Post-Game Talk: The Curious Case of Benjamin Hutton -- Canucks win 1-0 (Yes we McCann.) -- Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Be interesting to see how Vey responds to the demotion/benching. Has to be feeling like this is the last chance for him tonight.

This will be a hard test to say the least. A lot of youth for the canucks so they'll get a decent feel on how the kids perform against some stiff competition with little protection/support.

It's nice to see how they are using Horvat to anchor the "second" team up front.

Mudshark50

Nov 25, 2005
NorthVancouver
I think he's going to get it, and that it was pre-determined that he was going to get it before training camp started.

I don't think he deserves it or it does anything really for the team or his development. He doesn't look ready.

I'm not sure how having him around NHL players for 9 games isn't going to help with his development.

The kids got talent and even putting him with the Sedins for a few shifts in a game is good for his development, if only to get a taste of that style of play.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
The one issue with the defense situation is that Corrado is still a serviceable defenseman. I know he's been trending downwards year-by-year, but as we all know, we'll have injuries. If we keep Hutton up, that means we either trade Corrado or risk losing him to waivers, and considering his age, he might get picked up. In that situation, if we get injuries on the backend, now we're in a worse position than we were before.

However, if we send Hutton down, he can be the first call up and still grow playing a prominent role in Utica. It would just be a matter of time before he plays for the Canucks. As much as I'd love for Hutton to be on the roster, in terms of asset management, it just doesn't make sense. McCann's situation is different because once you send him down, you can't call him back up.

With that said, I'm not one to wish injuries upon anyone but... well, I can do with fewer pizzas.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Sedin Sedin Burrows - Will perform as expected 60-65 pts from each Sedin. 25 G for Burr
Sven Horvat Vrbata - Big ? here...could easily fail.
Hansen Sutter Higgins - Can easily hold their own as a 3rd line
Gaunce McCann Dorsett - Some skill, Grit, etc. Alot depends on McCanns 2waygame
Prust Vey (trade Vey)

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Bartowski - Hutton
Sbisa

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
The one issue with the defense situation is that Corrado is still a serviceable defenseman. I know he's been trending downwards year-by-year, but as we all know, we'll have injuries. If we keep Hutton up, that means we either trade Corrado or risk losing him to waivers, and considering his age, he might get picked up. In that situation, if we get injuries on the backend, now we're in a worse position than we were before.

However, if we send Hutton down, he can be the first call up and still grow playing a prominent role in Utica. It would just be a matter of time before he plays for the Canucks. As much as I'd love for Hutton to be on the roster, in terms of asset management, it just doesn't make sense. McCann's situation is different because once you send him down, you can't call him back up.

For sure, but this where the wrong message can be sent. Not often do you get a rookie D scoring at PPG rate and still playing well defensively.

Aside from contract situation, Corrado has not done anything to put Hutton in Utica. It'd be like having Vey over McCann because of contract, and not performance.

mdobbs

Oct 21, 2010
For sure, but this where the wrong message can be sent. Not often do you get a rookie D scoring at PPG rate and still playing well defensively.

Aside from contract situation, Corrado has not done anything to put Hutton in Utica. It'd be like having Vey over McCann because of contract, and not performance.

This is a regular occurrence in the NHL

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Right now I'd send both down and keep Biega. Corrado doesn't deserve to be here and there's no way you keep Hutton as a #7 to park in the pressbox.

If someone gets hurt in the last 3 games, then I'd keep Hutton as the #6 to start the year.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
Right now I'd send both down and keep Biega. Corrado doesn't deserve to be here and there's no way you keep Hutton as a #7 to park in the pressbox.

If someone gets hurt in the last 3 games, then I'd keep Hutton as the #6 to start the year.

Really need that season ending injury to Sbisa to happen.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North

You can't expect Hutton to keep up this scoring pace and maintain his consistency throughout the season. But like I said, I'm on your side of this. Hutton brings parts of the game that no other defenseman on this team does. I would be perfectly fine with dealing with his struggles when they come.

As mentioned, McCann is different because of his AHL ineligibility. In the Vey situation, you're saying McCann can't be in the NHL for the entire year, whereas with Hutton, the message would simply be "You've been great here, but we don't have the deepest blue-line and injuries always come, so we want you to go down to Utica, take charge of that d-corps, and be ready for the first call-up when the time comes."

That's not so bad.

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015

^^^ Ya, what skipowder said quicker than i did.

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
Corrado has been decent and can play at this level.....

question is are you willing to throw him out to another team because of not managing your resources.

I would love Hutton in the lineup.....now......................BUT

carrado or sbisa or webber or bart would be picked up on waivers....corrado has to clear waivers ???

anyways you do have more variety in waiving a vey ...forwards less likely to be picked up as opposed to dmen

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015
Here's a wild stab at it...

Baertschi - Horvat - Virtanen
Prust - Vey - Dorsett
Gaunce - McCann - Hansen
Kenins - Cracknell - Grenier

Edler - Tanev
Bartkowski - Corrado
Hutton - Biega

Miller
Markstrom

If Vey is on this roster, that will be his most likely line-up, so he has to make it work. Baertschi with an opportunity to make some chemistry with Horvat. Ditto goes for Virtanen, who you can't switch with Hansen since that leaves 3 rookies on one line, which won't realistically happen. That leaves you with your fourth line.

On defense, I was tempted to play Hutton with Tanev, but you need that top shutdown pairing. If Corrado is to outplay Hutton, it'll be on a line with Bartkowski or Sbisa, so that fills the rest out.

:dunno:

Interesting lineup tonight. Miller is going to get a workout.

I was hoping to see them give Vey a try on left wing as a last ditch effort. Instead I think Willie is going to feed him minutes again to see if he can find any sort of chemistry at all.

I think we will see

Baertschi-Horvat-Hansen Horvat and Hansen played well together last year and that would be a pretty good line with Baertschi is a skill upgrade over Kenins from last year.
Gaunce-McCann-Dorsett
Kenins-Vey-Virtanen
Prust-Cracknell-Grenier.

mcCann is going to get either Dorsett or Prust, or both. If he ousts Vey from the lineup they are going to want to see how he does in that 4C role with at least one of the facepunchers on his line.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
You can't expect Hutton to keep up this scoring pace and maintain his consistency throughout the season. But like I said, I'm on your side of this. Hutton brings parts of the game that no other defenseman on this team does. I would be perfectly fine with dealing with his struggles when they come.

As mentioned, McCann is different because of his AHL ineligibility. In the Vey situation, you're saying McCann can't be in the NHL for the entire year, whereas with Hutton, the message would simply be "You've been great here, but we don't have the deepest blue-line and injuries always come, so we want you to go down to Utica, take charge of that d-corps, and be ready for the first call-up when the time comes."

That's not so bad.

Well said. At this point, I'd rather just sit Weber and play Hutton until he hits a bump in the road. Then sit Hutton for a game or 2 at the press box and play him again. I think he's ready to play here now.

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Sbisa
Bartkowski - Hutton

or

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Hutton
Bartkowski - Sbisa
(Weber)

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
Well said. At this point, I'd rather just sit Weber and play Hutton until he hits a bump in the road. Then sit Hutton for a game or 2 at the press box and play him again. I think he's ready to play here now.

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Sbisa
Bartkowski - Hutton

or

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Hutton
Bartkowski - Sbisa
(Weber)

So lose Corrado to waivers?

Vtownfan

Jul 8, 2015

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Sbisa
Bartkowski - Hutton

or

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Hutton
Bartkowski - Sbisa
(Weber)

i don't know Hutton is ready to break into the big leagues playing on his offside. One of the reason Benning went and got Bartkowski is he can and has played on his offside.

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Bartkowski
Hutton/Sbisa-Weber

If Corrado does stick it will be because he was literally the ONLY guy other than Edler who Sbisa played with last year and was a positive puck possession pairing.

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Bartkowski
Sbisa-Corrado
Weber

Hutton to utica.

That is how I think it will wash out to start the season.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
Interesting lineup tonight. Miller is going to get a workout.

I was hoping to see them give Vey a try on left wing as a last ditch effort. Instead I think Willie is going to feed him minutes again to see if he can find any sort of chemistry at all.

I think we will see

Baertschi-Horvat-Hansen Horvat and Hansen played well together last year and that would be a pretty good line with Baertschi is a skill upgrade over Kenins from last year.
Gaunce-McCann-Dorsett
Kenins-Vey-Virtanen
Prust-Cracknell-Grenier.

mcCann is going to get either Dorsett or Prust, or both. If he ousts Vey from the lineup they are going to want to see how he does in that 4C role with at least one of the facepunchers on his line.

You bring up a good point. I'm not sure about the rest of the lineup, but I guess this would be his first opportunity to play with Prust and Dorsett to see what he can do. Vey has played with them twice already, so maybe now it's McCann's chance to do the same. If he gets put on that line and plays well, it may be the nail in the coffin for Vey.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I wouldn't consider waiving Corrado "gutting our defense" but then again, given his play, I may have him further down the depth chart than most.

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
I wouldn't consider waiving Corrado "gutting our defense" but then again, given his play, I may have him further down the depth chart than most.

He's still on par with Biega even with his poor passing. Despite his problems with puck he's still been strong defensively. Hutton in the pressbox is a waste of an asset. I guess it depends whether you think either Biega or Corrado could be claimed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad