Post-Game Talk: The Comeback Kids get it done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I really hope you’re correct but the rapid 180 in form of a premier defensive dman that has all been since return from a major injury is quite scary. Dumo also was incredibly consistent and played such a simple game that idk if he’s the type who needs a ton of warming up. Remember how he used to just lap the rest of the team in their camp skating testing?

I think 87/71 are fine. Jake and Zucker will be fine. But I am worried about Dumo.

Yeah, I’m incredibly leery of that ankle. Ankle injuries have hindered players before even if they don’t have the instant dread of a knee injury. It could be a coincidence and he’ll be fine a couple of weeks from now but it’s a real concern for me. Maybe it’s just that he wasn’t 100% last season and needs to work into shape now so it’s looking bad. Maybe it just isn’t the same and won’t be.

That being said, I don’t think he’s an untouchable paragon of consistency that can’t have a bad stretch so it might be a plain old rough stretch unrelated to anything. He does have those, they’re just not of the “omg trade him! Over the hill!!!” panic variety. I’ll die on the hill that his rookie season was his most consistent. He’s still very consistent, just not incapable of having a rough time all by himself.

The thing I wonder about Dumo, and most of the guys struggling if we're honest, is how much of an impact the lack of a training camp + pre-season is affecting the start of their seasons.

More than they’ll admit in the immediate future but I expect we’ll eventually hear how hard it was. A lot of the games I’ve seen or seen parts of look sloppier than you’d expect. Lots of timing and decision making not being quite right, or precision missing that little bit.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Is Sully too far gone to realize that EFraud doesn’t belong on the top line? Do you think it even occurs to him that the first line clicked after he was injured?

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
came back to post this....made a mistake went down the twitter rabbit hole after DK had some rather harsh twitts about Geno's effort, holy shit! How much hate and vicious attacks...you'd think they are talking about someone who killed Mario, someone who for years has been deliberately cheating and sabotaging Penguins...gosh I hate majority of humans in Pittsburgh,

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
came back to post this....made a mistake went down the twitter rabbit hole after DK had some rather harsh twitts about Geno's effort, holy shit! How much hate and vicious attacks...you'd think they are talking about someone who killed Mario, someone who for years has been deliberately cheating and sabotaging Penguins...gosh I hate majority of humans in Pittsburgh,

It’s much easier for PIT to follow the “he isn’t trying” line then admit their org and coaching staff might be f***ing it up.

Malkin is obviously someone who cares too much and isn’t happy with his game.

@KIRK made a comment that we are no longer the Pittsburgh Crosby’s but that isn’t true. Rust got ripped from Malkin the second Rodrigues left his line.

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Healthy Rodrigues: 0 goals.
Hurt Rodrigues 3 goals.

He only played half a game, and still had 9 minutes of icetime. Kapanen had 13.5 while playing the whole game.

This is going to get Craig Adams level of awful real fast.

Rodrigues is not an NHL player.

Reactions: wizmet12

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Hurt Rodrigues 3 goals.

He only played half a game, and still had 9 minutes of icetime. Kapanen had 13.5 while playing the whole game.

Erod is definitely an NHL player..

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Hurt Rodrigues 3 goals.

Honestly, I'd argue it's getting worse than the Adams situation because at least Adams was relegated to the 4th line, even if he was used in more defensive situations than he should have been.

E-Rod has been stapled to the top line no matter how many plays he kills. It literally took him injuring himself on a delayed offside for Sullivan to make the switch to an actual talented winger in that spot, and look what happened. 2 goals for that line and it generally looked dangerous because the third guy isn't an anchor.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
If Sid and Geno were still at their actual offensive peaks - which I sadly didn't get to see - we'd probably be 6-0-0 and the rest of the league would be on anxiety meds. Crosby's still really good and Malkin was very recently and hopefully gets back there, but they're not quite the same.
Crosby will be top 5 in scoring book it

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
On another note, Marino is doing yeoman's work having to carry around Ceci. My God, Ceci can't even make the most basic of plays. I swear he's regressed terribly since his Ottawa days. He was never that good, but he could at least make halfway decent outlet passes. Now, it's like watching a right-handed Jack Johnson.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
On another note, Marino is doing yeoman's work having to carry around Ceci. My God, Ceci can't even make the most basic of plays. I swear he's regressed terribly since his Ottawa days. He was never that good, but he could at least make halfway decent outlet passes. Now, it's like watching a right-handed Jack Johnson.

He seemed to be "okay" tonight. I mean, with Matheson, Riikola, and Pettersson hurt, I'm going to give him a pass since that is f***ing ridiculous.

But yeah, if this staff makes him a regular after our team gets healthy f*** them to hell.

The big thing I notice about Ceci that differs from Jack Johnson is he can single handily get the puck out of the zone without too much of a flub, he actually uses his size to his advantage, and he can hold a blue line when we have the puck in the o-zone. He is just as awful in from to the net though.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He seemed to be "okay" tonight. I mean, with Matheson, Riikola, and Pettersson hurt, I'm going to give him a pass since that is f***ing ridiculous.

But yeah, if this staff makes him a regular after our team gets healthy f*** them to hell.

The big thing I notice about Ceci that differs from Jack Johnson is he can single handily get the puck out of the zone without too much of a flub, he actually uses his size to his advantage, and he can hold a blue line when we have the puck in the o-zone. He is just as awful in from to the net though.

I thought he did a poor job either tying up or fronting Blackwell on the 1st goal, and he was kind of swimming around without actually taking anyone on the Strome goal. I also thought he fumbled a lot of easy breakout passes and reversals to Marino.

I think the only areas he's got on Johnson are he's probably got a better ability to keep pucks in at the O-zone blueline and can create a bit more offense than Johnson's blackhole hot potato action, and he's better at lugging the puck up the ice as long as the forecheck isn't too strong.

I kind of wish they either went with POJ next to Marino, or if they were going to play Marino on his off side anyway, Ruhwedel next to Marino so the second pairing could be a decent second pairing.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I thought he did a poor job either tying up or fronting Blackwell on the 1st goal, and he was kind of swimming around without actually taking anyone on the Strome goal. I also thought he fumbled a lot of easy breakout passes and reversals to Marino.

I think the only areas he's got on Johnson are he's probably got a better ability to keep pucks in at the O-zone blueline and can create a bit more offense than Johnson's blackhole hot potato action, and he's better at lugging the puck up the ice as long as the forecheck isn't too strong.

I kind of wish they either went with POJ next to Marino, or if they were going to play Marino on his off side anyway, Ruhwedel next to Marino so the second pairing could be a decent second pairing.

They did run a couple shifts with POJ and Marino throughout tonight.

It does not seem like Sullivan is very amused with Ceci which is a good sign. That being said he played 22 minutes tonight.

Question is what the organization does like Matheson if he has more G1 type performances versus G2 type performances.

If Pettersson comes back I'd run POJ - Marino / Pettersson - Ruhwedel as our bottom six in a heart beat.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
They did run a couple shifts with POJ and Marino throughout tonight.

It does not seem like Sullivan is very amused with Ceci which is a good sign. That being said he played 22 minutes tonight.

Question is what the organization does like Matheson if he has more G1 type performances versus G2 type performances.

If Pettersson comes back I'd run POJ - Marino / Pettersson - Ruhwedel as our bottom six in a heart beat.

Ceci got more minutes than Marino. He got over twice as many minutes as Ruhwedel.

I swear this team likes to play bad players way too much for some reason.

Reactions: Gurglesons

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
What's up with Lafreniere? 0 points and a -2 in 5 games. If we had won the draft I wonder if he would still be at the same totals?

Probably...would have been on the 4th line with Kapanen and Blueger LOL!!

Reactions: Gurglesons

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
What's up with Lafreniere? 0 points and a -2 in 5 games. If we had won the draft I wonder if he would still be at the same totals?

Probably...would have been on the 4th line with Kapanen and Blueger LOL!!

Sir that's a damn fine scoring line, mind your disrespect ;)

Reactions: 66-30-33

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
POJ already looks better than the ~5 mil per, 6 year deal Matheson.

Almost like we shouldn't have traded Hornqvist - the "rapidly declining" winger with 3 goals and 1 assist in 2 games - for him.

Reactions: ChaosAgent
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad