The Core Has To Go

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
They changed some players but it still looked like the same strategy.
The thing is that if fans can see that, coaches and players can see that too. Why hasn’t there been any changes to the strategy? Keefe and Dubas can’t be that stubborn and stupid. Could it just be the fact that the top guys refuse to play the way Keefe and Dubas want them to play? Or it is simply they just can’t be productive other than playing the way they do?
We kept saying Keefe didn’t use JT, ROR and AM on three lines right away….why are AM and MM glue together…. Instead of saying the boys demand it, it could very well be Keefe is trying to let the top guys be more comfortable bc they couldn’t play any other ways.
AM floats a lot more in the ICE when MM is on his line.
MM tends to look to AM all the time when they play together.
JT seemed lost whenever Willie got the puck and couldn’t produce by himself.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Maybe if Marner wouldn't post his trappings on social media the morning following elimination, it wouldn't be such a big deal.

If you were rich and just eliminated and feeling down, you think you wouldn’t go out and buy something you want possibly as early as the very next day?

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
They need to at least change the coach…….minimum. If not they Treliving is either a joke or a Shanny puppet

Reactions: Burkeocet

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
If you were rich and just eliminated and feeling down, you think you wouldn’t go out and buy something you want possibly as early as the very next day?
Sure but his point was he posted it essentially sticking it in peoples' faces. That's not cool.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Buying it and telling the World about it are two different things.

I think there is nothing wrong with how Leafs players or people in general spend their own time but if you are a public figure, you need to be careful.
Pro athletes really should have someone running their social medias

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Buying it and telling the World about it are two different things.

I think there is nothing wrong with how Leafs players or people in general spend their own time but if you are a public figure, you need to be careful.
Pro athletes really should have someone running their social medias

Maybe in general, but this situation specially I honestly think this is completely irrelevant.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022

Probably I would, but Marner didn't look too down in his Instagram posts.

Or they could at least assume some of the blame but in their minds it’s never their fault

Which is why I'm hesitant on signing the kids to bigger contracts.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Maybe in general, but this situation specially I honestly think this is completely irrelevant.
1. Why do you think it is irrelevant?

Honestly, like I said, public figures should have someone manages their accounts and if they want to post personal stuff, have a completely different account just for your own personal families and friends.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
1. Why do you think it is irrelevant?

Honestly, like I said, public figures should have someone manages their accounts and if they want to post personal stuff, have a completely different account just for your own personal families and friends.
I’m with you. These guys do themselves no favours with the social media.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I’m with you. These guys do themselves no favours with the social media.
Exactly. What a lot of athletes still don't understand is that they are PUBLIC FIGURES much like POTUS or PM of Canada or King Charles....people following them on social medias actually want to see whats going on in their lives and you need to be very careful in which part of your life you are sharing.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Or they could at least assume some of the blame but in their minds it’s never their fault
Exactly, you look at the post game presser from the Celtics players after Game 3, none of them said they were a few bounces away or if only some of their shots are falling, they all pretty said, they sucked, they knew they are better, they knew they need to do a lot better, and one of them even said it was an embarrassment the way they played for the fans, team and organizations. Now those might just be lip service, even though they came back and forced a Game 7, but at the very least, they knew they sucked. While our top guys just continue the narrative of we didn't get the bounces. What made it worst is the fact that there are quite a few fans that believe them and defend them like they were just unlucky with their advanced stats.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

JUICY LEAFS TALK WITH DARREN DREGER | Leafs Morning Take - June 21st

The Leafs Nation

June 21, 2023

With the NHL Draft just a week away, business is starting to pick up around the league. TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger joined Nick Alberga & Jay Rosehill to touch on the very latest in Leafs Nation.

So, what exactly will new Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brad Treliving be doing with the "Core 4" of John Tavares, Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner and William Nylander?

If this prediction from TSN analyst Darren Dreger holds true, there will be a massive upheaval this time next year in Toronto should they once again fail to make a deep postseason run.

While speaking with Leafs Morning Take with Nick Alberga and Jay Rosehill, Dreger expressed his belief that the Core 4 has reached "the end of the runway". He also appeared to hint at a coaching change.

"I think that the Core 4 is at the end of the runway. I really, truly do.. I side with Shanahan and I side with Brad Treliving in recognizing the skill set of these players. Now, if the maturity moves up another notch... I think they can win with these guys, and if they can't, then guess what - when you have me on next June, there will be significant change, and it will come in varying forms and not just the roster."

The Leafs have already indicated that all four players will be back in Toronto next season, and it looks as though they'll be keeping head coach Sheldon Keefe around for at least one more season.

But based on Dreger's words, it all could come to a crashing halt next summer.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020

JUICY LEAFS TALK WITH DARREN DREGER | Leafs Morning Take - June 21st

The Leafs Nation

June 21, 2023

With the NHL Draft just a week away, business is starting to pick up around the league. TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger joined Nick Alberga & Jay Rosehill to touch on the very latest in Leafs Nation.

So, what exactly will new Toronto Maple Leafs general manager Brad Treliving be doing with the "Core 4" of John Tavares, Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner and William Nylander?

If this prediction from TSN analyst Darren Dreger holds true, there will be a massive upheaval this time next year in Toronto should they once again fail to make a deep postseason run.

While speaking with Leafs Morning Take with Nick Alberga and Jay Rosehill, Dreger expressed his belief that the Core 4 has reached "the end of the runway". He also appeared to hint at a coaching change.

"I think that the Core 4 is at the end of the runway. I really, truly do.. I side with Shanahan and I side with Brad Treliving in recognizing the skill set of these players. Now, if the maturity moves up another notch... I think they can win with these guys, and if they can't, then guess what - when you have me on next June, there will be significant change, and it will come in varying forms and not just the roster."

The Leafs have already indicated that all four players will be back in Toronto next season, and it looks as though they'll be keeping head coach Sheldon Keefe around for at least one more season.

But based on Dreger's words, it all could come to a crashing halt next summer.

So I guess accord ing to him 8 years of failure is the magic number not 7. Interesting

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Looks like Treliving has been approved to change just about everything wrong with this team except what's actually wrong with this team: the core.

Since 2018, when Tavares was signed, the Leafs have changed their coach, GM, and every other player on the team, with the exception of MNMT+R.

Every year the Leafs run it back with the same failed core. And every year desperate fans hope they will go on a magical Cinderella run in the playoffs. Only to get disappointed by the same scrotumless failures each postseason.

The Leafs have accumulated a very expensive group of players that don't have the gonads to win when it matters most.

But that won't stop Brendan Shanahan from running it back again this year. You know what they always say: If at first you don't succeed, pick yourself up and try again.

And again and again and again and again and again and again and again.

I'm sure this time it's for real though. All those other times this same group of losers failed so miserably? Don't worry about those.

These guys are for sure gonna get the job done this time around.

And if not, they'll just try again next year. If you don't like it, they don't care. They're just gonna keep doing the same thing over and over again anyway.

Like Homer on the ground running around in circles.

"Whee whee whee whee whee....."

Last edited:
Reactions: JKG33

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad