The Coming Big Dump

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
A good team doesn't react to what happened before they anticipate what will happen next. We are currently reacting as we have every year to what we needed prior years. We aren't anticipating right now. Poile needs to think ahead not behind. (I'm still optimistic he'll sign another forward soon or trade for one.)
Yeah, next you are going to rob us of resources, move up the timeline and tell us we just have to work smarter. :laugh:

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Poile and Trotz said in the presser that they wanted to be strong up the middle and with Fisher, Legwand, Cullins, and Gaustad they think we are stronger than the team has even been at that position. Wilson will stay at wing and those 4 will be our centers.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Poile and Trotz said in the presser that they wanted to be strong up the middle and with Fisher, Legwand, Cullins, and Gaustad they think we are stronger than the team has even been at that position. Wilson will stay at wing and those 4 will be our centers.

Had a feeling Wilson would stick to wing. I think that is the smart thing to do.

I do like our center strength, and while it's true it's the best C depth we've ever had, I would have preferred something like:

Grabovsky/Ribeiro/Roy
Fisher
Legwand/Cullen
Gaustad

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Had a feeling Wilson would stick to wing. I think that is the smart thing to do.

I do like our center strength, and while it's true it's the best C depth we've ever had, I would have preferred something like:

Grabovsky/Ribeiro/Roy
Fisher
Legwand/Cullen
Gaustad

Playing armchair GM and not having to spend my own money, I'd pick up Grabo and have a trade in place for Goose and Spals. While we are currently strong down the middle, all three are similar. One scorer would be nice

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009

I'm not so sure Wilson will stay at Wing beyond this season. He wasn't mentioned in the presser. Last I heard was he was on track to move to center before the lockout and his shoulder injury. Trotz was finally feeling comfortable with his play. I can see Leggy or Fisher in a trade with Wilson takin their spot.

cleangene63

Jan 25, 2006
Beautiful Bellevue
Good ole EK has Vanek "in play" on HockeyBuzz. Would/should GMDP still have something possibly working to make him that DYNAMIC, proven scorer that is still needed as a true threat?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Good ole EK has Vanek "in play" on HockeyBuzz. Would/should GMDP still have something possibly working to make him that DYNAMIC, proven scorer that is still needed as a true threat?

If Vanek is in play you can bet Poile is inquiring. I am sure the initial asking price would include Forsberg if not Wilson but honestly I dont know how much Buffalo can get for a guy with a 7 million dolllar cap hit and only signed for one year even if he is a 30+ goal scorer.

The problem for us would be how to shed salary to make room for him. We would almost have to send Smith back just to clear salary and I dont know if they would want him.

Preds101

Jul 5, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
If Vanek is in play you can bet Poile is inquiring. I am sure the initial asking price would include Forsberg if not Wilson but honestly I dont know how much Buffalo can get for a guy with a 7 million dolllar cap hit and only signed for one year even if he is a 30+ goal scorer.

The problem for us would be how to shed salary to make room for him. We would almost have to send Smith back just to clear salary and I dont know if they would want him.

Would you be willing to send Forsberg so soon? I am all for improving the team but we have only seen 9 games of Forsberg and he is on an EL contract till 2016. I am not sure I am ready to deal him yet, and doesn't it fill our hole at center but then just create an hole at whichever wing he plays?

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Would you be willing to send Forsberg so soon? I am all for improving the team but we have only seen 9 games of Forsberg and he is on an EL contract till 2016. I am not sure I am ready to deal him yet, and doesn't it fill our hole at center but then just create an hole at whichever wing he plays?

no, that was my point... if the asking price for Vanek is Forsberg, Poile will not do that.

but I think Vanek, with his 7 million cap hit, and only signed for one more year, isnt going to get the huge return a player like him would have got in days gone by.

he's basically more like a rental, and his trade return will reflect that.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
If it's a sign-and-trade I would listen to Buffalo if they are looking for Forsberg for Vanek, but if it's Vanek with only a year left on his deal I'm not comfortable giving up more than maybe Watson and a pick.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
If it's a sign-and-trade I would listen to Buffalo if they are looking for Forsberg for Vanek, but if it's Vanek with only a year left on his deal I'm not comfortable giving up more than maybe Watson and a pick.

That's a lateral move at best with Forsberg. Why give up a kid on an ELC who looks to be every bit as good as Vanek in the near future? We finally get a blue chip prospect and we want to sell him off for Vanek? No thank you.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
That's a lateral move at best with Forsberg. Why give up a kid on an ELC who looks to be every bit as good as Vanek in the near future? We finally get a blue chip prospect and we want to sell him off for Vanek? No thank you.

see, this is the mentality that kills me... Forsberg MAY turn out to be good but he could still Blum himself right out of the league or simply be the next Erat, which would be very good but not great.

A signed Vanek, is an immediate infusion of 30-35 goals and its not like the guys is ancient.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
see, this is the mentality that kills me... Forsberg MAY turn out to be good but he could still Blum himself right out of the league or simply be the next Erat, which would be very good but not great.

A signed Vanek, is an immediate infusion of 30-35 goals and its not like the guys is ancient.

LOL. So we clamor for an elite prospect, a kid who should've been taken top 5 in last years draft but fell because of a run on a defensemen, much like how Jones fell this year with a run on forwards, yet we should throw him away because he could Blum himself AND because it gives us a goal scorer. Wow. Vanek, while a very good player is not an elite player. Forsberg has the potential to be an elite player and forgive me for wanting to give him the chance to pan out.

I have seen your posts lately and while you want the team to get back on its feet right away, you're wanting to sell the farm now to give up long term viability. Vanek should be good for another 5-6 years if his body doesn't break down, Forsberg should be good for the next 15-16 years. If we were on the cusp of needing that one extra piece to become Stanley Cup contenders and Vanek would push us over the top, sure, trade Forsberg and go for it. We aren't. I'd hate for Vanek to be Niewendyk and Forsberg to be Iginla and while that sounds sexy, we aren't winning the Cup this year. Poile is building for the future at this point. This team is a good year away from being a contender as some of the young kids get their legs under them.

So every time we get a good prospect we should trade them because they might Blum themselves? That may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. You are a big Poile and Trotz supporter. Do you not have the belief and faith in them that they can develop Forsberg in to the player everyone thinks that he is? Any player that is drafted or traded for could ***** the bed. Yet how many of those players are elite level prospects. Maybe we should trade Jones for Coburn while we're at it since Coburn is a good player and Jones could Blum himself.

Me personally, I'd rather run with the kids in the system and watch them develop together in to something then trading them off for a guy who's almost 30 who might score 25-30 goals playing on our team and may not even fit. Granted, Forsberg may never fit either but if he doesn't, it doesn't cost us very much, with Vanek, we're giving up an elite prospect and having to pay him big money to play here. Sorry but that doesn't entice me very much to want to make that sort of move.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Vanek hasn't had a season with less than 60 pts. since 2005/06 (not including this shortened season) and most seasons over 30 goals, while just about to turn 30. If we snagged that talent for an unproven Forsberg, I'd be thrilled. If Forsberg ends up being half as good as Vanek, he's top-6 talent, especially on the Preds.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Vanek hasn't had a season with less than 60 pts. since 2005/06 (not including this shortened season) and most seasons over 30 goals, while just about to turn 30. If we snagged that talent for an unproven Forsberg, I'd be thrilled. If Forsberg ends up being half as good as Vanek, he's top-6 talent, especially on the Preds.

Glenn, this is my point.... Forsberg, as good as he might be, is still a prospect, and doesnt have his first NHL goal yet.

Trading him for a SIGNED Vanek, who would be ours for the next 5 years, is not "throwing him away", its trading an unproven prospect for a proven 30 goal scorer. thats an easy call.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
One - Fisher isn't going anywhere! Carrie would have none of that!
Two - We still do NOT have a true top 6 C after all of the moves that were made!
Three - I like the VS signing BUT he is not the answer to our top 6 issue. I can't believe we did not grab Grabo, Roy, Filppula or even Weiss as a top 6 C. You could have even looked at Antropov or Ribiero.
And Lastly Four - Lets just hope and pray that all of our surgeries that have taken place over the summer actually work and the players are healed and ready and our young'uns can step up and make a contribution or it could be a long season...

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
One - Fisher isn't going anywhere! Carrie would have none of that!
Two - We still do NOT have a true top 6 C after all of the moves that were made!
Three - I like the VS signing BUT he is not the answer to our top 6 issue. I can't believe we did not grab Grabo, Roy, Filppula or even Weiss as a top 6 C. You could have even looked at Antropov or Ribiero.
And Lastly Four - Lets just hope and pray that all of our surgeries that have taken place over the summer actually work and the players are healed and ready and our young'uns can step up and make a contribution or it could be a long season...

well, Grabovski is still out there, Roy has to pass a physical yet, Fippula would be nice but not 5 million nice, and Weiss definitely wouldnt be nice at 5 million

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
well, Grabovski is still out there, Roy has to pass a physical yet, Fippula would be nice but not 5 million nice, and Weiss definitely wouldnt be nice at 5 million

Yes Grabovski (.591ppg) is still available and is expecting to get more than his contract from Toronto! Roy (.770ppg) still has to pass his physical. Not sure I would have paid Fippula (.519ppg) or Weiss (.602ppg) what they are getting. Ribiero (.776ppg, 49pts in 48gms) I might have made an offer for.

I really really hope we have made enough moves to get a lot better! We may be bigger and grittier but that still doesn't put the puck in the net. I think games of 1-0 and 2-1 will be common place this next season and hopefully we will be on the winning side.

Infinite Jest

Apr 26, 2013

Filppula, Weiss and even Grabovski are pretty much even offensively with Cullen or slight upgrades at best. Ribeiro wanted to reunite with his old coach. Roy was probably an upgrade on offense, though he hasn't been the same since his latest injury. Roy is inferior to Cullen in size, speed, defense and faceoffs though. Antropov? For real? At this stage of his career, Antropov is not the answer. Unless the question is: Which free agent is the largest and slowest?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

"Quick, trade him before he busts and folks still somehow think he has value!"

There are players who are borderline enough that a trade for someone like Vanek makes sense. Forsberg isn't one of them.

KreamofAskarov

Here for fun
Dec 26, 2010
Canada

Feels weird to see us needing to shed salary haha

I agree with keeping Forsberg. I got a good feeling about the kid, he was the reason I didn't feel to bad on drafting Jones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad