Player Discussion The Curious Case of Benjamin Hutton (Part II)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Jimbo would have said 'no' to Kane even he'd become a UFA. The last thing this young team needs at this point in its evolution.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I would have to give credit to Benning for not doing so if true. And this is coming from someone who dislikes Benning as much as anyone else.

Reactions: Wo Yorfat

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I liked Kane. The contract he signed is a bit rich but not unreasonable for a 27 year old whom you think is going to put up close to 30 goals and especially after his playoff performance. If you don't think he can stay healthy and has attitude problems then you're getting a 20 goal 40 point guy who plays around 60-65 games for $7M. Still beats Eriksson's contract but no issues with going a different path.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Very happy to see Hutton rebounding after last year. His game isn't perfect, but I would argue he's been our best defenseman not named Edler or Tanev this year. He has some good quick shifts in tight down low in his own end to get out of danger - still struggles with big matchups and battles, but he's using his body more effectively to separate players from the pucks than he has before as well.

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
I definitely didn't see this coming, but Hutton looks miles better this season, and perhaps he has come out better from what he must have perceived as unfair criticism and treatment from his coach. It would have been easy to complain and demand a trade, but since that didn't happen he shut his mouth and went to work to get better. Even if he has no intention of staying here under Green, he did this in the best interest of his own career and the organization will at least benefit from this while he is under team control.

Should this continue, we may have the top 4 defenseman we thought we were getting after his rookie season. That piece is so incredibly critical if this team is going to compete anytime in the next 3 seasons or so.

Reactions: Canucks1096

Gaunce4gm

Trusted Hockey Man
Dec 5, 2015
Victoria B.C.
Everyone keeps saying he's "rebounding" after last year. He was fine last year. All of his stats had him firmly as the teams 3rd or 4th best D. He's just actually being given an opportunity this year and he's running with it.

I love Hutton I'm glad he's showing what we all knew he could be.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Everyone keeps saying he's "rebounding" after last year. He was fine last year. All of his stats had him firmly as the teams 3rd or 4th best D. He's just actually being given an opportunity this year and he's running with it.

Yeah this. He actually performed last year too, only this year he's actually been given rope by Green.

Reactions: timw33

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

I thought he started the year fine and even had a stretch of really good play for a bit early in the season next to Tanev and was regularly playing upwards of 25 minutes from games 7-15. But as Green started to cut his minutes and sit him he seemed to lose confidence and wasn't making the offense plays we saw from him early in his career and so far this season. The fact that he only had 6 assists and no goals in 61 games was pretty telling

Last edited:

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Here's a question for y'all. How much do you think Hutton's contract extension will be? I'd say somewhere around 3-4 million depending on how he plays the rest of the year.

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
Kudos to Hutton, he's far exceeded any expectations I had for him. He's still going to have rough patches but for the most part the extra weight and time he put in last summer really shows now and he's certainly put the bad camp behind him. Can he remain at this level or close to it?

rocketchu

Mar 22, 2017
He has been much better, and all credit to him for putting the work in over the summer, but I would be hesitant to pay him $4 million per as ultimately he is still an average skater which is not a good thing for a guy whose style relies so heavily on skating ability.

Reactions: Hit the post

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
I can't believe JB said no to Evander Kane for Hutton
Virulent Benning haters aren't even bothering anymore to refer to rumours originating from obscure bloggers that no one else reports. Anything you can even think of that's unflattering to Benning is automatically true. It's facts, and logic. Why do you hate logic?

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver

Not an unfair comment. But, SOMETHING was going on behind the scenes last year to influence that. Maybe Hutton just wasn’t being a professional and it wouldn’t have sent the right message to his team mates to give him a top notch opportunity? Whatever it was, he’s getting it now.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
So should Hutton have said coach is a moron there’s nothing wrong with my conditioning?

If he questions the coach then half of you would paint his as a locker room problem.

I take greens comments as him using t for a reason to play pouliot last year and avoid media scrutiny, Hutton just shut his mouth and agreed with what the coach said to get his ice time.
Perhaps is a good motivator for Hutton. That the Coach sat him and played Pouliot couldnt be more humiliatiting. If that didnt lite a fire under his butt then NOTHING would

And it worked, Huttons a beauty this year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->