Post-Game Talk: The Curious Case of Benjamin Hutton -- Canucks win 1-0 (Yes we McCann.) -- Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I agree. I completely agree.

But who do you play with the twins?

Hansen?

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
Baertschi - Horvat - Vrbata
Burrows - Sutter - Dorsett
Gaunce - McCann - someone?

I don't know how to balance this.

Hansen has done okay with the twins in the past for periods of time. Probably the most logical answer. Might force the twins to shoot the puck more. :laugh:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
So should Linden. :sarcasm:

I know the mods don't like management talk here, but I'll respond to this - I don't like Linden.

I was born post-1994, so I have no connection to the man.

All I see is a guy who was respected for what he did then and I understand that, but is now just somewhat annoying as president.

Hansen has done okay with the twins in the past for periods of time. Probably the most logical answer. Might force the twins to shoot the puck more. :laugh:

Yeah, but the problem is that we then have Dorsett in a third line role.

That's unbalanced IMO.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver

Why not just put Burrows there again. Burrows isn't a 25-35 goal scorer without the Sedins. Even though it's been a while since he's last hit those numbers, rather just have him play with the Sedins.

Hansen has more speed than Burrows and would be a good linemate with Sutter.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Gong show in the first two periods in their own end and Markstrom certainly had to bail them out. Showed some signs (finally) of cohesion in the third and maybe something to build off.

Liked

Markstrom - looks so big and confident. Looks like he is finally realizing the immense potential that most saw for him. Absurd in hindsight that Benning exposed him to waivers. Problem might be that if Markstrom is too good might ruin any chance for lottery pick (something the Canucks truly need). However, management will probably go with Miller which should improve lottery possibilities

McCann - looked lost on the wing and only emerged when he was given some decent linemates. Wicked shot on the goal. If they keep Vey over McCann there should be a revolt.

Baertschi - by far his best effort. Couple of nice dangles and good compete along the boards. Needs to get away from Sutter.

Cracknell - other than wiping out Grenier had a good game. Was a presence around the net. Skating wasn't as big an issue in this game although there were times he got tied up in his own zone. (but you could say this about almost everyone). Cracknell should not be in the NHL but give him some credit for looking dangerous in this game.

Hutton - not perfect but holding his own. Two things to like are his intelligent puck movement and his ability to recover back if the puck is moved past him. Very good first step and has NHL size. Maybe the best of the young players to date. Right now better than Corrado

Kenins - thought he had an effective game. Needs to be in a checking role

Weber - doing a good job of lugging the puck out of trouble. I think he is clearly in your top 4.

Did Not Like

Grenier - showed his big asset - speed and stick handling from the blue line in but otherwise was clumsy and often out of position. Looked confused in his own end and too slow in reacting to the play. Would think he is headed down soon.

Sbisa - Liked his physical play early but got real sloppy as the game went on. Has got to use his wheels to shorten up his passes and support play in the neutral zone. Guy has some periods of good play but then seems to tire and stop skating.

Vey - terrible. How much do they have to see. Made a couple of cute passes but he is a wreck in his own end and most of shifts were spent uselessly chasing around after people in his own end. Looked dispirited and beat and probably just wants out. I think that last year he was Willie's suggestion that Benning went along (not that this excuses Benning) and Willie just won't give up on his boy. But this player cannot compete at this level.

Others

Virtanen - needs to stop always looking for the hit. Probably confused about his role. Management is telling him to be a banger but then he put in offensive situations. Just let him play rather than type casting him so early. Did not look that good with the Sedins but Sedins were not good so its hard to grade out Virtanen.

Sutter - drifted through the first couple of periods but seemed to come alive in the third when placed with Kenins and Burrows. This is probably where Sutter should be used. This might work decently as 3rd line option.

Corrado -best game so far although still an adventure in his own end.

Fedun - At this point turning into something of an option. Backs in too much and needs to be more assertive in his own end but has been good with the puck on his stick. If he goes down should be a real good player in the AHL.

As always, thanks for this breakdown orcatown. I look forward to these after every game.

Think they deserve their own threads too.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
I know the mods don't like management talk here, but I'll respond to this - I don't like Linden.

I was born post-1994, so I have no connection to the man.

All I see is a guy who was respected for what he did then and I understand that, but is now just somewhat annoying as president.

Yeah, but the problem is that we then have Dorsett in a third line role.

That's unbalanced IMO.

IDK, swap Gaunce and Dorsett, play Burrows on the right until Higgins comes back?

Either that or put Vey on the wing until we're healthy.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
I think Higgins or Gaunce with Sutter and Hansen would be a good checking line FWIW.

Vey anywhere brings down a line. Sutter can hold his own with his speed and defense. Vey is just useless @ TPM.

Gaunce hasn't played RW once in Utica I think

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
If we keep McCann ( I think he deserves to stay), I rather use Horvat as the shutdown role and McCann in a more sheltered role.

1 Sedin Sedin Burrows
3a Gaunce McCann Vrbata
3b Kenins Horvat Hansen
4 Prust Sutter Dorsett

Hutton Tanev
Edler Bartkowski
Hamhuis Weber

Miller - Markstrom - Markstrom continue to look excellent

Just play the kids.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Calling plagiarism on the thread title :sarcasm:

Good to see Hutton continue to do well. Loving his ability to move the puck and he seems to ooze offense especially on the PP.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
If we keep McCann ( I think he deserves to stay), I rather use Horvat as the shutdown role and McCann in a more sheltered role.

1 Sedin Sedin Burrows
3a Gaunce McCann Vrbata
3b Kenins Horvat Hansen
4 Prust Sutter Dorsett

Hutton Tanev
Edler Bartkowski
Hamhuis Weber

Just play the kids.

I like the Hutton-Tanev idea but IDK if I want to throw the kid to the fire right away.

Also I get Sutter is a black sheep around here but he deserves at least one half decent offensive winger option.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta

1 Sedin Sedin Burrows
3a Gaunce McCann Vrbata
3b Kenins Horvat Hansen
4 Prust Sutter Dorsett

Hutton Tanev
Edler Bartkowski
Hamhuis Weber

Just play the kids.

pretty funny that they justified trading Kassian to make room for young players. Yet, the right side has all the usual suspects while Prust may well block a deserving player from making this team. Plus you forgot Baertschi.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
Baertschi - Horvat - Vrby
Gaunce - Sutter - Burrows
Kenins - McCann - Dorsett (swap Gaunce and Kenins if you want)
Prust, Vey*

*if we carry 14 forwards

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Hutton - Bartowski
Sbisa

Miller
Markstrom

Would be my ideal lineup.

Gaunce is a weak skater but on that line I think his smarts could get him places.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Have a feeling gaunce horvat and mccann are the three centers of the ontario gods sent to save us from cup purgatory

SaltySnipes*

Does McCann give anyone else that Hodgson vibe? The good vibe before it all went to crap. The bar down on Timmy Thomas slap shot vibe... I feel he's going to be very special.

SaltySnipes*

Sedin - Sedin - Hansen
Baertschi - Horvat - Vrby
Gaunce - Sutter - Burrows
Kenins - McCann - Dorsett
Prust, Vey*

*if we carry 14 forwards

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Hutton - Bartowski
Sbisa

Miller
Markstrom

Would be my ideal lineup.

Gaunce is a weak skater but on that line I think his smarts could get him places.

We can only hope. That would be perfect.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Yeah okay I guess we agree then. Hansen/Burrows interchangeable.

Miller will start as #1, but my god he's looked awful this preseason.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Lots things to like...

I actually liked the look of Baert-Vey-Vrbata... they had a number of effective shifts. It showed me Vey will be a fine fill when needed. As much as people hate Vey... he is the perfect 13th forward to play 60-70 times a yr all over the line up.

Cracknell had a very good game.. cemented as first call up if he makes it thru waivers for us...

Kids looked good. Virtanen doesn't look threatening enough offensively... but he looks like a NHL player to me. His speed and physicality should keep him up past 9 gms imo. Let him figure it out here while rattling some cages in the meanwhile.

Did not like.. Corrado. Hutton clearly is out playing him.. i don't remember Corrado being bad at handling the puck... he's just not good with it right now.

Weber was not in good form. Looked better on the PP.

Sutter was so good defensively all game. Didn't flash much in the offensive zone till the third, but man is he hard to do anything against.

Markstrom... goooooooooood. Looks like he's a tier above where Lack was at the same age.. Exciting for us.

Vrbata has wheels this preseason. He's skating really well. All the vets look like they're working the rust off their hands... but Vrby's legs look like they are already here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad