Post-Game Talk: The Curious Case of Benjamin Hutton -- Canucks win 1-0 (Yes we McCann.) -- Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I like the Hutton-Tanev idea but IDK if I want to throw the kid to the fire right away.

Also I get Sutter is a black sheep around here but he deserves at least one half decent offensive winger option.

Dorsett had a better P/60 at ES last year. Prust wasn't that far back either.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
A ray of hope.

Man that feels good to read.

Hope he's being genuine.

I think he is. Last year he was quite reluctant with Horvat (Benning pushed him) and since he's been proven wrong, I get the impression he is willing to admit mistakes and do the right thing.

McCann and Hutton is the right thing.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
Baertschi - Horvat - Vrby
Gaunce - Sutter - Burrows
Kenins - McCann - Dorsett (swap Gaunce and Kenins if you want)
Prust, Vey*

*if we carry 14 forwards

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Hutton - Bartowski
Sbisa

Miller
Markstrom

Would be my ideal lineup.

Gaunce is a weak skater but on that line I think his smarts could get him places.

Oh, swap Higgins with Gaunce when he's back and send Gaunce down to Utica to cook a bit more.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Am taking that tweet about McCann and Hutton pushing out vets with a grain of salt. Would like to believe it, really I would, but I still sense a disturbance in the force.

I'll believe it when I see it.

But damn, I like McCann and Hutton.

And I really, really want to see a Baertschi/Horvat/Virtanen line, if only for 9 games. What have we got to lose? Give the kids a shot. Nobody give me this "mentoring" crap. Who mentored Gaudreau and Monahan in Calgary last year? Where was the "bring them along slowly while we send out sub-par vets for a couple of seasons" mentality there? Nowhere. And look at the results. Sometimes you just gotta give the kids a shot to grab the brass ring.

My opinion, anyway.

Does McCann give anyone else that Hodgson vibe? The good vibe before it all went to crap. The bar down on Timmy Thomas slap shot vibe... I feel he's going to be very special.

I dunno...how many times has he changed agents so far? That was one thing I always wondered about with Hodgson. There's be an article about him somewhere saying X is his agent, then a month or two later it's some other guy, and so on. Should have raised red flags at the time, but I just thought it was curious.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
1. Vey is actually an ok 13th forward as someone says.

2. Trade higgins. I want gaunce and mccann here now

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Yay go kids!

No words...

IsZF8pX.gif

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Things move so fast this time of year. It's great that the rookies are being taken seriously by the Coach. It's great that Markstrom is actually pushing the starter. It looks like some guys are going to fit in and some guys are going to benefit from the shuffle.

This was Desjardins' first full game. It is a good sign that the team had a good third period.

I will not be shocked to see some unexpected guys on waivers. The AHL push is apparent this year, just like you'd expect when the farm outperforms the big team.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
That was 180 degree turnaround compared to his first San Jose call up.

Utica must have really pumped his tires.

I think Rollie has stopped trying to get him to play further out of his crease. I noticed last year that he was consciously trying to do that more, whereas his natural style is similar to Lundqvist (style only) in that he likes to play deeper. Granted Marky has 6 inches on Henke so it's not so detrimental in opening up over the shoulders when he does.

Not the most modern style and there's still holes in it but I don't think we should try and mess with what obviously works for him.

Definitely impressed that his athleticism has improved at the NHL level though.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Things move so fast this time of year. It's great that the rookies are being taken seriously by the Coach. It's great that Markstrom is actually pushing the starter. It looks like some guys are going to fit in and some guys are going to benefit from the shuffle.

This was Desjardins' first full game. It is a good sign that the team had a good third period.

I will not be shocked to see some unexpected guys on waivers. The AHL push is apparent this year, just like you'd expect when the farm outperforms the big team.

I really like the youth coming in this year. So much potential compared to last year where it was only Shinkaruk and Horvat.

Just think, but the end of the season, we could have:

Baertschi
McCann
Hutton
Gaunce
Virtanen

You can make an argument for any of these players to play 82 games.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Glad to see Willie sending vets a message. He mentioned McCann and Hutton but didn't mention Virtanen and Gaunce (although maybe because he didn't play). I think we'll be a better defensive team than last year but the offence will be slow to come at the beginning of the season. Markstrom has been stellar and he is more confident, sharper, and ready to go than Miller right now. He won us the game tonight. I can see why some people think Sutter has played poorly but he's a really good player if the defence can get the puck out of the zone, he makes quick passes to the wing, gets into the forecheck quickly and has speed. Baertschi was good as well, really quick and smart decisions.

The defence just didn't get the puck to the forwards quick enough and we were missing our top-pairing. Fedun, Sbisa, Corrado, Hamhuis, didn't have their best games and made it hard on the forwards. I really liked what I saw from the forwards though so far playing with a lot of speed and keeping possession in the o-zone. Cracknell is doing pretty well. He's a big body and hard to handle in the cycle, effort is never a question, he goes to the dirty areas and front of the net. Yeah he's not a flashy player but with all this skill and youngsters you win games with a guy like Cracknell balancing the line-up. First call-up until Shinkaruk becomes a AHL star for Utica.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
i'm hoping for the best for Markstrom but he really needs to string some wins against quality opposition before i'll truly buy the hype. He beat Arizona last year as well. The team is poop and is expected to be bottom 3 in the league. That said he looked solid tonight. I'll welcome the storm he hopefully creates.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I think Rollie has stopped trying to get him to play further out of his crease. I noticed last year that he was consciously trying to do that more, whereas his natural style is similar to Lundqvist (style only) in that he likes to play deeper. Granted Marky has 6 inches on Henke so it's not so detrimental in opening up over the shoulders when he does.

Not the most modern style and there's still holes in it but I don't think we should try and mess with what obviously works for him.

I think his athleticism has always been there. That was his downfall. He understands how to use it better.

He understands now that the basis of goaltending is your positioning. He would over commit laterally SO much because his positioning was always fractionally off, and he was sitting awkwardly in net. He'd be very exposed.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver

That's what I noticed as well. What Garrett said was spot on, he didn't need to curl his shoulders up because he was partially standing.

C'mon, 6'6. There's not going to be much to shoot at.

He definitely has a lot of potential. Hopefully a Ben Bishop and Lundqvist hybrid.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I think his athleticism has always been there. That was his downfall. He understands how to use it better.

He understands now that the basis of goaltending is your positioning. He would over commit laterally SO much because his positioning was always fractionally off, and he was sitting awkwardly in net. He'd be very exposed.

Good point.

He has had some knee surgeries though so maybe that's why I thought his athletic ability was kind of off the last while. :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad