Post-Game Talk: The Curious Case of Benjamin Hutton -- Canucks win 1-0 (Yes we McCann.) -- Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
This is exciting. I don't care if this is a losing season as long as players that deserve to play, play. If our young guys progress, the game result is insignificant to me this year. Wooo!

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
I'd rather watch young players score than watch the team win.

Is that sad? I just really want youth in this team.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
What does Benning/Willie think of Hansen ?
I doubt they move on from Vey yet, and if McCann makes his way onto the team, maybe a Hansen trade is in the works, and they shift Vey to RW again ?

I mean
I know it's preseason
But man, McCann is definitely making a name for himself

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Theres a line up and its the only one

Sedins kenins
baertschi horvat vrbata
burrows mccann hansen
gaunce sutter dorsett
virtanen prust

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
What does Benning/Willie think of Hansen ?
I doubt they move on from Vey yet, and if McCann makes his way onto the team, maybe a Hansen trade is in the works, and they shift Vey to RW again ?

I mean
I know it's preseason
But man, McCann is definitely making a name for himself

Hansen is too useful. Solid vet, can insulate McCann or help on a grinding line with Sutter or Horvat. Add his PK skills, and there's no way he'd be traded instead of Vey. Vey literally brings nothing to the table.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

Sedins kenins
baertschi horvat vrbata
burrows mccann hansen
gaunce sutter dorsett
virtanen prust

That's definitely not it.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Baertschi - Horvat - Vrbata
Gaunce - Sutter - Hansen
Something - McCann - Dorsett

To start the season is my lineup.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Gong show in the first two periods in their own end and Markstrom certainly had to bail them out. Showed some signs (finally) of cohesion in the third and maybe something to build off.

Liked

Markstrom - looks so big and confident. Looks like he is finally realizing the immense potential that most saw for him. Absurd in hindsight that Benning exposed him to waivers. Problem might be that if Markstrom is too good might ruin any chance for lottery pick (something the Canucks truly need). However, management will probably go with Miller which should improve lottery possibilities

McCann - looked lost on the wing and only emerged when he was given some decent linemates. Wicked shot on the goal. If they keep Vey over McCann there should be a revolt.

Baertschi - by far his best effort. Couple of nice dangles and good compete along the boards. Needs to get away from Sutter.

Cracknell - other than wiping out Grenier had a good game. Was a presence around the net. Skating wasn't as big an issue in this game although there were times he got tied up in his own zone. (but you could say this about almost everyone). Cracknell should not be in the NHL but give him some credit for looking dangerous in this game.

Hutton - not perfect but holding his own. Two things to like are his intelligent puck movement and his ability to recover back if the puck is moved past him. Very good first step and has NHL size. Maybe the best of the young players to date. Right now better than Corrado

Kenins - thought he had an effective game. Needs to be in a checking role

Weber - doing a good job of lugging the puck out of trouble. I think he is clearly in your top 4.

Did Not Like

Grenier - showed his big asset - speed and stick handling from the blue line in but otherwise was clumsy and often out of position. Looked confused in his own end and too slow in reacting to the play. Would think he is headed down soon.

Sbisa - Liked his physical play early but got real sloppy as the game went on. Has got to use his wheels to shorten up his passes and support play in the neutral zone. Guy has some periods of good play but then seems to tire and stop skating.

Vey - terrible. How much do they have to see. Made a couple of cute passes but he is a wreck in his own end and most of shifts were spent uselessly chasing around after people in his own end. Looked dispirited and beat and probably just wants out. I think that last year he was Willie's suggestion that Benning went along (not that this excuses Benning) and Willie just won't give up on his boy. But this player cannot compete at this level.

Others

Virtanen - needs to stop always looking for the hit. Probably confused about his role. Management is telling him to be a banger but then he put in offensive situations. Just let him play rather than type casting him so early. Did not look that good with the Sedins but Sedins were not good so its hard to grade out Virtanen.

Sutter - drifted through the first couple of periods but seemed to come alive in the third when placed with Kenins and Burrows. This is probably where Sutter should be used. This might work decently as 3rd line option.

Corrado -best game so far although still an adventure in his own end.

Fedun - At this point turning into something of an option. Backs in too much and needs to be more assertive in his own end but has been good with the puck on his stick. If he goes down should be a real good player in the AHL.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver

Sedins kenins
baertschi horvat vrbata
burrows mccann hansen
gaunce sutter dorsett
virtanen prust

Right now there are 3 rookies that definitely deserve 9 games:

McCann
Gaunce
Hutton

Then there's Virtanen who I think will develop better at the NHL even though he has a subpar pre-season.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Sutter and Burrows look really good together though.

I agree. I completely agree.

But who do you play with the twins?

Hansen?

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
Baertschi - Horvat - Vrbata
Burrows - Sutter - Dorsett
Gaunce - McCann - someone?

I don't know how to balance this.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Hansen is too useful. Solid vet, can insulate McCann or help on a grinding line with Sutter or Horvat. Add his PK skills, and there's no way he'd be traded instead of Vey. Vey literally brings nothing to the table.

I really like Hansen
But looking at management, if they hold true to what they said about making room for rookies who push for a spot
Who do they trade ?
They just got prust, stuck with Dorsett, probably too soon to trade Vrbata

With management, I just see Hansen being the next piece to fall if they intend to keep to their word with rookies

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
I'd rather Hansen with the twins than Kenins

Hansen cant play a top 6 role with the twins. The qoc is too good.

The kassian kenins line of thought with the twins is on point. Scare the other team to have the puck and open up the ice for them. Then retrieve it with another crunch on the boards.

Hansen cant go in the top 6 just like how i dont wanna see burrows their either they dont have the finish to score anymore than kenins while provding scary physicality. I rather have a more dominate bottom 6.

Kinda just mixing the skill and grit line to line as much as possible.

Clearly the 4th is going to be the garbage goal line while the 3rd has hansen where hes comfortable

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Right now there are 3 rookies that definitely deserve 9 games:

McCann
Gaunce
Hutton

Then there's Virtanen who I think will develop better at the NHL even though he has a subpar pre-season.

Gaunce and Hutton are AHL-eligible so they're exempt from the nine-game requirement

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Gaunce and Hutton are AHL-eligible so they're exempt from the nine-game requirement

Right, totally forgot about that.

Gaunce looks ready for NHL duty right now though. And Hutton deserve opening roster.

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Sbisa
Bartkowski - Hutton

crazyforhockey

Jul 31, 2007
Arizona was one of the best FO teams last year

Vermette 56.0
hanzel 56.5
boyd 55.9.....was with edm LY
chipchurra 51.6

so with boyd they are much better...with richardson too

Status