading the athletic article, it's because he's got bad defensive metrics, and even though they're considerably better without Gudbranson, it seems as though the credit is going to the other partner - Stecher.

What I think is probably getting missed in that analysis is Hutton has been playing heavy top 4 minutes ALL year, so his QOC is significantly more difficult overall than Stecher's, who was only thrust into top 4 minutes after Edler fell on his face in early February.

The other part is that he's an RFA and people are worried about committing too much capspace to the guy who has bad metrics.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
My candidate to be included in some sort of trade package with another team. An RFA who's due a raise on his $2.8m salary. Unless you're convinced the guy could one day be a top-four d-man, time to move on....too much money for a 5-7 depth guy.

I know I'll get flamed for suggesting it, but the Canucks would be better off bringing back Pouliot at $700- 800 grand a season than paying what Hutton and his agent will be asking for.

If Edler re-signs, then the future of the Canuck left side is probably Edler-Hughes-Juolevi with Brisebois/Sautner as depth guys anyway.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

Because his it is a good time to sell high. He is due a significant raise and his numbers are really that not good. After the last 2 years of a very poor defence you cannot bring back all of Edler, Tanev, Stecher, Hutton and just tinker with the 6,7, 8. Some significant has to change or it will be more of the same shit. Most veterans on this team should be open for trade discussion for the right deal. The supporting cast for the young core 4 simply has to be looked at and improved.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Because his it is a good time to sell high. He is due a significant raise and his numbers are really that not good. After the last 2 years of a very poor defence you cannot bring back all of Edler, Tanev, Stecher, Hutton and just tinker with the 6,7, 8. Some significant has to change or it will be more of the same ****. Most veterans on this team should be open for trade discussion for the right deal. The supporting cast for the young core 4 simply has to be looked at and improved.

Hutton is really not that good. If we can get a pick in the first three rounds for him I’d be ecstatic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad