Post-Game Talk: The Curious Case of Benjamin Hutton -- Canucks win 1-0 (Yes we McCann.) -- Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
I agree. I completely agree.

But who do you play with the twins?

Hansen?

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
Baertschi - Horvat - Vrbata
Burrows - Sutter - Dorsett
Gaunce - McCann - someone?

I don't know how to balance this.

I know it's ridiculous and he would be playing on his off wing, but I'd love to see Gaunce get a game with the Sedins. I've had this feeling for a long time that he'd be a good fit even though when I try and think it out it doesn't make much sense. I guess I want to see it really fail before I'll believe it.

Missed the game, so thanks to all those that posted game evaluations.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Was at the game tonight. Some thoughts

Didn't like:

Our defense- just an awful game at transitioning the puck and making crisp breakout plays.

Corrado- didn't mind his positioning and thought process but just couldn't make a crisp clean pass. A little too much hesitation. He's never gonna be a physical specimen so his transition game has to be his bread and butter. Needs to get better quickly....his preseason has been a little concerning but I'm starting to think he's just a slow starter.

Sbisa- loved the start of his game. A few beauty hits was really moving his legs seemed fairly in control. Then all of a sudden the wheels came off. Started with a bad turnover and before long he had in my count 7 terrible plays and turn overs. Physically he seemed to tire and looked less and less confident. Scary

Vey- actually didn't mind the start of his game also. Seemed to have some determination and jump to his game made some nifty passes and showed his slick hands. And then just like Sbisa he started to struggle. Losing faceoffs, puck battles, looking stiff and progressively desperate, frustrated and lost. This is a fractured player at the moment without an identity.

Meh:
Sedin's, Hamhuis and Burrows- pedestrian efforts
Kenins- largely unnoticeable. But looked decent with Sutter and Burrows at times.
Fedun- not to pick on the guy but he's just not NHL quality. Played hard.
Grenier- I think Orcatown nailed it. Decent offensively. Lacking in the other 2 zones.

Liked:
Vrbata- Had some jump in his step tonight

Markstrom- was really impressed with the sharpness to his movements. He also exhibits tremendous quickness for such a huge goalie. A lot to like here.

Weber- skated miles and looks more and more poised. He did have a few moments here and there. Definitely our #4 at this stage and he continues to grow his game.

Hutton- I didn't think he was a standout or anything but a few things stood out for me. His hockey IQ is extremely high. Made quick adjustments.....adapted to a board squeeze with looping dumps to center ice and Looks players off. His physical attributes.....he has great hands and feet which open lanes and can really quarterback a PP. Still adjusting to gaps and when and when not to challenge forwards. Has a very high ceiling.

Virtanen- wasn't a great game for Jake.. Mostly I feel due to a lacking effort from the Sedin's. What I liked is he's got speed to burn...almost broke through a couple times off the rush. Is pretty poised, he's obviously a hitting machine and didn't look outta place. Being at the game allowed a good view of him coming back deep turning and excelerating up ice. It's pretty impressive.

Sutter- definitely see some of the passive nature that Pens fans disliked. Had a terrible night on the dot. On the positive though.....excellent skater and shuts down lanes with aplomb. Is able to apply back pressure instinctively and swiftly. Also has good hands and so far I've been pleased with his passing and on ice vision.

Baertschi- was extremely disappointed until tonight with his play. Tonight though....Different story. His hands are silky smooth, he does everything with creativity and just oozes talent. Is able to turn on a dime and lay flat saucer paces all over the place. He's definitely slight and does seem to shy away from contact a little too much but I loved the play along the boards where he initiated a hit with a Coyote defender.

McCann- I hate to start throwing comparisons around at this early stage, but that goal and the way he skates and shoots is eerily reminiscent to Joe Sakic. I think we've got a special player here folks... Back to reality....started a little lost on the wing. Got switched with a struggling Vey and then just took off. Has a 3 zone game, can turn on a dime, has excellent vision, awareness, passing, first step and top end speed. It's gonna be tough to keep this play going but at this point he has to be a lock for at least 9 games. Really exciting player.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I was impressed by the first shift or two of that Vey line and would have posted such if I wasn't watching it on record but it was downhill from there for Vey. Baertschi had some flashes and I would consider this his best preseason game but it's still not good enough.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The way McCann is playing...you can't keep this guy off the team.

With a healthy lineup, if McCann can stick...there are options. Maybe something like...

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Kenins-Horvat-Hansen
Higgins-Sutter-Burrows
Baertschi-McCann-Dorsett

Alternatively:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Kenins-Horvat-Hansen
Baertschi-Sutter-Burrows
Higgins-McCann-Dorsett

*if you really want to insulate McCann early.

I wonder if that former option might not work.

-Sedins+Vrbata obviously worked...they went away from it but, it was pretty great until they broke it up for "depth" and a "changeup". I mean, Vrby had a pretty good year playing with the Sedins. Go back to the well?

-Kenins-Bo-Honeybadger was an undeniably good line when united. It's a line you can load up with hard starts and is just a nightmare to contain all that size/speed/physicality on the forecheck and the cycle game. They just seem to work together and can grind opposing defences down until the puck eventually gets mashed into the net.

-Sutter and Burrows looked like a natural fit - instant chemistry. And on paper, it makes so much sense. Throw Higgy out there (maybe Gaunce in the interim?) and you've got a monster checking line that can dominate possession. And they're going to score goals off that.

-Then you throw McCann out there with a super-skilled guy to work with in Baertschi so he's not just on an island with plugs, and you have Dorsett cruising around as the Grunt for the line making hits, crashing the net, fighting people who done wronged out Kids and all that. Would have to be careful with matchups there...but McCann has shown through the preseason that he's impressively sound defensively in terms of positioning and responsibility at center.

Based on what i've seen so far...i'd actually be pretty excited to watch that. I think that's a team that truly lives up to the 1-2-3-4 billing.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
If I was coach my opening roster would be:

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Baertschi Horvat Vrbata
Gaunce Sutter Hansen
Virtanen McCann Dorsett

Edler Tanev
Hamhuis Weber
Hutton Bartkowski

Markstrom

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Baertschi Horvat Vrbata
Gaunce Sutter Hansen
Virtanen McCann Dorsett

Edler Tanev
Hamhuis Weber
Hutton Bartkowski

Markstrom

Not bad.

Realistic chances of Sbisa sitting in the press box are like 2%.

4th line is bad though. Rather have Gaunce with McCann so that Gaunce and McCann can carry Dorsett defensively. Virtanen goes to the minors and have Kenins next to sutter.

Last edited:

vanarchy

May 3, 2013

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Baertschi Horvat Vrbata
Gaunce Sutter Hansen
Virtanen McCann Dorsett

Edler Tanev
Hamhuis Weber
Hutton Bartkowski

Markstrom

tumblr_inline_mgv01qbWPt1r5c8sb.gif

Jake looks like he might need another year and Dorsett on the other side? This doesn't end well.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
tumblr_inline_mgv01qbWPt1r5c8sb.gif

Jake looks like he might need another year and Dorsett on the other side? This doesn't end well.

Yeah.

I mean, i'm really excited about Virtanen still...but he hasn't looked ready, at all.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I'd like to see McCann at centre with some linemates that he would likely have if he was going to make the team. Hansen has some solid wheels and I could see him being a decent fit with McCann. Don't know who I would put on the other side.

He's definitely exceeded my expectations and I want to see him get an extended look.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Boring game and a terrible performance for 50 minutes until cranking it on a bit in the last 10. Few good performances aside from Markstrom. Pretty much all the veterans mailed it in.

- Markstrom was our best player and got us the win. Should be the opening night starter but won't be. How much fun would it have been to see Lack and Markstrom duke it out here?

- Corrado just doesn't have it. Time to waive him. Almost impossible to believe this is the same player who was such a standout in camp in 2012 and 2013. Looks to have no confidence at all, always on the back foot.

- Hutton has clearly passed Corrado. Play got behind him a bit at times tonight but he generally reacted well and moved the puck well. Playing with confidence and moving the play forward. Right now, the top 6 look pretty set (unless they come to their senses on Sbisa) so I think he goes to Utica because you don't want him sitting as the #7 guy. That said, if somebody gets hurt, you look at keeping him if he can get consistent game action.

- Sbisa actually had a really good first period ... and then the wheels fell off and he returned to being his usual possession disaster/turnover machine. Weber skated better tonight. Fedun continues to tread water and look like a useful call up type.

- hugely disappointing game for Virtanen. Threw a couple good hits early but otherwise did nothing again. Has contributed to 1 scoring chance in 3 games - which was a nice goal for him - and simply not up to speed. Does not deserve 9 games unless we see something magical in his next game.

- McCann struggled in the first half of the game on the wing but really looked good back at center I'm the 3rd. Easily outplaying Virtanen. Difficult decision on what to do with him because he looks good enough to keep ... but the top 3 center spots are set and you don't want him skating around with Dorsett and Prust.

- better game for Baertschi away from Sutter. Still not great but was much better and more involved.

- Vey looks done. Had one good shift early, then faded and benched. Expect him to be waived soon. Just not an NHL player. Hopefully the organization has finally seen the light here.

- Grenier struggled tonight, a couple poor defensive shifts and has never really got it going offensively. Should be gone in next round of cuts.

- Kenins is adequate but looks like he's thinking too hard about defensive positioning and has lost his mojo a bit. Needs to move his feet and play more naturally.

- Sutter looked better late which was good to see.

- Cracknell looks serviceable. Does little things well and doesn't hurt you. Wonder if his footspeed will be more exposed when pace gets faster.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Boring game and a terrible performance for 50 minutes until cranking it on a bit in the last 10. Few good performances aside from Markstrom. Pretty much all the veterans mailed it in.

- Markstrom was our best player and got us the win. Should be the opening night starter but won't be. How much fun would it have been to see Lack and Markstrom duke it out here?

- Corrado just doesn't have it. Time to waive him. Almost impossible to believe this is the same player who was such a standout in camp in 2012 and 2013. Looks to have no confidence at all, always on the back foot.

- Hutton has clearly passed Corrado. Play got behind him a bit at times tonight but he generally reacted well and moved the puck well. Playing with confidence and moving the play forward. Right now, the top 6 look pretty set (unless they come to their senses on Sbisa) so I think he goes to Utica because you don't want him sitting as the #7 guy. That said, if somebody gets hurt, you look at keeping him if he can get consistent game action.

- Sbisa actually had a really good first period ... and then the wheels fell off and he returned to being his usual possession disaster/turnover machine. Weber skated better tonight. Fedun continues to tread water and look like a useful call up type.

- hugely disappointing game for Virtanen. Threw a couple good hits early but otherwise did nothing again. Has contributed to 1 scoring chance in 3 games - which was a nice goal for him - and simply not up to speed. Does not deserve 9 games unless we see something magical in his next game.

- McCann struggled in the first half of the game on the wing but really looked good back at center I'm the 3rd. Easily outplaying Virtanen. Difficult decision on what to do with him because he looks good enough to keep ... but the top 3 center spots are set and you don't want him skating around with Dorsett and Prust.

- better game for Baertschi away from Sutter. Still not great but was much better and more involved.

- Vey looks done. Had one good shift early, then faded and benched. Expect him to be waived soon. Just not an NHL player. Hopefully the organization has finally seen the light here.

- Grenier struggled tonight, a couple poor defensive shifts and has never really got it going offensively. Should be gone in next round of cuts.

- Kenins is adequate but looks like he's thinking too hard about defensive positioning and has lost his mojo a bit. Needs to move his feet and play more naturally.

- Sutter looked better late which was good to see.

- Cracknell looks serviceable. Does little things well and doesn't hurt you. Wonder if his footspeed will be more exposed when pace gets faster.

Really can't disagree with much of this.

I would say, no, it's not time to waive Corrado.

I get the sentiment...but at this point...i guess just keep him here, let him sit and practice and he's the spare. "Overcooking" in the AHL hasn't done anything for him it seems...just keep him around and if he can't hack it as a fill-in, start calling guys up.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Are you people the same ones that spent most of the summer flipping out about benning trading away some of the vets to make room for young talent????? Maybe they knew what they were doing after all.........

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Are you people the same ones that spent most of the summer flipping out about benning trading away some of the vets to make room for young talent????? Maybe they knew what they were doing after all.........

Benning only really made 1 move to make room for the prospects and no one really complained about it. In fact it one of Bennings least criticized moves.

The Bieksa trade.

I don't consider Lack a vet. More a "foundation piece".

Also, best not to start out with "You people" makes you seem like you are generalizing.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

We flipped out because they traded Kassian and a pick for Prust (terrible value) and Lack for a pick (terrible value). It had nothing to do with roster spots, our beef was that management claimed it opened up spots when it doesn't. Nobody really minded the Bieksa trade, although we all agree Sbisa should have probably been the first to go, ahead of Bieksa.

Prust fills Kassian's spot, and is worse, and we lost a pick.
Markstrom fills Lack's spot, and that's good, but he should be filling Miller's spot and backing up Lack.

So no, we're not the same people as the imaginary people in your head.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Highlight of the game was probably Gaunce and Bo looking slim in the press box. Future GM and President.

Getting acquainted with the view from above for when his playing days are over (hopefully a long time in future though!). :nod:

If they have a vet in the press box this season I'd rather it was Higgins than Prust.

Wut. Seriously, all of my wut.

Last edited:

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Tough call, but I'd go:
Sedin-Sedin-Kassian
Kenins-Horvat-Vrbata
Baertschi-McCann-Hansen
Burrows-Sutter-Dorsett
Gaunce-Higgins

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Garrison
Bartowski-Weber
Hutton-Corrado

Lack
Markstrom

We might even compete for the division title with that lineup.

That would be infinitely better than what we currently have.

It honestly seems like Benning and co. Stopped watching hockey after the 2011-2012 season.

Prust 27yo just finished a 13 goal , 29pt season
Sutter 22yo 17goals, 32 pt season
Heck even Sbisa looked good back then. Career high 5 goals 24 pts. 21 year old.
Miller 31yo, a few years removed from his vezina, top 5 goalie in the league.
Baertschi 3 goals in 5 games . 18 year old. (emergency call up from jr)

What is more insulting is that the mass population of HF knew that Miller, Prust, were on the decline. The ducks and Penguins fans told as straight up what was wrong with Sbisa and Sutter. They were right. One is a cap dump (we manage to pay him more money, for more years making the cap dump worse, limiting ourselves to signing Franson) Sutter is exactly what they said. Good skater, good shot, can't distribute the puck, not physical, and not top 6 material.

:cry:

You could hire an average HF'er as GM and they'd do better than the guy currently being paid thousands and thousands of dollars. Seriously.

Last edited:

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I agree. I completely agree.

But who do you play with the twins?

Hansen?

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
Gaunce - McCann - someone?

I don't know how to balance this.

Hansen with the Sedin's never works out.

Sedin - Sedin - Kenins
Gaunce - McCann - Hansen
Prust

No way they're gonna sit Prust, though... and Virtanen probably also makes the team despite an underwhelming pre-season.

Nov 1, 2011
Not original but this is how I see it. Doubt we'll see all or any of Bennings guys at the back of the bus though.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
(Higgins) Gaunce - Horvat - Vrbata
Hansen - Sutter - Doresett
Baertschi - McCann - Kenins
Vey - Prust

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Bartowski - Hutton
Sbisa

Markstrom
Miller

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Wut. Seriously, all of my wut.

If guys have lost their spot, I'd rather keep the more versatile Higgins than Prust for the thirteenth forward.

The way Prust has played it looks like he is not a top twelve player any more. So, do you keep him for leadership or keep somebody useful on the ice?

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Not original but this is how I see it. Doubt we'll see all or any of Bennings guys at the back of the bus though.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
(Higgins) Gaunce - Horvat - Vrbata
Hansen - Sutter - Doresett
Baertschi - McCann - Kenins
Vey - Prust

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Bartowski - Hutton
Sbisa

Markstrom
Miller

I really like this lineup.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Comments from my jet lag addled brain:

I'll start with the three I saw as the worst performers:

Vey - started off with some strong shifts in the first and then quietly faded into the background and finally found himself demoted. The demotion was good to see as it would seem to suggest Willie may not have patience with him. He's 24. If an NHL player the pre-season should be the easiest thing in the world for him and he's simply struggling. Nothing more than a AHL-NHL tweener.

Sbisa - see Vey.

Corrado - still find it hard to believe he has stagnated so completely the last couple of season. But he has. Not making quick enough decisions. Not making smart plays.

The three stars:

Markstrom - really showed something he hasn't really shown at the NHL level and that was being solid. Pucks weren't getting through him. Very strong performance. Will be interesting to see what happens when he hits a rough patch and if he can get himself out of it.

Baertschi - the kid has skills but we all knew that. He makes some nifty plays and is still too perimeter for my liking. But he had a strong game and finally engaged physically when he made the reverse hit. If he adds that willingness to engage physically to the point he's doing it consistently then he can become a player that the Flames gave up on waiting for. If he sticks to the perimeter he'll be in Europe sooner rather than later. BUt again he had a strong game.

McCann - he was thrown a curve ball by having to play the wing and at times he struggled a bit. He often drifted back in the defensive zone to provide coverage he would normally do as a center (Credit to Cracknell early on for recognizing this and adjusting). However, he made some nice plays and worked his way up the lineup waving to Vey who was on his way down the lineup. McCann to me, if he continues to improve, is the type of kid you don't mind sheltering on the 4th line and getting PP time. His puck movement appears to be NHL caliber...and getting better each game. Defensively he also thinks the game well.

Some other comments:

Sutter - poor first two periods. But as I stated last night while he isn't a top 6 player he also isn't a bad player. He finally showed up in the third and looked good. but anyone expecting an in your face, gritty player Benning promised should by now realize that he isn't that guy.

Virtanen - He doesn't appear ready but then again he also did some nice things on the physical end of things. Offensively, he is struggling with the speed of the game. But as I've said, for a kid in his predicament (no AHL) it's not so much is he ready now but will he be ready in March if he stays in the NHL. Horvat wasn't ready last year to start but certainly was at the end. The same can be said for McCann. It's important they get the decision correct because on one hand you can have Horvat who ended up excelling or Draisatl who really didn't.

Personally I think Vey should be on waivers today. Even if McCann hasn't "won" the spot it should be clear to this management team that Vey has lost it and they can't move forward with him. Yes I'm that down on the guy. He's showing that it wasn't really about muscle or strength last year but all those other things. He's showing that he didn't make the Kings because they were loaded with youth but rather because he got passed on the depth chart and wasn't good enough (similar to Clendening).

I don't normally advocate 4 or 5 rookies in a lineup but when the alternatives are guys like Prust, Vey, Sbisa etc I think you have to consider it. I do think given the realities of AHL eligibility that McCann and Virtanen will be on the roster. Gaunce and Hutton may be sent back down but I think if the strong play continues you look to those two being incorporated into the big club the back half of the year. They have earned being the first call ups provided their play doesn't drop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad